Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado elk here we come!!!

The next few days were relatively slow. We called in 3 other bulls to 12 yards (a nice heavy 5 point and a couple of raggy 4's) and numerous cows and calves. The rut seemed very slow in our area and we saw a bunch of cows without bulls. The heat did not help us much and even though we were at 12000-13000 feet it never froze any of the nights we were there. I would say the temps were around 65-70 in the day and 32-35 at night. Not your typical high country weather.

We did see a lot of cool country and some very very nice muleys. I would say we saw 20+ 4 points with the best being a very symmetrical 7x7 with two matching kickers off of his G2's. Sorry no footage or pics of him but I do have some of a nice 4 point that I will post the first chance I get.

Some random pics.
P1140998.jpg

P1160023.jpg

P1160029.jpg

P1160044.jpg

P1160088.jpg

If I ever go back to this area I will be bringing a fishing pole. This dude was begging me to throw a panther martin in front of him. I would also sit above the beaver ponds and glass up the fish as they swam around. Cool stuff..
P1160084.jpg

Posers!!!!!!!!!
P1160069.jpg

P1160066.jpg

P1160051.jpg

P1160046.jpg

We were unable to get any cell service in our area so we made the 1 hour drive to a town where we knew we could talk with the family and let them know we were safe. Everything was fine on my home front but unfortunately Terry got the call from the boss that said where in the he#$ is my report. He had work obligations and I knew he needed to go. He gave me one more full day and headed back home. I'm pretty sure it was because I didn't put out but I'm sorry I'm not Moosie. :D

During that day though we made another camp up towards an awesome lake (shown in previous pictures). There we found 2 other shooter bulls. We thought we had them figured out but unfortunately the best plans don't always work out and we never got an opportunity at them. Here is a distant pic of one of the bulls.
P1160184.jpg

P1160182.jpg

Terry left that afternoon and like he mentioned earlier I had a date with an old growler bull that just wouldn't shut up across the valley. I headed out early that afternoon to make the walk into his home and see if I could call him in. I took my time still hunting the trees closing in on the area I thought he was spending his time. I was able to walk right up on 2 calves feeding at 30 yards and waited for 30 minutes as they feed around. No other elk were spotted and they finally winded me and ran off. I made it another mile and decided to do some some calling and to see if I could get the growler going. I had called for 20 minutes when I caught movement ahead.
P1160089.jpg

I knew instantly what it was so I reached for the camera. I let him walk to 20 feet before I finally stood up to take this shot. Cute little fella that crapped a load after I stood up. He hung around for a good 30 minutes before he thought he should find a different dinner.
P1160094.jpg

I made my way up to the top still without a sound from growler. It was pretty typical from the last few days. Most of the activity was early morning and just before dark. Here is the view back to the other side of the valley where oak and I stood and listened to growler that morning.
P1160105.jpg

With about 1 hour of light left I got old growler to finally respond. He was a lot higher on the mountain then he was the last time we had heard him. I made it his way and was able to close the distance to 100 yards. Within 5 minutes he was coming up a ridge at 40 yards. As he was coming through the jungle I could see he was a mature bull. I couldn't see everything he had but knew we would be good enough if I could get a shot through the tangle. I cow called and stopped him in a small window. I took the shot and watched as my arrow flew half way through the opening and clip a limb. Old growler lived another day and grew that much wiser. :rolleyes:

Awesome Pictures, Looks to be a great hunt. No better sound than the bugle of a nice bull....Good Luck

The walk out sucked but I knew other opportunities would come if I kept at it. I hadn't been back into the valley (Where I saw the big bull and let the other 6 point walk) for 3 days so that was my plan for the morning. Morning came quick and I made to my predetermined spot with about 20 minutes to spare. I decided I wanted to be about 200 yards below where we called in the 6 point. Two reasons. One was because we had the other heavy 6 point, short G5's, walk through that area last time and it would help keep my scent out the area until I absolutely needed to be there.

As it got light I noticed a small 5 point just below my position he splashed around in the mud and then made his way towards me. I wasn't interested and let him walk on by. During this time I was glassing a really nice 6 point up on top of the rocks and no elk up the valley. I kept dibs on the upper bull and watched as his cows made their way towards me. They hit the bottom in short time and I was able to get some good video of the bull bugling, tearing up the willows and chasing off a spike bull. I was positioned just above them 200 yards out. I needed to be mobile because I wasn't sure if they were going to go to the lower path (beaver pond side) or the upper path (previous 6 point side). In short time they made the move to the upper path. I had plenty of time to get there, 100 yards out, until of course I saw a cow and a calf bedded in the exact spot they were headed. I couldn't believe the crappy luck. The cow was looking in my direction and I knew I was busted. I didn't want her running back down towards the elk so I slowly backed out and debated my next move. I had lost sight of the bull so I made a few cow calls to get him bugling. He instantly called back and I knew he was still a ways away. I sat there glassing for them when I caught movement to my left. Amazingly the cow that was bedded was now 10 yards away looking for the cow that had just called. Her and her calf walked right by and I made the dash to the upper path. I didn't care at that point if I was seen because I knew she would run the other way. She did exactly that I was closing in on my intended location.

I was now 50 yards from my spot when I looked up and saw the herd already there. I was bummed but could tell the bull was busy chasing his cows around. I closed the distance as quick as I could and got ready for the shot just as the bull ran into the trees. I cow called a few times and he came running back out. I had already ranged the spot at 58 yards and drew my bow. The bull turned to look for his other cows when I stopped him quartering away. I took the shot and saw the reaction of the hit. The bull ran down the valley and I watched him as he stood by a lone tree. I could tell instantly that the shot wasn't what I wanted. :confused: It looked as if I was 5-6 inches behind the last rib, I was aiming at the last rib aiming at the off shoulder.

P1160115-2-1.jpg

The x to the left is where I shot him. The red line is where he traveled and the next x is where he stopped before he continued out of sight. I hurried to the small ridge in front of me so I could hopefully see him bed. By the time I got there he was out of sight in the sea of willows. :eek:

To say I was pissed was an understatement. All I could think was I had canted my bow a little because of the angle of the hill which caused my arrow to drift. I do have a bubble level but in my haste I'm thinking I forgot to glance at it. Regardless what happened I could tell I was in for a long day. I gathered my stuff, marked the area and took off to the other side of the valley. To add insult to injury I took one big suck from my camelback and found I had drank all my water. Like a dip-chit I didn't add anymore water to my bladder since I really didn't think I drank much from the 7 mile 1500' accent the previous night. :rolleyes: Plus it was just going to be an in and out trip this morning. :W: Oh well water is over rated.

Anyway my plan was to sit on the opposite side and glass into the willows in hopes of spotting the bull bedded down. I had already determined that I didn't want to push the bull so I choose to wait 4 hours. In that time of glassing and waiting I thought of every bad scenario that could have happened. I pretty much convinced myself into waiting longer.

After 5 hours I was pretty much ready to blow. I made my way to the lone tree (last area I had seen him) and start looking for blood. This was my first sight when I got just past the area.
P1160125.jpg

It didn't take long to realize things were as bad as I thought. Hardly any blood and it was going to be a tough track job since he was going to be running through 6-7' willows. Finding blood on the ground was a major problem but luckily as the elk ran through the willows I was able to see the blood brushed against the willows. Tracking him was a slow process as I checked each and every narrow path. He was heading back up the hill towards a few lone pines. I lost the trail so I started looking under each pine tree hoping he expired there. With no luck I had to back track a little to find the last place of blood. He had made a major detour and banked hard through the middle of a jungle of willows.
P1160129.jpg

He was definitely showing signs of fatigue because his bank turned into a direct downhill turn. Another 80 yards and I caught a glimpse of him laying in the willows. Here is the path the bull took.
P1160171-1.jpg

P1160152-1.jpg

Sneaking up I could see he was done and my ordeal was complete. I tried to lift his head and he was stiff as a board. I could tell he had been dead a long time. After quartering and trimming the bull I found that my arrow had entered through the guts, then through the liver and then offside lung. The shot wasn't as bad as I thought, did I make a bad decision to wait so long? I was now a little worried about spoilage. I took a couple of the worst field photos I have ever taken and started breaking the bull down as fast as I could. I was very lucky that the bull died within 30 yards of the creek and in the shade.

Walking up to him I felt very fortunate to have taken him. He was one of the biggest bulls we saw in the part of the unit we chose to hunt. We looked at over 50 bulls with only 3 that would score above 300". This bull scored 310". Not the biggest bull I've shot but with everyone telling me it is hard to find bulls over 275" and that I shouldn't pass on one if I found one, I felt good about the trophy I had taken.

After breaking him down in record time I felt good about not loosing any meat but I also knew I was still in there solo with a huge bodied bull and a little over two miles away from the trail head. It was now getting late so I took my first load out. It was the toughest 2 miles I have walked in a long time. I was now going on 8 hours without water and having a nice fresh creek running the whole time beside you doesn't help the situation one bit. My mind was slowly playing tricks on me and I was so close to pulling my sock off and filtering water through it to drink. :eek: Seriously!!! :eek: Luckily I made it out just as it was getting dark. That night I drank (3) 20 oz bottles of water, 32 oz of powerade and a can of lipton lemon tea. I woke up in the morning and didn't even have to piss. I was that dehydrated.

I woke up in the morning and didn't even have to piss. I was that dehydrated. Sounds like my Honeymoon! IB, you really impress me by the extra yard you go for an animal. John

Here are the crappy pictures that I took.
P1160145.jpg

P1160146.jpg

Another crappy cell phone pic after I got back to camp and yes I didn't save the cape. I really didn't feel like lugging another 40 lbs off that hill.
IMAG0021.jpg

I slept great that night and was ready to tackle the heavy loads that day. I made it into the bull and was relieved to find all the meat there.
P1160168.jpg

Here is the pack loaded with one hind quarter and one front shoulder.
P1160169.jpg

Thanks for letting me use the pack Moosie but I wish you were there to carry it for me though.

Two more loads, hind/front then the head and straps/loin and I was finally heading back with the last load. To say I was bushed would be an understatement. Good news though is I still had two camps to break before I could hit the road to head for a nice shower at Terry's.

Here are a couple of pics of elk coming up the valley and crossing that area I mentioned earlier. This was on the pack out. Crazy thing is the peak of the rut should be going and there was 25 cows without a bull in site. (These were not the cows from my bull either)
P1160166.jpg

P1160180.jpg

The trip was a huge success and the scenery was about the best I have ever seen. Thanks Oak for taking your own personal time away from family and work to help out a friend. I learned a bunch from you in that time we got to hunt together. I promise you one day I will pay back the favor. Thanks again buddy. I also want to thank all the fellow hunttalkers that helped me out along the way.

Awesome Job man!! You sure are a stud with a bow. Your last couple of years have been outstanding. Also nice assist Oak. That sucks you had to miss the packout :)

Dude.... I knew the Ending already and I still was caught up in the middle hoping you'd find it. Love the Red lines showing the Tracking , etc. OK, After finding that NM deer after I shot it in the Ankle I figured with a Gut shot you probably would find the elk too...... :p

Thanks for letting me use the pack Moosie but I wish you were there to carry it for me though.

Wish I could have been too !!! Dang work anyway....(OK, I am glad to be working again). I'll be there next year for Oregon, Wyoming, New Mexico and the other 4-5 tags we draw !!!

He gave me one more full day and headed back home. I'm pretty sure it was because I didn't put out but I'm sorry I'm not Moosie. :D

Ahhhhhh so the Real reason u wanted me there comes out ;)

All Kidding Aside, That was AWESOME PLAY BY PLAY !!!! Oak, you da man for going up. Top knotch !!!

Congrats Bugler.......

What an awesome write up, thanks Bryce.
I think if I only had one elk hunt to put on my bucket list, that might have to be the one.

Congrats on an awesome bull, and an amazing hunt.

I don't know who's having a better season, IB or Big Fin? Nice work IB, hope to read about your next adventure soon! Love the awsome pics as well!:cool:

Awesome play by play. Those that get to hunt with you should be paying you a premium. Moosie better get a second and third job. You are a stud...congrats!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back