Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

AZ Archery Elk

Would have posted something last night or earlier this morning, but since the elk have said nothing I figured I would do the same.

We can't work much harder than we have. Can't force them to bugle if they don't want to.

Last day for us, then Buschy and Jim are going after them for the next week.

Will post again tonight, with pics.

We are heading back to camp. Not much to report. Thought with the low temps this morning (37F), they would be active for a long time. Not the case. They shut up very early.

Nothing but cows to report today. I shake my head when I see these cow groups with no bulls at this time of year. Probably a little early, but expected a few smaller bulls to be with them.

This afternoon is it, it we are to get it on film. Buschy is working as hard as one could reasonably ask, trying to get a kill on film. I would say no stone will go unturned by the time we leave.

If not for us having a Colorado Bighorn sheep hunt that starts this coming weekend, we would stay for the duration, as things should get really good next week. I am sure Buschy will kill a bull next week.

But as I told him, if he never releases an arrow, he will never kill anything. I think he has his nocks glued to the string. Not really, he has just exercised good shooting judgment by passing on marginal spots.

I think Buschy will attest, that if any of you want a pox placed on your hunt, ask Fin and the OYOA cameras to trail along. We have a way of making sure all hunts are difficult. Not sure if I will have enough money to bribe him into letting us do this again. He says otherwise, but I wouldn't blame him if he passed on the next invitation.

Tonight is the night. Going back where we bumped the big bull yesterday afternoon and going to see if we can get him to come our way.

I cant believe they werent talking in there you guys. That place is just sick tore up with big bull sign! Thanks for sharing your fire with me last night it was also cool to watch a little of the taping.
You guys are first class. Dont give up, keep at it! I feel Busch will have one down soon. Im pullin for you guys to hammer that 7x. Get er done..

Buschy...Keep at it and do what you do best...Hunt! In the end your due diligence will pay big dividends! I have faith and after talking to you today it sounds like it is just a matter of time!

We just heard a bugle where we encountered the big guy yesterday. He are going to climb the ridge to gain a favorable wind.

Off we go. The entire episode is riding on this stalk.

Wish us luck. More later.

Bulls in Montana have been more then difficult. Buddy of mine just shot a 322 on private but our public land is tough. Good luck! We will be off to the Elk woods again tomorrow.

We are about 200 yards above where we last heard him bugle. Complete silence for the last 150 minutes. Waiting, waiting, ..........

Buschy is 80 yards below us and a bull is less than 100 yards upwind of his set up, hung up in some oaks and other brush. I have heard him bugle 6 times in the last 15 minutes.

The steep terrain doesn't allow for any further progress with this wind direction.

Just heard another bugle.

damn tease. you're gonna have to start serving drinks with your damn hunting threads/trips/shows.:D

hang in there Buschy. won't be long now.

Just now to a connection. Sorry for the delay.

Mr. Big and his few cows made their appearance, just before dark. We had made a set up, as I was typing earlier.

The close bugles stopped and a bugle was going further down the hill. Figured we lost this bull, and with only a half hour of filming light, we had better get moving toward them.

We pull the decoy and Buschy waves me and Jim over toward him. We visit, and he decides we should try get in front of that bugle moving down the hill. Buschy moves to an opening in the oaks and instantly squats down and gives us the "get down" had signals.

He points down the ridge and states a big one is just below us. He had left his cows and was coming in silently to check out the soft mews being made above him. I can't seem him, for the crest of the ridge, but Buschy is looking real big-eyed as he turns back and says he must move around to try get in front.

I ease up to him and see the big dude moving back down to his cows and pushing them through the scattered trees. Buschy says he and the camera guys will head east and try get in front of them. Jim and I offer to stay and cow call, hoping the bull will occasionally respond and give Buschy a lead on the bull and allow him to set up in front.

I watch as Buschy and the camera guys move around the sparse cover. They stop as the bull and his cows move across an opening into the next patch of timber. One cow lingers behind in some brush and has her eyes on Buschy and the camera guys. No way Buschy can see this cow from his angle, but she is broad side in front of me, about 150 yards.

Expecting she will bust them, I let out the most distracting series of calls I can think of, wanting to garner her attention and allow Buschy and the camera guys to clear the opening without alerting the cow. I even standup and grab the decoy in an up and down manner, hoping she will watch me. No luck, as she is locked on them. As they get to the middle of the opening, this lone cow heads straight towards the herd and the big bull.

The bull has straggled back to investigate my strange cow calling sequence and has sounded off a couple times. He is the big guy from the day before. Very, very big.

This bull sees the cow coming towards him at a fast clip. She runs by and grabs the rest of the cows. They head off toward the end of the bench. The bull lingers for a minute or so, then turns. Buschy and the camera guys are at full throttle, trying to get to the spot where the cows have dropped off the bench, about three hundred yards in front.

If they get there in time, they will cut off the bull and he will have a shot. Fearing his cows are getting away, the bull picks up the pace and makes the dark timber off the edge of the bench, before our crew can get there. Damn fun to watch from above, but equally frustrating, knowing this is the last evening.,

And, knowing that while running at full tilt, the camera guys cannot take time to set up and get footage, I know this is not going to make much in the way of video. But, it is a gamble we take, every time we set up for a scene, every time we push the limits of shooting light, and many other things that go into TV. Yet, it is worth the gamble, if we are able to get there and Buschy gets the shot.

So we leave Arizona with a great story to tell, some great footage of super bulls, and move on to Colorado and try to get a sheep kill on film. In the meantime, Buschy and Jim will stay, and with a little help from Prairie Ghost, I think this bull will get an all expense paid trip back to North Dakota with Buschy.

The bull is making too many appearances, and with another week to go, I know Buschy will have his chances. And, he will no longer be burdened and slowed down by Fin and the OYOA camera crew.

Thanks Jim and Buschy. We had a great time and hope the editors can do the story justice. I will be looking often for the pics of the big guy. Best of luck.

Had hoped the picture I promised would be a grip and grin of the big bull, but for the time being, an Arizona sunset will have to do.
IMG_4241.JPG

Thanks for taking us along guys it was a heck of a ride. Good luck to you Buschy on bagging that big guy like I said earlier my prediction is a 7x7, 350+ on day 7.

Fin good luck with Colorado bighorns.

I have only heard of 1 bull getting stuck in that unit thus far. Hopefully the drop in temps starting next week will help get the bulls a little more vocal and into full swing. Good luck to the boys in camp and to you on your sheep hunt. I certainly hope you have enough hunts to sustain those of us who have no tags this fall!!! :)

Met Buschand Jim Early this morning. Had to work this eve but thought I would help out in the AM hunt. We were on them this morning and had bull coming in and hanging up. I will Let Greg tell you about his extreme close encounter with a screamin 6 that Mr Big chased right to him. when I got to him he was about to scream! Anyways
It was a great morning alot of bulls bugling, Busch will get it done in this area I am predicting it right now. He is a true hunter and I know he will connect. The woods are quiet as they are extrememly wet. I cannot help him out anymore as I am off to NM for a hunt tomorrow But will be in contact with him by phone for updates although I wont have internet.
It was great to Meet Randy and the film crew, they are top notch at their game. Although they didnt kill on film the footage of the AZ bulls should be awesome.
I expect Greg will post here soon enough about his bull. It is just a matter of time. I will say this about him although he could have taken a shot im sure he held becuase of his ethics, and that I can say is the sign of a good sportsman. I feel fortunate to have met these guys.
JD

Talked to Busch before he headed into the evening spot! Talk about a person that was fired up! It sounds as if it is just a matter of time...Mr. Stealthy will get it done I am sure of that!

Back