Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Anybody wanna ski/camp “skamp” copper or SBoat next month?

First: We will be skiing Steamboat this weekend (Fri/Sat) - offer to buy HT beers @ the T-Bar on either afternoon stands if anyone will be around.

Second: WTF, Deer Valley - I thought Alta (where I learned to ski many years ago) was the only 'no snowboarders' holdout. Had just booked spring break last night (The St Regis DV is one of the best uses of Marriott points for those that have a bunch) and didn't realise they were still holding out until this morning. My son the rider is very keen to learn the two-plank but I'm certainly not paying DV rates for that.
Best case scenario I won’t be out there till next Monday.

Have fun!

Holy! For a season pass?
View attachment 175858

It was under a grand for our entire family at our local hill.
Keeps the riffraff out. :LOL:

They give a discount to previous year pass holders, so mine this year was around $2300. Still expensive I know. It includes an Ikon Base Pass, so there’s $500-700 value in that (assuming you want to ski with the riffraff at other resorts). I generally do 10-15 days at other resorts using Ikon, so I get a lot of value out of that.

As for snow boarding, Park City Mountain is 5 mins away from DV with good bus service between the two. There’s also a new standalone terrain park 15 mins away just off the freeway. Lift tickets there are in the $50 range.

Last edited:
I’m a full season pass holder at DV and appreciate the “ski only” policy. Groups of snowboarders who like to sit on the ground blocking runs (usually just below a lip where you can’t see them until you’re right on them and have to make an evasive maneuver) is a huge pet peeve of mine. Precluding snowboards doesn’t help with the “bunch of old rich snobs” image that DV has, but I’m OK with that. ;) DV has the shortest lift lines of anywhere I’ve skied. On weekdays I can usually get in 18-20k vertical in about 2 hrs.
More of a 'I'm dumb for not remembering that rule before I sorted out a family trip' gripe than anything. I personally only strap on the snowboard maybe once a year so it wouldn't affect me but does obviate DV from vacations with the youngster until I can get him 'trained up' on skis. Thought about keeping the reservation, but I'm not dumping that many marriott points to stay on the mountain but then drive a couple hours a day to ski/ride :)
As for snow boarding, Park City Mountain is 5 mins away from DV with good bus service between the two.

PC is on the Epic pass, so no-go for us Ikon folk. We had already planned a day each @ Snowbird and Solitude during the stay, but we are switching gears now.

Hit me up the next time you’re in town and I’ll buy you a beer at Wasatch.
This I will do!

Skiing in the Cottonwoods (Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton) has been a nightmare lately. Traffic up the Canyons is just plain awful, and parking is usually full by 8:30. Not to mention all of the road closures due to avalanche control/danger. If you're staying up there, then you're good to go (although the lift lines have been pretty bad, especially on weekends), but commuting to there is a real PITA. Even weekdays are bad if they get any fresh snow, which I assume is a COVID/WFH impact where people have much more flexibility these days to blow off work and go ski any day of the week.

Second: WTF, Deer Valley - I thought Alta (where I learned to ski many years ago) was the only 'no snowboarders' holdout. Had just booked spring break last night (The St Regis DV is one of the best uses of Marriott points for those that have a bunch) and didn't realise they were still holding out until this morning. My son the rider is very keen to learn the two-plank but I'm certainly not paying DV rates for that.
Also Mad River in Vermont.

Skiing in the Cottonwoods (Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton) has been a nightmare lately. Traffic up the Canyons is just plain awful, and parking is usually full by 8:30. Not to mention all of the road closures due to avalanche control/danger. If you're staying up there, then you're good to go (although the lift lines have been pretty bad, especially on weekends), but commuting to there is a real PITA. Even weekdays are bad if they get any fresh snow, which I assume is a COVID/WFH impact where people have much more flexibility these days to blow off work and go ski any day of the week.
Yeah - we had heard rumors of that in both canyons. Had planned on wife (non-skier) dropping us off (I got a parking res @ Snowbird) and snowshoeing with the dog during the day. but with DV out of the picture, I think the boy and I are going to pivot and go to big sky for a few days. One of the only ‘major’ resorts in the Rockies I’ve never been to.

Yeah - we had heard rumors of that in both canyons. Had planned on wife (non-skier) dropping us off (I got a parking res @ Snowbird) and snowshoeing with the dog during the day. but with DV out of the picture, I think the boy and I are going to pivot and go to big sky for a few days. One of the only ‘major’ resorts in the Rockies I’ve never been to.
Big Sky is one of my favorites. Enjoy!

Douglas, if you wanna do a ski camp here in Boise, I'll go. By that I mean we ski one day, then go back to the house to drink whiskey, burn meat on the outside, then sit by the fire, and smoke cheap cigars. I'm sure my wife would love to meet one of my "little friends from the internet"

LOL at skiers still on the 1990 anti snowboarder routine.

Snowboarding pretty much saved the ski industry and the skis you are on today wouldn't be around if it were not for snowboarding.

Dinkshooter, circa 1987 on Atomic 190s hoping for 205s................

Found a better way with a Burton 160. :D

Snowboarding pretty much saved the ski industry and the skis you are on today wouldn't be around if it were not for snowboarding.

1615212836924.png

Back at my home mountain (Taos valley) we call it slackboarding.
they’re an inky crowd. 😉

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back