AZ Archery Elk

That is not very many hunters for that unit. Randy, if you need to look around we turkey hunt up at Rogers reservoir right above Nutrioso. There is a nice draw across the road to the east of the reservoir that has a spring at the top end and hills all around for cover. To the west of the reservoir it climbs up the mouintain and also a water source at the top. There are a ton of road hunters for every season here but a short hike up a hill and you lose most of them. There are also a ton of elk so I am confident you will put one down soon. Good luck.

Called in two more hunters. Moved west about a half mile where we have heard a lonesome bull this morning and have set up on him. Calling softly and sporadic. Buschy just gives me the walking fingertips sign that he hears something walking in the timber to his left.

Gotta go.

Awesome...I'm at a parade but it feels like I'm right there with you!

I'm waiting for Buschy's victory dance!

Good luck buschy. I had a buddy down there last year in the same unit. He said that it was absolutly crazy. Some of the guys down there have about 20 people helping them out. Pushing elk on atv's. Ruining other hunters shots by yelling at the elk. I've seen some pics of one of the camp grounds. Reminds me of a out of control hoe down. Good luck agian.

I'm still waiting for that phone call. I can tell that you have not gotten one yet and the ground has not moved up here yet from your jumping up and down. Get the one of your dreams.

One bull is hung up down below a couple hundred yards. Can't get a look of him. Another smaller sounding bull is out even further. This fun.

More later.

I am having a blast just watching this thread...I can't imagine how much fun it must be for all of you! Pulling for you Buschy!

Stay with it and smoke a big one! Great updates. Make all those other hunters work to your advantage. Sounds like hunting Californias deer season:D

Randy and Buschy, It sounds like you may be over calling or over using the bugle. If you are calling that many guys in. I'm by no means an expert but in AZ, light calling and almost no bugling usually have the most success. There are always exceptions to the rule of course. Best of luck.....

Finn, A hunter will never answer a cow call I've found. You haven't mentioned whether they are answering cow calls or bugles or both. I always start with the soft cow sounds and then get a little louder depending on what is working. I called a hunter in today as well bugling. Hunters aren't going to come in on the cow calls and if they are working use them with a bugle sparingly. If they are answering to the bugles then leave one guy back a ways like 400 yards or more and let your hunter and camera guy move in alone. Hopefully Bushchy can run a cow call while you keep them talking from a distance. It's not the best scenario to have the shooter do much calling but it can work. I shot two bulls that way by leaving my dad way back bugling and me moving in solo while the bull was talking. Hopefully the other hunters will move more to your caller/bugler and leave the shooter and camera guy alone to seal the deal.

Wow it's a lot easier being an armchair quarterback than actually doing it.:D

Good Luck

I AM an Arizona expert, because I drove through the state once, so I’m going to grace you with MY advice, here goes;

SHOOT A BIG ONE!

(you can thank me later)

I had a hunter come in to cow calls last week actually. We then left the area we were calling from, to bust a bull and two cows that were coming in.

Randy:

I agree with Az402 about too much bugling (like Stan, I hunt Ariz. --- he's the pro though). Here's what we do --- use whatever you think helpful ...

From 4 to 5 a.m., we keep it to just simple, short "contact" bugles as we move around looking to locate bulls (ie. from a road). We like to be in place on foot by 5-5:15 a.m. so we can let things develop as it gets light. DON' T keep bugling as you pussyfoot/hustle towards the elk you've pinpointed; move towards them without doing ANY calling! Keep aware of the wind (natch) and really keep your eyes peeled so you don't bump elk you haven't seen! Get to within a COUPLE HUNDRED YARDS of your target bull(s) BEFORE you start your cow calling. In short, you don't want the elk to know you're there until you're in pretty close. We use some hyper calling. Don't advertise that you're a bull until AFTER you feel your cow calls aren't closing the deal.

BTW, I killed a 23 lb. turkey up there a year ago. By now you know it's great country with plenty of elk --- you can/will get it done! Be patient, don't focus on the rack when you're close, and shoot straight! Wish I were there with you guys ...

Wish I could tell you that I was calling them in with bugles, but I have only bugled a couple times in two days. Maybe I am cow calling too loud, or too much, but we have been set up near some very active bulls when these guys have come in. For what it is worth, we had two guys walk into our set up this morning, also. In all instances,we had walked in early and set up on vocal bulls, putting us between the elk and the roads. Maybe these guys hear all the commotion and follow in behind us. Not sure, but when we split up this evening, Buschy and Jim called in three hunters.

I am almost exclusively a cow call guy. In fact, most days, I keep my bugle in my pack, unless it just seems like the thing to do. Oh well, who knows what is causing it, but hopefully it will be the last time this hunt.

We split up this evening. Buschy, Jim, and the camera guys went west and I went NE. I called in one small 6X6 and his four cows. Do other hunters :D. Was the only bull I heard and he can within 15 yards.

Buschy reports that they got into a ton of cows and ended up calling in one small bull, and a bigger bull hung up, and wouldn't come in. They bumped a huge herd of cows coming out in the dark, but other than the really good footage of the small bull they called in, the evening was a bust.

Still thinking about that big bull this morning. We had a bull behind us, with a very favorable wind, and a bull on the ridge across a meadow, with a less favorable wind. We set up, hedging our bet on the bull behind us. Once we started calling, we could hear the bull on the ridge getting closer. All of a sudden, his cow and her calf walked out a 200 yards. They smelled the air and within about two minutes, were comfortable to start walking straight to us. Once they got with in about 150 yards, the bull trotted out of the timber and let the world know he was big. And, yes, he was big. I would conservatively guess 340, but my suspicion is he was even bigger.

Anyhow, the cow comes right to us. She is going a direction where the wind was going to be perfect. How lucky could we be. The bull was fast catching up to them. The cameras are rolling and Buschy is tucked out front in the trees. The cow keeps leading the bull our way. She is at 70 yards, and the bull is 100. He stops and bugles. The wind is exactly what we could have wished for. All that, and for some reason, the cow ,looks back at the bull and instantly runs toward the timber from which she came. Cows calls stop her and she looks around, but we all know that when an elk decides to head out, the odds of bringing them back are pretty slim.

It will be absolutely amazing footage. The bull is right in front of Buschy, screaming, and the steam is coming from his throat, and the sun us burning the fog from the meadow. Probably the most classic elk call in sequence I have ever seen.

I wish I could load pics from my phone. If so, I would upload pics, in addition to the text updates.

Buschy is determined, and Jim, his buddy, is a great caller. We will have good luck, give the number of elk, and how hard we are working.

You guys asked for some pics. Well, I am posting a few, but not sure if this is what Buschy wants the world to see.

ATVs everywhere. I am glad to share the public lands. But, not sure who is in charge of scheduling this thing, but have it opening week of hunting season, in a premier unit? Hmmmmm. :(
IMG_4188.JPG

Wanna have a little noise in your hunting area. A couple hundred of these might change the elk behavior.
IMG_4163.JPG

Jim and Buschy
IMG_4173.JPG

Rain can make for some cool photos, even if it is hard on cameras.
IMG_4171.JPG

I understand being thankful for a decoy that might have brought a big bull my way, but I think Buschy might have taken this too far. :rolleyes:
IMG_4177.JPG

I will try to get to a place where I can upload photos each day, but that is an endeavor, so if I miss a day or two, I apologize.

Tomorrow could be the day. They are bugling around camp.

Good luck guys. Sounds like you guys are doing everything right. Keep hitting those bulls and you will find the one that will come into your setup.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back