Anyone considering the F150 Electric?

Considering it, but still at early stages. Here is a link to find charging stations. There are actually a lot more than I thought, but they vary in connectors and charger types. That seems like something that needs to be resolved for wide adoption.
https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/elect...&start=Charlotte, NC&end=Boise, ID&distance=1
Here is a trip from Charlotte to Boise. The extra time waiting to charge would certainly be a concern for me, but not being able to find a station wouldn't. Seems like EV for work vehicles going around town is a no-brainer.

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 9.57.10 AM.png

Might be a dumb question or dumb person asking - but why can't they make a hybrid where the gas powered ICE charges the battery on the electric motor? Or is that already a thing?

Am I hashtagging?
The hybrids I’ve looked into do not function like that. I wondered the same thing, is it possible, and if so when will that start becoming more common? The tundra uses the hybrid portion to give it a more linear torque curve. Has nothing to do with efficiency is my understanding.

The hybrids I’ve looked into do not function like that. I wondered the same thing, is it possible, and if so when will that start becoming more common? The tundra uses the hybrid portion to give it a more linear torque curve. Has nothing to do with efficiency is my understanding.
I think Ford has a similar setup from what the salesman told me. Makes them really quick, eliminating the turbo lag.

I don't know why they can't charge themselves,while operating. Linked to drivetrain,simple generator/inverter.

Just an old dummy asking the same ? I did 25 yrs ago..... Oh I can't afford one or the range.

Production of renewable energy will ramp up, charging times will decrease, range will increase, and costs will likely come down. Until then, can someone tell me what type of tree has an unleaded pump in it? That would be handy.
It's right next to the tree that has lithium in it.

Might be a dumb question or dumb person asking - but why can't they make a hybrid where the gas powered ICE charges the battery on the electric motor? Or is that already a thing?

Am I hashtagging?
This is exactly how most hybrids have functioned, even since the very first Honda insight rolled out. The electric motor is there to assist in better fuel economy for the ICE. The motor/ generator basically takes the place of a torque converter. They are programed to charge/ regenerate any time the motor is not assisting. They also utilize the motor in lieu of brakes often (to regen).

I've been in the Automotive repair industry well over 20 years (hybrid certified for most of that)and have no doubt that EV is the future for commuting vehicles. Not hunting rigs just yet. It's not about the expense. It's about the environment. However, even 24 years after the first hybrids hit our roads, there is still very little real data on the environmental impacts of battery production and disposal.

Who really benefits from the push to EVs?
What happens to the batteries?
What are the effects of mining for the battery materials?
Auto emissions in the US are such a small percentage of the world's CO2 emissions when you look at China, Russia and India so what's the point if they're not curbing emissions?
Are TPTB just trying to limit our mobility or are we pushing toward a superior technology that just isn't here yet?
Taking into account the amount of fossil fuels and resources needed to produce an EV are we really saving anything by using one?

Just a few questions that came to mind. Personally I'm not buying an EV for hunting anytime soon but think they might be useful for cruising around town.
we certainly did not buy ours to save the world. I’m a big fan of mining and fracking. Hell, I’m on the fence about abolishing the EPA.

We bought one because my wife never has to stop at the gas station going to and from work. Just plug it in when she gets home and it’s “full” when it’s time to go again. She never has to get the oil changed. It is the safest car ever built.
There is a fuel cost saving especially with these high gas prices but a person could buy a cheaper gas car and it would take a long time for the EV to catch up savings wise.

The batteries can be recycled, but many probably are not. Lithium mining has a whole bunch of problems. It puts huge holes in the ground and poisons the water people in the Third World need for drinking. Not ideal. But, wait until you learn about textile and garment factories that make most of our clothes. Or where phones and computers come from or worse yet, go to when disposed of.

It is a little too tech heavy for me sometimes. Some of the things that I just want to be a button are on the touch screen.
Yes, but most gas vehicles never need a new engine, even shitty Fords. An EV is guaranteed to need new batteries.

I do think electric vehicles are the future, but they aren’t to the point that I would buy one yet. Mainly due to range not the cost of batteries.

According to Tesla, their batteries are designed for 300,000 to 500,000 miles.

I don’t know how many people have tried and failed or succeeded in driving that far since they’ve only really been around about 10 years.

I would say the most underrated characteristic of having one is the ability to blow the effing mirrors off of sports cars, that cost way more, while doing so in a vehicle that can carry 5 humans+2 dogs. The downside, is the amount of power combined with the weight can absolutely eat tires if you keep your foot in it.

Last edited:
Wonder how they will tax it to make up for the lost revenue from gas tax
There was a provision in one of Biden’s bills that would create/test a program to tax vehicles per mile driven. Not sure if that bill passed or not, but my bet is that’s how they want to tax us.

However, even 24 years after the first hybrids hit our roads, there is still very little real data on the environmental impacts of battery production and disposal.
Sounds like some sort of "lobbyist privilege" to me. It's dirty either way you look at it and there's no such thing as clean energy.

I don't have a problem with hybrids or EV's, but I do have a problem with the lack of proper disposal of the toxic lithium battery packs. Go to most dealerships and you will find a pile of lithium battery packs, just sitting there. Part of the problem is there is no way to properly dispose of them and if you do happen to find someplace to take them, it's expensive. It's bad enough to have to pay between $5,000-$8500 just for the battery if it needs replacement,(in case some of you are wondering, lithium battery packs for EV's or hybrids are not covered under warranty ), labor costs are extra. Then, you'll need to have a charging station installed at your home, which last I checked is just under $10,000 here in NJ. If you live in an apartment or townhome community, you're outta luck on having a charging station installed. And yes most definitely your utilities bill will definitely go up. Now, the public charging stations can re-charge the batteries, depending on what you read, and it'll take anywhere from 15-45 minutes of fast charge to bring you battery pack up to at least 80% charge, but every fast charge cycle you do, will slowly eat away at battery life. And yes, you'll be told that lithium battery packs today won't hold memory, but truth is, they do, and it'll bring you that much closer to replacing the battery pack. If someone could fix a few of these problems ahead of time, then great, I would consider another hybrid/EV. until then, no thank you. To invest in one is a gonna put most people in the red.

I may eventually buy an EV but I will have a straight fossil fuel burner available until I can drive 400 miles loaded on a charge and then fully recharge in a reasonable amount of time, i.e. 10 minutes or so. I think that capability will come in the next decade or so.

Honestly I will probably always have a fuel burner just in case. Ya know for power shortages and zombie apocalypse type scenarios…

Back