Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

AZ Pronghorn - A lifetime dream

For a minute there I was thinking maybe they did the "camera guys say they are gonna get "whiskey drunk." If things get too tough, they will probably pawn some space heaters and a bicycle, then head to Flagstaff and see if they can find Grandma's Cadillac."

Hmmmm! :D

Sorry for the delays, guys. Just now back at camp.

The airplane buck eluded us, as have all the others. Very frustrating. I have tried most every trick I know of. Gotten close, but never within my range.

The cameras will film the blind sit tomorrow morning. Then Loren flies back to MT and Kevin will drive home to NM. Just me and the chickens.

I am dirty, filthy, stinky, and needing a good shower and a decent bed. When I drive Loren into Flag tomorrow, I am thinking I might take the afternoon off for some laundry, rounding up some hard tack and salt pork to eat the coming week, and then find a hot shower somewhere. Hope that would give me a boost to hit it hard through the remainder of the season.

Did see some other nice bucks while chasing the airplane buck tonight. I was warned that these would be the flightiest antelope I have ever hunted. I was expecting them to be spooky, but this is a new level. It is as if they have been rifle hunted year round.

Once the cameras leave, we will see if Fin knows anything about pronghorn hunting. I will have no filming or camera guys to blame it on. No lens glare, no extra noise, no required approaches from bad angles to satisfy filming quality, no ..........

Just me and the antelope. Will try to be more diligent in the updates during stalks. When you have two cameras rolling and two producers giving you instructions, it is hard to take much time to post to the site. Blind sitting is easy to post. Spot and stalk with cameras, not so.

Keep at it Fin! You'll have the whole rest of your life to shower and eat and sleep . . . .this is probably it for AZ antelope though. Hang in there and best of luck!

Goodluck Randy.

Not an expert, but I have had better luck not doing a traditional stalk most of the time. By this I mean, find the buck you want (hopefully he has does) & then hang tight with him. Don't push him or the herd. If you think you can only get 200 yards, then accept it. You are going to BAKE in the sun, but stay close. If they feed off, let them. Then get as close as you can again & again. Do it again the next day & the next, eventually he or his big enemies will slip up & close the distance for you.

That's my two cents & just another option to try.

Sorry for the delays, guys. Just now back at camp.

I was warned that these would be the flightiest antelope I have ever hunted. I was expecting them to be spooky, but this is a new level. It is as if they have been rifle hunted year round.

So that's why they call them speed goats. Good luck Fin.:rolleyes:

Since Oak and Miller are always posting such cool photos called "View from my office," I thought I would post one from my office window this morning. Taken about a half hour ago from the blind, as the sun fought to rise over a bank of monsoon clouds. Some amazing sunrises and sunsets in this country.

IMG_0821.JPG

Now, if the antelope would just show up. Left the trail cam here after leaving yesterday. Not a single picture. May need to leave these blinds up as a deterrent and know the blinds will force the animals to other water that I have yet to discover.

Blinds = BOOOOOOOORING

Losing my mind, sitting here looking at water and at the horizon, trying to convert every shrub and brush into a thirsty antelope. Maybe a DQ will get me off the schnide.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back