NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Anyone considering the F150 Electric?

Agreed. "Won't be new gas being built"... but yeah.

I think coal will be mostly if not completely gone in the US, but I see natural gas being used for waaaaay longer than a lot of people currently think.

Kinda to your point, I made a couple of my engineering friends do some math, battery question aside for now, using natural gas via electricity to homes to power cars, is more energy efficient than transporting gasoline to stations and using it in IC engines.

Just is what it is...
How long before you reveal the plans for your eternal engine, Willford?

Range:
- I've seen tests of other EV where the range cut to about half when towing to full rating but don't know about the Ford.
- Cold weather and steep hills also lowered range notably, but of they do get a good bit of miles back on the way down other side...as long as you make it to the top

Charge Speed:
- Tesla looks like about 200 miles in 15 minutes which is not bad, but seems like the rest of mfr and charge networks notably slower. Ford mentioned 15%-100% in 41minutes which would make it pretty much a no go for anyone who'd need it for multiple charge distances, unless they really enjoy road trip food for long meal breaks every few hours.

Where I live, electricity is very cheap as it's a co-op and a lot generated from hydro. At $.06-.08 per kwh it would be a small fraction of "fuel" cost vs. diesel/gas, so it is tempting for daily life and local hunting.

I'd still have to keep my 3/4 ton longbed diesel for long tows and trips as I don't think I'll ever get rid of that.

Based upon Ford's 15%-100% in 41 minutes, that would add approximately 2-1/2 to 3 hours to my trip to CO hunting trips from here in the midwest. That's assuming I could easily find a place to charge. On my trip to CO this fall, I only saw charge stations after I got into CO and then infrequently.

But for local use, it might not be too bad. But personally I prefer a hybrid design, similar to my wife's 2012 Camry ... 40+ mpg and range limited to what's in the tank, which is easily fillable. Maybe someday. Might have to up the electric set up at home. They mention an 80 amp charge station.

I just wanna be the first one

" is there a charging station in Jeffrey city"
" is there a charging station in pie town"

It’s $10k to put a new motor in an f-150. $7500 tor a remanufactured one. I know because I did it last year.

Teslas warranty on the battery is 8 yr/120k miles.

Ford is 5/60k on an engine in an F-150
I put a brand new motor in my 5.3 silverado for 5k. 0 miles...

That's just the battery cost for a tesla. An electric crate motor from tesla is 30k. No idea what installation costs if you're able to find someone to do it.

I honestly don't see gas operated motors going anywhere in the next 40 years.

Who really benefits from the push to EVs?
What happens to the batteries?
What are the effects of mining for the battery materials?
Auto emissions in the US are such a small percentage of the world's CO2 emissions when you look at China, Russia and India so what's the point if they're not curbing emissions?
Are TPTB just trying to limit our mobility or are we pushing toward a superior technology that just isn't here yet?
Taking into account the amount of fossil fuels and resources needed to produce an EV are we really saving anything by using one?

Just a few questions that came to mind. Personally I'm not buying an EV for hunting anytime soon but think they might be useful for cruising around town.

Personally I'm not buying an EV for hunting anytime soon but think they might be useful for cruising around town.
That seems to be a reasonable attitude, with a positive slant on the potential benefit, yet with a realism that those questions are important to consider as this EV evolution progresses. Recognizing this is a hunting forum, yet considering the relative number of vehicles exclusively used or even incidentally used for hunting, the number is relatively miniscule in considering potential numbers and usage of these vehicles across the globe.

I'm personally more interested in the electric crate motor Ford just dropped. I figured I'll give it another couple years and I'll have someone pull out the old 5.4l V8 out of my 2000 F250 and put one of those suckers in along with a fleet of batteries is the bed or something.

Considering I only put about 3,000 annual miles on the thing it would work great and totally catch people off guard lol.

It’s $10k to put a new motor in an f-150. $7500 tor a remanufactured one. I know because I did it last year.

Teslas warranty on the battery is 8 yr/120k miles.

Ford is 5/60k on an engine in an F-150
Yes, but most gas vehicles never need a new engine, even shitty Fords. An EV is guaranteed to need new batteries.

I do think electric vehicles are the future, but they aren’t to the point that I would buy one yet. Mainly due to range not the cost of batteries.

I would love to have one of the Ford lighting pros to replace my work truck, which I almost exclusively use around town, the perfect canidate for a ev replacement.
The amount of miles I burn driving back and forth from job site to job site is depressing.

The whole idea of electric is mis led. To charge the battery it gets plugged into a power source being generated most likely by a coal fired or natural gas power plant. Going hunting with one? Let's consider re charge while at hunting camp. I take along several 5 gallon cans to re fuel my truck so there is no need to spend a day going to town for fuel. You could plug your electric into a "gas" run generator. The size of a generator to provide 50 amps to get a full charge will be big, heavy, and loud. What have we gained? Point is there are no electrical plug ins on any tree I've ever seen in the forest.

Production of renewable energy will ramp up, charging times will decrease, range will increase, and costs will likely come down. Until then, can someone tell me what type of tree has an unleaded pump in it? That would be handy.
That's why they make the 5 gallon gas cans

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back