Anyone considering the F150 Electric?

Straight line acceleration in a grocery getter. mtmuley

I used to really like Corvettes and in a way I still do. The new mid engine ones look “dope” as the kids say.

But moving to Arizona just ruined that for me. Down here, it is the Boomer Snowbird car that is typically found in the left lane, driven by some senile, Joe Biden lookin mf doing 20 under, snarling at everybody as they whip around him on the right. 🤠

I used to really like Corvettes and in a way I still do. The new mid engine ones look “dope” as the kids say.

But moving to Arizona just ruined that for me. Down here, it is the Boomer Snowbird car that is typically found in the left lane, driven by some senile, Joe Biden lookin mf doing 20 under, snarling at everybody as they whip around him on the right. 🤠
I get it. EV's are not for me and my lifestyle. Hopefully rural Montana will keep it that way. And I would buy the new Vette in a heartbeat. mtmuley

As I sit by the campfire wishing for some peace and quiet, the nimrods fly by on the rural road with their big V8's backfiring cuz they can never get the damn things tuned properly ... and I wish that Thomas Edison or some other inventor had perfected the electric motor instead of perpetuating the incessant problems evolving from the combustion engine. (However, for full disclosure, I love my RAM 350 one ton Laramie with the Cummins engine.)

I gotta say a good hike distance for me in the summer is when I can not longer hear the screaming frigging Harleys! You'd think an electric "hog" would be an easy build.

A couple of things to address questions from previous posts...

I'm not going to try and guess future electricity or gasoline prices; but at current costs, Electric Vehicles are indisputably cheaper to operate.

The Lightning has an 8yr/100,000 mile warranty on electric components (motors/batteries, etc...).

The F-150 can be self-driving with Autopilot if you want to be hands-free across Nebraska.

The F-150 recharges fully in 14 hours at home (8 hours on a Ford charger). It charges to 80% in 91 minutes.

With that said...

If I ever get my new house started, I'll wire it for car chargers but I don't see myself buying an electric vehicle quite yet. The entire floor pan of the F-150 is a giant battery (see pic)

images.jpeg.jpg

I think the key to full utilization is smaller (think suitcase-size) batteries that can be swapped at a kiosk... not unlike propane exchange. Then we could keep spares with us as well for longer trips or heading into the mountains.

The F-150 Hybrid seems to be a better bet for how I'd use it. Plus, it has crazy power!

As I sit by the campfire wishing for some peace and quiet, the nimrods fly by on the rural road with their big V8's backfiring cuz they can never get the damn things tuned properly ... and I wish that Thomas Edison or some other inventor had perfected the electric motor instead of perpetuating the incessant problems evolving from the combustion engine. (However, for full disclosure, I love my RAM 350 one ton Laramie with the Cummins engine.)

I gotta say a good hike distance for me in the summer is when I can not longer hear the screaming frigging Harleys! You'd think an electric "hog" would be an easy build.

My boss has an electric “hog”… though I think the entire point a Harley is to be loud as F-

BTW HD makes one, the LiveWire.

I'll just add another it would be a terrible Idea to take an electric vehicle on a hunting trip.

The thing not very many people are talking about when it comes to electric vehicles is the power grid. Last February when that week long cold snap hit, there were rolling brownouts from Texas to the Dakotas. If the grid cannot handle a week of extra cold weather how is plugging in a bunch of electric vehicles to charge every night going to work?
I'm wondering the same thing about densely populated cities with older houses that don't have 200A services.

I'm wondering the same thing about densely populated cities with older houses that don't have 200A services.

As many have noted, we're at the beginning stages of a transition. What that transition looks like in terms of resources used to provide electricity is still up in the air, but the largest investment in the nation's grid was just passed, and there's a lot of good stuff in that bill as well relative to nat gas & nuclear.

New technology will continue to come forever. But a staple like a combustion engine first one made 1876 (quick Google results) they aren't going anywhere in my lifetime. I don't see batteries being the answer to the problem. I also don't see batteries pushing a semi cross country or ships across the ocean.
USS Enterprise 1799 - Wind
uss-enterprise-1799-48c32910-1d94-4bfc-90b8-94bdfabd567-resize-750.jpeg

USS Enterprise 1874 - Sail/Coal
Rm43F5ormtSTWCw3W02BCvwEhWclotlOtpFQrTAza-IKl_spZJLd_MkySZI4lJQyw1uD97TT5toYg4xScqRn7MCDzrVW15PQgrQ

USS Enterprise (CV-6) 1938 - Fuel Oil
1280px-USS_Enterprise_%28CV-6%29_in_Puget_Sound%2C_September_1945.jpg

USS Enterprise (CVN-65) 1961 - Nuclear
1637090360837.png

In 162 years we went from sails to nuclear, just saying.

Also... " ships across the ocean" the first full electric battery-powered submarine was built in 1890, google Spanish submarine Peral.

No idea where technology will be in 50 years, mostly likely lots of ICE cars on the road with most if not all production models being EV.

But there is also a non-zero chance we have warp drive... so you know... we will see

I'm sorta of the belief that all of us will drive electric one day.

Right now, I wish I could relegate my F150 to a hunting vehicle and purchase an ev for my commute

I expect in ten years or so electric vehicles will surpass ice vehicles but who knows

USS Enterprise 1799 - Wind
uss-enterprise-1799-48c32910-1d94-4bfc-90b8-94bdfabd567-resize-750.jpeg

USS Enterprise 1874 - Sail/Coal
Rm43F5ormtSTWCw3W02BCvwEhWclotlOtpFQrTAza-IKl_spZJLd_MkySZI4lJQyw1uD97TT5toYg4xScqRn7MCDzrVW15PQgrQ

USS Enterprise (CV-6) 1938 - Fuel Oil
1280px-USS_Enterprise_%28CV-6%29_in_Puget_Sound%2C_September_1945.jpg

USS Enterprise (CVN-65) 1961 - Nuclear
View attachment 201946

In 162 years we went from sails to nuclear, just saying.

Also... " ships across the ocean" the first full electric battery-powered submarine was built in 1890, google Spanish submarine Peral.

No idea where technology will be in 50 years, mostly likely lots of ICE cars on the road with most if not all production models being EV.

But there is also a non-zero chance we have warp drive... so you know... we will see
Sidebar!

I was on that last USS Enterprise via a tiger cruise with my sister who was serving, for 3 days, on the last voyage before being decommissioned. It was awesome. She got us on the flight deck (where she worked) when they sent all the planes ahead before docking. AWESOME!

Sidebar!

I was on that last USS Enterprise via a tiger cruise with my sister who was serving, for 3 days, on the last voyage before being decommissioned. It was awesome. She got us on the flight deck (where she worked) when they sent all the planes ahead before docking. AWESOME!

My uncle served on the oil burner during Vietnam.

Also the Enterprise was the ship that Mav & Goose got the mig encounter on. So it's like, way radder than any other ship in the fleet.

As many have noted, we're at the beginning stages of a transition. What that transition looks like in terms of resources used to provide electricity is still up in the air, but the largest investment in the nation's grid was just passed, and there's a lot of good stuff in that bill as well relative to nat gas & nuclear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back