Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Anyone considering the F150 Electric?

I own a 2021 Tesla, and it is the coolest car I’ve ever driven. But, EV‘s have a long ways to go before they are the solution for hunting. Put 1200 pounds in the bed, put it in 4wd in the snow and 10° weather and that 300 mile range is probably 80 to 120 mile range. The tesla’s 330 mile range , on a 110° day going 80 mph, is actually about to 265.

I think there’s a decent chance we’ll go that route. It’ll be a while before we buy another vehicle, our Honda has 96k and the Tundra has 110k, so probably 8-10 years on each. A lot can happen in that time. The ability to swap batteries would be a big jump for folks using them for outdoor activities.

Can an EV be charged with a generator? Yes you can use a generator to charge your Ev. We tested using the Generac IQ 2000 on a Tesla Model S and found the generator charged our EV giving us six to eight miles per hour recharge. Not a great deal but good for an emergency if you got stuck.

I'll just add another it would be a terrible Idea to take an electric vehicle on a hunting trip.

The thing not very many people are talking about when it comes to electric vehicles is the power grid. Last February when that week long cold snap hit, there were rolling brownouts from Texas to the Dakotas. If the grid cannot handle a week of extra cold weather how is plugging in a bunch of electric vehicles to charge every night going to work?

I'll just add another it would be a terrible Idea to take an electric vehicle on a hunting trip.

The thing not very many people are talking about when it comes to electric vehicles is the power grid. Last February when that week long cold snap hit, there were rolling brownouts from Texas to the Dakotas. If the grid cannot handle a week of extra cold weather how is plugging in a bunch of electric vehicles to charge every night going to work?

It can help actually. Google “the duck curve” and do some reading on that.

TLDR Version: A big part of the problem in the US is the wild swings from demand exceeding supply during peak hours to plummeting to or below base load in off peak hours in the middle of the night.

Charging at night will bring night time demand up which is a good thing. Baseload sources like coal and nuclear and hydro don’t ramp up and down quickly so it’s very hard on the grid when demand dips below base load supply.

It can help actually. Google “the duck curve” and do some reading on that.

TLDR Version: A big part of the problem in the US is the wild swings from demand exceeding supply during peak hours to plummeting to or below base load in off peak hours in the middle of the night.

Charging at night will bring night time demand up which is a good thing. Baseload sources like coal and nuclear and hydro don’t ramp up and down quickly so it’s very hard on the grid when demand dips below base load supply.

In layman's terms:

Apples to Oranges here, Jeep vs Ford. TFL did a video a couple months ago on the new Gladiator Hybrid that you can plug in, run as a hybrid or totally gas or totally electric. I’m going from memory here, but in town and on the hwy I think they ended up getting somewhere in the mid to high 20 miles on just electric. When they took it up in the mountains and put it in 4 low, it was less than 5 miles. Granted, that vehicle has a significantly smaller battery since it’s a hybrid. But I could only guess the 300ish mile range on an electric truck would be complete garbage in the mountains, and that’s if you started in the mountains. Toss in a 60 mile drive just to hit gravel and I wouldn’t think you’d get very far. I haven’t looked in a bit, but I would think TFL will get or try to get their hands on one of the Fords and take it into the mountains for that specific purpose of testing the range and off road capability.

Last edited:
F150 electric, no.
Some other electric truck, probably, just not for a while.

One of my hunting partners is in line for a Tesla truck. I'll let you know how hunting in it goes. Hell I'll take a video when we pull out the first jacked up ______.

Range:
- I've seen tests of other EV where the range cut to about half when towing to full rating but don't know about the Ford.
- Cold weather and steep hills also lowered range notably, but of they do get a good bit of miles back on the way down other side...as long as you make it to the top

Charge Speed:
- Tesla looks like about 200 miles in 15 minutes which is not bad, but seems like the rest of mfr and charge networks notably slower. Ford mentioned 15%-100% in 41minutes which would make it pretty much a no go for anyone who'd need it for multiple charge distances, unless they really enjoy road trip food for long meal breaks every few hours.

Where I live, electricity is very cheap as it's a co-op and a lot generated from hydro. At $.06-.08 per kwh it would be a small fraction of "fuel" cost vs. diesel/gas, so it is tempting for daily life and local hunting.

I'd still have to keep my 3/4 ton longbed diesel for long tows and trips as I don't think I'll ever get rid of that.
What happens to that per KwH price when there's xxx EV's on the road?

What happens to that per KwH price when there's xxx EV's on the road?
That's above my pay grade. Solar at home may make more sense then, but right now where I live the payback is way too long plus the power's already hydro mostly.

In super high electric cost areas the payback is not so bad. I love the idea of being independent from the grid but imagine battery power tech may be a ways off before it's affordable and makes financial sense.

Can an EV be charged with a generator? Yes you can use a generator to charge your Ev. We tested using the Generac IQ 2000 on a Tesla Model S and found the generator charged our EV giving us six to eight miles per hour recharge. Not a great deal but good for an emergency if you got stuck.

New generator sales will be banned in CA pretty soon per the governor's mandate, I imagine other similar states will follow suit...

Back