Caribou Gear

Beautiful man sits on an island

Typing as i watch this weeks dvr'd episode......

I have noticed while watching "Survivor" that the contestants almost never improve their shelters beyond the first initial rush to get something built. 3 out of the remaining 4 men have continued to work on improving their "homes" or cooking areas.

Lucas seems to be the most in touch with survival techniques. His canoe and yurt are impressive......and just to say he did it, he makes a stringed instrument to celebrate the start of his second month on the island. He seems to be so focused on his projects that he doesn't have to battle his brain/lonely feelings.

Alan generally has the strongest mind game up to this point. I loved his Edgar Allan Poe work. Strong

If I had to guess, Sam and Mitch are going to crack next. Home is calling to them.

34 days alone foraging and scrounging for your dinner is impressive.

Last edited:
I agree completely Kansas. I think that mitch and sam are on the way out. I think lucas has an advantagethat he isn't married with children. Alan sure does look strong though and I like his take it easy style. Lucas has big ambitions but I fear the extra work could come at a price.

Who knows I don't think I would count any of them out for good, sometimes dealing with raw emotions can give you a second wind.

Didn't see that happening.

After the first two weeks, it's all about the brain. Keeping that strong is really impressive.

This contest is very different from a true marooning in that there is that sat-phone whispering in your ear...."pull the trigger, home is just a phone call away".

Yep, had him as one of the last two standing. The wife and I were both shocked. BUT, thinking back, he did seem a bit out there playing that guitar thing he made...

Ended the way I hoped, although Alan sure didn't show much surprise or celebrate any. Thought it was pretty cool that they brought his wife out to see him. If Sam would have spent even a little bit of effort reinforcing his tent it may have ended differently. The flapping got to him!

I agree, I can't beleive that shelter was able to stay together during that wind. Alan seemed to do the best with food and controlling how much energy he used. Whay a great show.

Was I the only one wondering why the folks with axes AND saws didn't make some pretty hardy shelters? Alan improvised well, but given what all of the timer around there I would have tried to make something sturdy if for no other reason than the critters :)

If the food situation was as slim as was shown, I don't think anyone could have mustered the energy to do anything. Hopefully we will get a behind the scenes post by Dustin......please if you can.

If the food situation was as slim as was shown, I don't think anyone could have mustered the energy to do anything.

This is what I was thinking. I would have caught up on a lot of sleep if I were out there. I was also wondering why more people weren't using a bow to attempt to get some food. Maybe nobody had one, but it was an option since Sam had one. I only saw him go out once and miss a squirrel. Still...most of those guys did a lot better than I think I would have. The only way I would have won is if I threw my radio into the water within 2 hours of landing out there! I can usually stand backcountry living, but after a while, the psychological aspect gets to me.

This is what I was thinking. I would have caught up on a lot of sleep if I were out there. I was also wondering why more people weren't using a bow to attempt to get some food. Maybe nobody had one, but it was an option since Sam had one. I only saw him go out once and miss a squirrel. Still...most of those guys did a lot better than I think I would have. The only way I would have won is if I threw my radio into the water within 2 hours of landing out there! I can usually stand backcountry living, but after a while, the psychological aspect gets to me.
I wonder how limited they were by fish and game laws for hunting/shooting critters. I'd think black bear steaks would have tasted very good after a few days...

I wonder how limited they were by fish and game laws for hunting/shooting critters. I'd think black bear steaks would have tasted very good after a few days...
I was thinking the same thing. It went from bears in camp to no animals at all to be seen. It had to be a legal issue at least for big game.

Also I bet your right about the non disclosure.......Maybe a tell all book lol

Thanks guys.

I totally missed this thread the first time around. Hopefully you guys know my backcountry hunts(inspired by this site) got me on the show.

Quitting on $500,000 in front of 3 million people is quite the experience...

I personally thought you did great. That isolation stuff is no joke in my opinion. Survival would be hard enough if you had to, much less when you don't. Then throw in isolation and bad weather, I think you did great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back