Anyone considering the F150 Electric?

Then, you'll need to have a charging station installed at your home, which last I checked is just under $10,000 here in NJ.
I had a feeling that my electrician neighbor gave me a little bit of a deal, but I had no idea was a $9550 discount.

I had him installed the fancy Tesla wall connector which is several hundred dollars. It looks nice, but really it’s unnecessary. Damn near the same results can be had with a NEMA 14 - 50 outlet which cost around $20. that connected to a 50 amp breaker and you’re set.

I don’t even think you need an electrician. It looks easy but I can barely figure how to install a ceiling fan and my wife’s house burned down when she was a child so she is paranoid about wiring thints and wanted to use a real electrician. Probably a good idea.

Last edited:
My electricity cost 8.5 cents per kwh. In places that let activists set energy policy like California it is a lot more.
It takes 75KWH to charge to completely full from empty, which is $6.38 to “fill“ the car.
In real world driving conditions, that returns about 285 - 290 miles of range.

It cost $66.50 to drive my F150 the same distance at 15mpg
It cost about $30 to drive an economical car such as a Honda Civic the same distance.
This is assuming $3.50 gas

If you really want to be ready for zombie apocalypses and the like, you best have a hay burner. I have two. ;)

No one is going to keep the gas pumps full.
True. But liquid fuel will be easier to obtain than a place to plug in lol.

Wonder how long it would take to charge that battery with a mid size solar panel…. I’d have to come up with an alternative means of charging besides a charging station.

My electricity cost 8.5 cents per kwh. In places that let activists set energy policy like California it is a lot more.
It takes 75KWH to charge to completely full from empty, which is $6.38 to “fill“ the car.
In real world driving conditions, that returns about 285 - 290 miles of range.

It cost $66.50 to drive my F150 the same distance at 15mpg
It cost about $30 to drive an economical car such as a Honda Civic the same distance.
This is assuming $3.50 gas

It’s cheap now for sure. Until they start taxing and demand goes through the roof

It’s cheap now for sure. Until they start taxing and demand goes through the roof
I’m much more concerned about the $300 it takes to air condition my home going to $1000 than I am the six dollars it takes to fill the car going to $18.

Both of which are possibilities. There’s a place not too far to the west of Arizona that has the blueprint.

I get the impression that some people simply think technology won't continue to advance and we're stuck with exactly what we have today forever... I assume those same people still have flip phones? I didn't know you could login to HT via DOS...

For those self reliance lovers, have you ever refined your own gasoline?

I get the impression that some people simply think technology won't continue to advance and we're stuck with exactly what we have today forever... I assume those same people still have flip phones? I didn't know you could login to HT via DOS...

Don't you suppose they had these same conversations back at the end of the 19th century about the horseless carriage?

It's only gonna get worse... ;)

The problem is, there’s a lot of people who use internal combustion engines who are gonna have to take a pay cut in order for our society to switch over to electric.
And from what I’ve gathered on here the electric might not be much cleaner... for now.

Enjoy your desk jobs ht!!!

The problem is, there’s a lot of people who use internal combustion engines who are gonna have to take a pay cut in order for our society to switch over to electric.
And from what I’ve gathered on here the electric might not be much cleaner... for now.

Horse Carriage Makers 374 & Kerosene Refiners 245 agrees with this post.

Horse Carriage Makers 374 & Kerosene Refiners 245 agrees with this post.
A horse vs a horseless carriage/ice engine is an apples to oranges comparison.
Biological life vs a machine.

An electric motor and an ice are virtually the same thing.
They turn the wheels.
What’s the current, real world advantage of an ev?

Like how does it make your life easier?
You don’t have to stop at the gas station?

Hot, nasty, badass speed.- #merica

For the record, if I wasnt dependent on old ice’s that you can take apart and put back together with a set of tools you can buy at any Walmart to make a living I’d be 100% on board with ev’s just so I could fit in with the cool crowd.

New technology will continue to come forever. But a staple like a combustion engine first one made 1876 (quick Google results) they aren't going anywhere in my lifetime. I don't see batteries being the answer to the problem. I also don't see batteries pushing a semi cross country or ships across the ocean.

So is the argument that no one is going to have jobs in the electric industry and electric engines will never break down? I don't see what anyone would need to take a payout, but admit some things may become obsolete while new skills will be required.

And as far as cleaner-or-not, if we sit around waiting for a solution to every problem that has zero downside we will never progress society forward.

How about cars with a little nuclear reactor inside? Look up Ford Nucleon.

Back