Anyone considering the F150 Electric?

I used to think cordless tools were a joke. Now you can hardly find anyone in the trades who doesn't use battery powered tools. I'll consider an EV once they get the bugs worked out.
Cordless tools in the trade are used a lot, myself included. The reason,? I carry 2 or 3 chargers and have a minimum of 6 to 8 batteries(all my tools are the same battery) to keep work going. I dont see ANY possibility of caring a 400 pound back up battery for your EV. Just saying.

Cordless tools in the trade are used a lot, myself included. The reason,? I carry 2 or 3 chargers and have a minimum of 6 to 8 batteries(all my tools are the same battery) to keep work going. I dont see ANY possibility of caring a 400 pound back up battery for your EV. Just saying.
When I worked at a car dealership years ago the battery jump box was so big it was on a dolly... now it's the size of a cell phone.

We'll see where battery technology goes, but I wouldn't bet a penny that we've peaked.

All ATVs/UTVs/SXSs/snowmobiles on public land (if they have to be allowed) should be electric. Possibly an exception for AK. The noise restrictions in place obviously don't work.

Harley riders will find a way to make noise regardless of energy source.

raw.png

Like with cobalt, the supply chain of lithium iron phosphate, or LFP, batteries is dominated by Chinese companies like BYD and Contemporary Amperex Technology Limited, or CATL. In an effort to reduce U.S. dependence on foreign countries, the U.S. Department of Energy released a national blueprint in June to help guide investment to develop domestic lithium battery manufacturing and support further R&D. Among its goals, the blueprint calls for eliminating cobalt from lithium batteries by 2030. Two U.S.-based start-ups, Sparkz and Texpower, say that they can help, though the companies have yet to prove out their technologies in electric vehicles.

What happens after 2 to 3 years when the batteries no longer hold a charge enough to drive the estimated 300 miles? A caller to the local radio show stated that his research showed that it costs about 20,000 to 30,000 dollars to replace those batteries when they no longer hold a charge. I couldn't find that info, but if true, what do you do with the vehicle at that point?? It is virtually worthless unless someone wants to buy it to replace the batteries. At least a gasser can be sold or traded in.
If you are traveling with a gasser and run out of gas, someone can bring you a can of gas to get to the next station. What happens if you run out of juice in the batteries and the car quits, call a buddy with a generator??
No electric vehicles in my future plans.

Last edited:
I will not be buying EV until the tech and real emissions advances at least another 40%. That means batteries need to be recycled, charging power needs to be Nuke or solar or some other real clean energy, and battery tech in general needs to improve for faster charge and longer range in cold weather.

What happens after 2 to 3 years when the batteries no longer hold a charge enough to drive the estimated 300 miles?
Since this is an F-150 thread... the answer is you'd get new batteries under the 8 year battery warranty.

I think it's fair to say the radio caller has done no actual research and we can all ignore his opinion on the matter 😉

Beyond the interest in corporate America in an EV fleet of OTR trucks, the discussion in this video around emerging battery technology seems to fit in with this conversation.

I've heard a decent amount of watercooler talk about EV trucks in the oil patch.

A lot of oil isn't on pipe especially in the some of the really rural basins. You could put a natural gas generator on the pad site, and then essentially power your trucks for free. No need to worry about gas take away and no fines for flaring.

I've heard a decent amount of watercooler talk about EV trucks in the oil patch.

A lot of oil isn't on pipe especially in the some of the really rural basins. You could put a natural gas generator on the pad site, and then essentially power your trucks for free. No need to worry about gas take away and no fines for flaring.

That's all well & good, but does this help the poor CEO who only has 3 vacation houses?

Gives you some great ESG moves to tout, probably a nice bump in your stock price ;)

99b6069d-e8e1-4195-bbd1-2f95866f7266_text.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back