Solo Backcountry Elk Hunt Debrief -- Southern CO

Bjcoyne

TLDR: E-scouting will never replace boots-on-the-ground intel, I had a blast and got into some bulls, next year I will avoid the muzzle-loader season, electronics will fail you--have a backup plan

This is probably more therapeutic for me to brain-dump my trip than it is actually beneficial for anyone reading it, so bare with me. I just spent the last week in southern Colorado looking for elk. This was my 4th year hunting elk (succesful in 2nd year with a spike bull), 1st year in Colorado, 1st year as a non-resident, and 1st year spike camping. Sadly, being in the military means you get stationed in incredible places like Montana, fall in love with elk hunting, and then have to leave to someplace like Louisiana--there are no elk in louisiana, trust me, I looked.

My E-scouting plan was pretty solid, IMO: Do what worked in Montana, but in Colorado--Hunt the newest burn on the mountain, camp in the bottoms of the dark timbers, slowly work the non-burned fingers of dark timber throughout the area. I had a plan A, B, C, and D going into the unit and was confident in each. I met some guys at the trailhead who had no luck over the course of 5 days, however, they weren't going back as far as I was. Their report also said they heard no bugles and saw no elk. With that I started hiking up the old logging roads, to the peak, and began my descent down the other side. This was my first time hunting without being acclimitized to any degree, so the headaches were pretty rough the first day, but they eventually subsided. The area I was at was drastically more steep than anything I had ever experienced before or had anticipated. My boots were new to steep terrain, and failed me miserably. My feet were not prepared for this level of abuse from steep hiking--not what I was accustomed to in the past having had lots of time and elevated terrain to break in a new pair. Had I done some boots-on-the-ground scouting beforehand, I would have had a much different approach to this area. Trailblazing in this dark timber was horrid. Yea, I didn't see any other people back there, but I didn't see any elk either... those may be related.

The burn area was hoping to hunt wasn't what I was expecting. Yes, the map said it was burned, but that's not entirely accurate. Technically, there were some charred trees, but it wasn't enough to really open up the canopy to allow for a lot of grass growth. This really flew in the face of my plan and I had to audible to more still-hunting the north facing slopes of dark timber, which I've never done before. I did get into some bulls though...

On the second day, I was awaken at 0130 by bulls bugling all around my little one man tent--it felt like they were right beside me, you could feel it in your whole body. This continued while I got myself ready and moving in their direction before shooting light. I got as near to them as I could, good wind/thermals, and started to bugle back. I had a good conversation with one bull in particular, but he didn't seem to be moving. At around 0800 I heard the loud crack of a muzzle loader rilfe on the ridge adjacent to where me and the bugling bull were. He shut up and I never got to put eyes on him. This became the standard for the remainder of the trip: bulls active at night, and non-existent during daylight hours. I had one calf walk right up to me around noon one day. This would prove to be the only elk I saw over the course of 6 days in CO.

Once I decided to start moving in the direction of the truck, my OnX app on my phone decided to delete some layers (trails mostly). This proved problematic considering how far back I was. Thankfully, I had invested in the Garmin InReach Mini (it's awesome, my wife appreciated having me texting her throughout the day) and it had a map system with marked trails.

So, lessons learned and takeaways:
- E-scouting is great--but it will never replace boots-on-the-ground intel. It would have been 100% worth the investment to get out there in July or August for a couple days before going all in during bow season
- Don't try out a new pair of boots on a back country hunt--this was just dumb and I feel foolish for even attempting it. I'd been wearing them 5 days a week for about 6 months but that's not enough to prep them for the backcountry
- I knew the muzzle loader season was happening when I was plannign my hunt, but I didn't anticipate the effect this would have--next time, go before it starts or hunt an area that doesn't have a muzzle loader tag
- Have a back up for your electronics (batteries too). My battery packs got cold and drained much faster than I had expected. My OnX maps were saved properly, and pre-flighted before the trip, but they still failed me when I was out--having a back up in the InReach was super valuable
- Gear-wise I was good--I replaced my Pintler with the MR Selway 60 and it worked out great, albeit a touch small for 5 days in the back country. Big Agnes tent/sleeping bag/pad was great too, though I think I might invest in the puffy liner for those nights it dipped below freezing.
- I packed way too much food. I calculated out approx 3000 cals/day but ended up not eating nearly everything in each days bag. I'm 6'2", 215lbs, so I thought I'd need a lot of fuel, but apparently not. Still, better to lug around more food than be hungry, I guess.
- The dead-heads and sheds I found would have been a nice consolation prize but not worth the weight to pack out and up to the truck... I placed them in the trees, like Big Fin told me to, but it didn't bring me any luck! haha

Thanks to everyone on here who assisted with my questions and advice seeking. I hope I can continue to contribute to the community, if nothing else, with what NOT to do on an elk hunt! Cheers!

Sadly, being in the military means you get stationed in incredible places like Montana, fall in love with elk hunting, and then have to leave to someplace like Louisiana--there are no elk in louisiana, trust me, I looked.
I can also confirm, no Elk anywhere except one studly 6x6 skull mount I saw hanging on a porch yesterday in Shreveport. It’s rather flat here too, only up side is you can breath easier. Where you stationed in LA?

I can also confirm, no Elk anywhere except one studly 6x6 skull mount I saw hanging on a porch yesterday in Shreveport. It’s rather flat here too, only up side is you can breath easier. Where you stationed in LA?
Haha I’ll keep an eye for that one. I’m at Barksdale.

Hearing lots of Colorado reports like this. Sounds like you gave it a great try.
Yea it was strange, even driving through town and around the different trail heads I never saw a camp or truck with a rack in the bed. Also, didn’t see a single deer. I was mostly confused after hunting Montana and North Dakota for the last 8 years. Where’d all the animals go? Haha

I was out at Barksdale last week helping a friend who just got stationed here with some preseason scouting. Great age structure on the deer herd out there, and some fantastic bucks are killed there every year. They’re not elk but I’m sure addicted to them. Louisiana isn’t called the sportsman’s paradise for nothing, there is a lot to do here if a person doesn’t mind sweating a lot! I was born and raised here in the Bossier area, if you ever need anything send me a message.

I was out at Barksdale last week helping a friend who just got stationed here with some preseason scouting. Great age structure on the deer herd out there, and some fantastic bucks are killed there every year. They’re not elk but I’m sure addicted to them. Louisiana isn’t called the sportsman’s paradise for nothing, there is a lot to do here if a person doesn’t mind sweating a lot! I was born and raised here in the Bossier area, if you ever need anything send me a message.
Thanks man. I’ve been so focused on elk this year that I haven’t really done much to scout on base. I’m going Monday to get tags and such. If you’re ever looking for a duck hunting partner, my gsp and I are always ready! Haha

Thanks for sharing. I was also in southwest CO and it was quiet for me too. I talked to the locals in town and everyone I came across still hadn't punched their tag. Tough year, not exactly sure why just yet

J

Thanks for sharing. I was also in southwest CO and it was quiet for me too. I talked to the locals in town and everyone I came across still hadn't punched their tag. Tough year, not exactly sure why just yet

J

Sounds about right... I ran into one group in the woods who said they helped pack out a bull of someone else in their group. Other than that, everyone else said they hadn’t had much luck.

Thanks for the report. Great reading.

I always take an old fashioned paper map (in something waterproof) with me in addition to GPS, phone etc. Like the idea of a fail safe backup.

What kind of boots were you running that wearing them nearly everyday for six months wasnt enough to break them in?? Thats crazy, I ran a pair of Salomons out West that i bought two weeks prior to the trip and didnt have any issues. A higher end mountain boot should not take that much time to properly break in.

The only bull I heard bugle in 5 days of hunting was also in the middle of the night. Maybe something with the moon phase??

What kind of boots were you running that wearing them nearly everyday for six months wasnt enough to break them in?? Thats crazy, I ran a pair of Salomons out West that i bought two weeks prior to the trip and didnt have any issues. A higher end mountain boot should not take that much time to properly break in.

I disagree. Some take longer than others to break in, but I don't stop paying attention to my boots until they have around 50 miles on them. I wear Salomons ever day, and have about 4 different models, their toughest is probably the quest 4D GTX, and it is a bad ass hiking boot. It is not any part of a serious mountain boot, at least not for putting together 10-12 mile days with heavy loads, and I say this from experience having tried them my first trip. I've run high end mountain boots every since.

A week in SW Colo. yielded 1observed bear at 35 yds. Hoof and paw prints of elk, muley, bear, bobcat and cougar. Found and hunted around fresh elk sign. Heard many large mammals moving thru nearby bush, some with obviously large antler mass by the limb noises but no bugling or cow calf calls. Met no one who tagged nor did we see a rack until we were eastbound on Rt. 80 in Nebraska. It was filling a F-150 truck bed. Congrats to the lucky Hunter/Huntress!
Your wilderness is amazing and addictive.

They’re Lowa Zephyr HI GTX. I think the problem is I didn’t get to do any real hiking in them, especially nothing with any grade. It’s 100% my fault for not taking the proper steps to ensure my footwear was good to go before heading to the mountains. My Danner Pronghorns were perfect right out of the box but they’re kind of heavy. I looked at both pairs at the trailhead and decided to use the Lowa’s. Bad call.

The only bull I heard bugle in 5 days of hunting was also in the middle of the night. Maybe something with the moon phase??
Man, I hope that was it. Otherwise I’m seriously concerned with my elk finding abilities. Damn you Cory Jacobsen and your article “Which week for elk hunting in 2019”!!! Haha

A week in SW Colo. yielded 1observed bear at 35 yds. Hoof and paw prints of elk, muley, bear, bobcat and cougar. Found and hunted around fresh elk sign. Heard many large mammals moving thru nearby bush, some with obviously large antler mass by the limb noises but no bugling or cow calf calls. Met no one who tagged nor did we see a rack until we were eastbound on Rt. 80 in Nebraska. It was filling a F-150 truck bed. Congrats to the lucky Hunter/Huntress!
Your wilderness is amazing and addictive.
Dang man, that’s rough! I guess I feel a little better seeing I’m not alone in my failed pursuit. Must have been the moon, right? Haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back