Yeti GOBOX Collection

Crossbow during archery season bill.

These threads always end the same. The 'no' camp usually all shoot compound bows with all the bells and whistles and can kill chit out to 40-60+ yards pretty easily.

I think archery season should go back to traditional only, no sights, no carbon... cedar and flint only. If you can't get it done with that you should just stay home.

Killed that elk last year with a Flintlock, did ya:D

You have to where mocassins, use buffalo or elk hide for a sleeping bag, and walk 10 miles, up and down at least 1000 ft, before you can shoot using your teeth. Is that the bill you NO guys would support?

You have to where mocassins, use buffalo or elk hide for a sleeping bag, and walk 10 miles, up and down at least 1000 ft, before you can shoot using your teeth. Is that the bill you NO guys would support?

No mocassins allowed. Then I will accept.

The bill passed our senate with an amendment on monday. Grayson county, where our state record archery buck came from a few years ago on a walk in public hunt, will remain archery only. The house has to concur with the Grayson county amendment and the governor has to not veto it and it will be law.

The bill passed our senate with an amendment on monday. Grayson county, where our state record archery buck came from a few years ago on a walk in public hunt, will remain archery only. The house has to concur with the Grayson county amendment and the governor has to not veto it and it will be law.

Why is Grayson County unique?

Apparantly back in 1975, according to the Lone Star Bowhunters Association (LSBA), it was negotiated that Texas Parks and Wildlife have an archery tag we buy from the state in exchange, there would be an archery only season for deer and turkey. Grayson county is a good place for the legislature to honor that agreement from back then. I didn't go to the committee meetings but know LSBA was campaigning to keep that 1975 agreement honored, so the senate came up with a way to honor it.

Tom:

You started this post, so my thought is vote however you want.

I am growing tired of all the weapons choice requests. Eveyone wants their own season. Pretty soon, the slingshotters will want their own season. Clubfooted Scandanavians like myself will probably be asking for a season where you have to hunt from a boat while chanting Viking prayers while rowing in unison. What next?

We have a crossbow season in MT - it is during the general season. We have a muzzleloader season - it is during the general season. We have a rifle season - it is during the general season. So everyone has their own season.

If other states want to have crossbow seasons, knock yourself out. Your state, your game, you manage it how works best for you. If I don't like it, I won't travel there to hunt.

I personally don't want a crossbow season in archery season. Not for ethics, or some of the other reasons cited here. We already have enough regulations and issues complicating archery seasons. I don't care to have it polluting the current archery regs and season. Just my opinion. I may be in the minority, and if MT hunters allowed crossbows in archery season, I would live with in and move on.

I could really care less what weapon or techno/primitive level someone wants to use. I do hate it when people show up, and decide they want to change everything for themselves, and to hell with what has been going on for the last fifty years.

I agree with whoever posted that this will do nothing to increase hunter numbers. There is no shortage of weapon/seasons available at this time. If they can't find some way to hunt in the current regulations, they probably aren't the kind of hunter we want out in the woods.

Man, we need hunting season to get here soon.

I am growing tired of all the weapons choice requests. Eveyone wants their own season. Pretty soon, the slingshotters will want their own season. Clubfooted Scandanavians like myself will probably be asking for a season where you have to hunt from a boat while chanting Viking prayers while rowing in unison. What next?

Big Fin agree with you 100% On other sites I've actually seen people talking about slingshot hunting. Airgun(177 cal) hunting and Bigbore airgun hunting. None of which will increase the number of hunters. the best way to do that is for fathers to toss the nintendos and wifii out the widow and take their kids hunting.

Some folks use ultra accurate, custom rifles, with attached bipods, light gathering scopes and more and for large part that seems ok to most rifle hunters. Same goes for the Black Powder (BP) crowd with the new BP offerings a far cry from the old muzzleloaders. Rifles, BP and even pistol hunting has changed considerably. So has bow hunting and with that so has crossbows.:) Hunt participation is down, license sales are down and most big game herds have increased considerably. Sure seems like a great idea to get more folks involved while aiding those who have a hard time drawing and holding a regular bow. I shoot both and am as accurate with my compound as with my cross bow. On the other hand the cross bow is the cat's meow in a blind while the compound is better for most other applications. My short recurve is my favorite when hunting in thicker cover and at times in a blind. Lastly I love my long recurve and long bow for the challenge and tradition as I grew up reading and following the exploits of Howard Hill and Fred Bear. I say go for it Texas as the crossbow isn't a threat to hunting, or seasons as it's too cumbersome for most styles of hunting except stands/blinds.

I favor allowing most any weapon that's accepted as being a good weapon as far as killing power, accuracy, etc goes. Pistols, Rifles, Archery (bows and crossbows), spears, knives are all used here and there and all do the job in the hands of a practiced shooter, thrower or stabber.

As for season, I love adding seasons to my list of hunt possibilities as it extends my time out in the woods. I also love seeing time added to possible hunts for all as anything we can do to attract and hold folks to hunting must certainly be to our benefit in this day of the anti-hunter, the Game Boy, the Wii, unlimited TV channels and computer recreation. :eek:
The enemies of hunting are many and growing while opportunities are shrinking due to all of the above plus the no-baiting crowd, no hounds crowd, the no trapping crowd and the current rage of high license costs, costly leases, outfitters, blocked access and more. :( Population can aid hunting but only if you are successful in drawing folks into the hunt at a rate equal to the population growth statistically. if you do not, then eventually you'll see far too many who do not give a hoot or are out right against any forms of hunting, period!

Add to the above the demographic changes from loss of rural and more apt to hunt, to growing city populations complete with a growing no hunting or anti-hunting crowd and we need all the help we can get and that includes cross bow hunters.
:cool:
Good Hunting
Chuck S

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnbighunter
Back