CO bull

Oak

Expert
So, I didn't get out for opening weekend due to loose ends I needed to tie up at work and home after my Kodiak trip. I drove up to my hunting area Sunday evening and just checked out several different areas to see where the hunters were at. It turns out they were everywere. I pulled my camera out of my pack in case a roadside photo opportunity presented itself (foreshadowing :rolleyes: ).

Monday morning I decided to try an area I had seen only 3 vehicles parked the evening before. I got there about 4:45 and headed up the mountain. This area is extremely steep and rugged. The hike to the top gains about 1000ft in about half a mile, with lots of rimrock and serviceberry to avoid. The full moon made the hike in a little easier.

When I got to the top of the mountain I began to sneak slowly along the edge of a little basin that is about 400 yards across. It is mainly sagebrush and serviceberry, with heavy serviceberry and oak ringing the top edge. I was expecting deer, because the warm weather was not conducive to elk hunting in this area. I was surprised to see a small and a little larger 5-point bull in my binoculars. They were feeding on the other side of the basin. I snuck up 100 yards or so and made on 320 yard shot on the larger bull. He ran a few yards and stopped to look around before the 180gr Partition behind the shoulder did it's work and he tipped over. His smaller buddy was very hesitant to leave him, and stayed until I got to within 150 yards.

As I approached him I immediately remembered that I hadn't put my camera back in my pack. It's the first time in a long time I haven't had a camera with me. Anyway, the pack out just about wore me down to a nub. I got the last load of meat to the truck at 4:45 and decided that, with the warm (near 60 degrees) weather I better get him home and cut up. I've still got a couple of deer tags in my pocket, but I don't know if I'll get back out or not.

Here's some classy pictures in front of the garage with my raggy CO bull. BTW, when I was cutting out the backstraps I found a broadhead lodged just above his spine. It had a pus pocket around it, but the skin was healed.

CObull1_original.jpg

COBull2_original.jpg

Nice bull Oak! Congrats on a quick hunt, even with all the other hunters around.
...you sure do hunt alot.

Nice work Oak, that's a beauty of a rack. Always hunting uphill, carrying downhill. You've got the gift, my friend.

In pennance for your photo oversight, next time I want to see you take the picture BEFORE you make the shot. ;)

Nice bull Oak, congrats. I forgot my camera on the day I killed my bull this year as well. Is it potentially good luck to forget the camera?

No, you just forgot!! And you have always got that thing! We had both cameras for our deer and we had good luck those days.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back