Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

AZ Archery Elk

Soooooo close. Big dude with a dozen cows came to 60 yards, but he wouldn't come that final few yards to clear the timber. When moved off Jim and I paralelled above and kept him talking. Buschy swung way out in front and set up to intercept. The wind forced to set up in a marginal position, but he really had no choice. The cows came by single file at 60 yards, with the bull circling 30 yards further away. He walked into the opening, but just too far for a shot. The footage will be spectacular.

Right now, we are set up and messing with some bulls just over a boundary fence. I can here one down below on our side of the fence, but he won't come in.

More to follow.

Sounds like ya'll are having a blast.....into animals every day. Thanks for the updates and pictures. I have a feeling you'll have one down pretty soon.

Good luck,

Randy, forward your phone pics to mine, and I'll post em. ATV org. and hnter org. are not the best of allies in AZ. As I am sure this holds true in every state. Good luck and keep humping!!!

Good luck in the AM and I will talk to you and Jim about 9:30...It looks like you have having a blast:hump: Tell Randy I would like a pair of those binoculars for the NM hunt but would settle for a hat! Good luck guys! By the way...I'm going back to work tomorrow while you guys go hunting! I am sure you all feel sorry!

Today was a great morning, followed by a bust for the afternoon/evening. You already heard the morning story. The evening story is a very long hike, way up into the aspens. A pretty steep grade to gain that elevation.

When we got there, we did not hear a bugle. We were looking at a seep where Buschy had set up a trail camera. One cow elk, one mule deer, and a flock of turkeys. No bulls. Dang.

Once we had invested our time in that spot and found no elk to cooperate, we did what we could to make some good TV. So, most of today's pics are the "making TV" stuff.

Tomorrow will be a great day. We have had our closest encounters in the mornings, and if they are as active as they were this morning, I am hoping we can put the pieces together. We need a small break, and one of these close chances will become reality.

Tired and sore, so signing off early today.

Focus, focus, focus.
IMG_4175.JPG

Some of the best in the business, doing what is needed to get the story on tape.
IMG_4197.JPG

Takes some pretty serious elevation to find huge aspen parks in AZ. But, very cool. Too much water to make water an effective tactic up this high.
IMG_4202.JPG

A long haul out, after seeing nothing.
IMG_4208.JPG

Buschy says when we get to a wi fi connection, he will post this morning's recap.

Good morning,

It seems things are starting to turn around here! We have been into great bulls nearly every morning and evening with some seriously close calls. These bulls are far bigger than I thought I would get a chance at! Last night we had a bull screaming about 200 yards in front of the tents with two other bulls sounding off as well just over the hill. It seems the action is picking up.

This morning was wild with multiple bulls bugling one three sides of us. The reservation is a serious sanctuary, and pain in the rear, but there are many HUGE bulls there and we are seeing them every morning on our side of the fence. I got within 100 yards of a great bull on the edge of the timber this morning while Randy and Jim were about 100 yards in calling and playing hide and seek with two other silent bulls! After the morning hunt, we did some further scouting and think we found a funnel through the timber where we have watched big bulls enter the reservation every morning. Today we watched two great bulls push their cows through the back end of this funnel and both bulls were certainly shooters!

We are going to hunt behind camp this evening where we know there a lot of elk or possibly gamble on hunting the PJ's where Jim and I watched a huge 6x6 bull (350ish) last Wednesday. I am looking forward to this evening and more forward to tomorrow morning. I think we are dialed in and with a decent wind we should have them in our lap as they head for safety behind the fence.

I should mention the cameramen, Loren and Randy, are super guys and fun to have in camp! It is crazy how hard these guys work and they manage to do it all with a smile!

Jim and I are in Springerville doing some laundry and then are heading back to camp to catch a nap before this evening's hunt. I am really hoping we can put it all together soon. 3 days down and 11 more to go. I will update again when I can. Take care.

I forgot to mention. You AZ guys never filled me in on how wet it is here. Rain, rain and more rain!

Arizona needs that rain --- it's just not getting here to the desert! Hit and miss in the mountains in September. It's not a bad thing for hunting up there --- gets the bulls going and quiets the forest floor. Now if you're hunting water sources, grrr ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back