Anybody wanna ski/camp “skamp” copper or SBoat next month?

We had 4 more people die in an avalanche in the Wasatch backcountry last weekend. Brings the total for the year to 6 in 3 separate slides. Be careful out there folks!
15 nationwide

If CAIC has red or black on your slope aspect and you die, you do not get an “experienced” in your obit you get “a-hole”

I can’t believe people went out last week with those conditions.

“There’s nothing wrong with saying, ‘F-it,’ and going to the bar.” -Seth Morrison

15 nationwide

If CAIC has red or black on your slope aspect and you die, you do not get an “experienced” in your obit you get “a-hole”

“There’s nothing wrong with saying, ‘F-it,’ and going to the bar.” -Seth Morrison
Only if you mis-time the last lift....there are rules

Last week just really pissed me off... look if it takes a team of 30 people 2 days with a helicopter, and puts them at legitimate risk to find your dead body your negligence was at a whole different level.

View attachment 173381
I’d say at that point it’s fair to leave their negligent ass there until spring once the snow has melted off.

15 nationwide

WA is always red. Always. You learn to find safe terrain or you don't ski. Since kids, I hardly ski BC.

what’s that?
They skied from where that pin is, at least in that area down into the gully. As you see it feeds into there from where they were and both sides. Severe lapse of judgement. No escape route. Again, condolences to the families.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210217-200627_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20210217-200627_Maps.jpg
    657.9 KB · Views: 10
They skied from where that pin is, at least in that area down into the gully. As you see it feeds into there from where they were and both sides. Severe lapse of judgement. No escape route. Again, condolences to the families.
What format is that?
Can you drop the pin on onX?

The group also violated one of the most important rules, never expose more than one member of your group at a time, a mistake that has been made several times this year. If you are going to expose yourself at least only one member of your group should get caught at once.

My Father started the first region wide avalanche forecasting program in North America. It was the genesis for CAIC under
Knox Williams excellent guidance.

My Father started the first region wide avalanche forecasting program in North America. It was the genesis for CAIC under
Knox Williams excellent guidance.
Very cool, undoubtedly saved immeasurable lives. Respect.

I’m thinking about either a Steamboat or Big Sky trip around that timeframe. But I’ll be staying in a hotel. With a bar and a hot tub, thank you very much!
I’ll be back in steamboat around then, also will take a pass on the camping but happy to buy a round around the fire at T-Bar
First: We will be skiing Steamboat this weekend (Fri/Sat) - offer to buy HT beers @ the T-Bar on either afternoon stands if anyone will be around.

Second: WTF, Deer Valley - I thought Alta (where I learned to ski many years ago) was the only 'no snowboarders' holdout. Had just booked spring break last night (The St Regis DV is one of the best uses of Marriott points for those that have a bunch) and didn't realise they were still holding out until this morning. My son the rider is very keen to learn the two-plank but I'm certainly not paying DV rates for that.

First: We will be skiing Steamboat this weekend (Fri/Sat) - offer to buy HT beers @ the T-Bar on either afternoon stands if anyone will be around.

Second: WTF, Deer Valley - I thought Alta (where I learned to ski many years ago) was the only 'no snowboarders' holdout. Had just booked spring break last night (The St Regis DV is one of the best uses of Marriott points for those that have a bunch) and didn't realise they were still holding out until this morning. My son the rider is very keen to learn the two-plank but I'm certainly not paying DV rates for that.
I’m a full season pass holder at DV and appreciate the “ski only” policy. Groups of snowboarders who like to sit on the ground blocking runs (usually just below a lip where you can’t see them until you’re right on them and have to make an evasive maneuver) is a huge pet peeve of mine. Precluding snowboards doesn’t help with the “bunch of old rich snobs” image that DV has, but I’m OK with that. ;) DV has the shortest lift lines of anywhere I’ve skied. On weekdays I can usually get in 18-20k vertical in about 2 hrs.

Hit me up the next time you’re in town and I’ll buy you a beer at Wasatch.

Back