Caribou Gear

Denver area bike shops?

@DouglasR I don't think your current shifter would like a smaller gear than what you have. Just pick up a cheap old road bike. I swear I rode on a 80's road bike for a decade and just recently upgraded, and really can't tell much of a difference. MTB has progressed WAY more than recreational road bikes have.

Last edited:
Anything is possible. Depends on how much you want to spend. You could try a 10-50 cassette.

I'll sell ya my 2003 Specialized Epic FS for a couple hundred bucks, has thousands of miles on it, needs a chain and a serious tune-up!

Otherwise I've been to Pedal in Littleton and Elevation Cycles in Centennial. I'd say shop ahead online and see if they have a bike in your size, but with that top-end budget it might not be that big of a deal. I bought a bike last spring, and because of COVID and everyone being outdoors instead of at work it was darn near impossible to find a mid-priced Large frame anywhere in metro Denver. I didn't find any real deals on Craigslist either so I bought a new one. If you want to spend less than $800 or so I'd say forget the full suspension and get a hardtail...
How much travel did your epic have?
You rode this out west?

Blur or epic?
The existential question.

Drive up to Laramie and go to The Pedal House. Best bike shop in the 6 states I've lived in. They will get you on the right bike and won't oversell you. I ride rigid and have spent all my money on hunting shit for a few years so I'm out of the loop a bit. My next mountain bike will be a Salsa though.
Come home RW!

So I should also add that I'm very jealous. 4k budget on the mt bike would be awesome.
I was also quite shocked to re-realize just how freakin' expensive mt bikes are. I mean....WTF
I don’t have kids Neff.
Besides the loneliness and depression, it’s a great way of life!

For the most part that my experience during my brief stay in CO. Got tired of being ignored by the high dollar shops in Boulder staffed by anemic looking 30 year old Cat 3 road racers who still think they're going to make it. My Trek commuter bike wasn't worth their time. I did find Louisville Cyclery which treated me well. We do have Ft. Collins people drive up to Laramie for our bike shops and trails.
I’m sorry you had to live in the Front Range.

How old are the kids?
Whatcha looking at?
9 and 13.
Looking at anything old enough to be cheap like 300 cheap.
Unfortunately I messed up and got the 13 when she was first ready a decent commuter bike not a mountain bike, so I'm not going to hand it down to the 9 yr old. They both just need new ones 26, sm frames.

When you guys are airing up your shocks do you compensate for the little bit of air that’s lost when you remove the tool?
I’m pumping it up to 184psi, taking it off and putting it back in and it’s only showing 170 🤷‍♂️

When you guys are airing up your shocks do you compensate for the little bit of air that’s lost when you remove the tool?
I’m pumping it up to 184psi, taking it off and putting it back in and it’s only showing 170 🤷‍♂️
ah.... no. Can you tell the diff when you ride? I can't.

ah.... no. Can you tell the diff when you ride? I can't.
Idk, I just got my first shock pump. 🤷‍♂️
Just dropped racks on a new whip too.
Accuweathers calling for a 100% chance if a whiteboy summer around these parts.
I’m sorry, @wllm, but your boy DavidR went bankrupt at 28 so I’ve already beat him.
This thing’s fast af too.
Put up a bunch of pr’s on the strav last night.
Kept me from buying a Harley and I don’t have any kids, tattoos or a boat so it’s not really that irresponsible.
An investment in my cardiovascular health if you will.
8C3DFE55-09E5-4850-84C2-35CC93BC813A.jpeg

Idk, I just got my first shock pump. 🤷‍♂️
Just dropped racks on a new whip too.
Accuweathers calling for a 100% chance if a whiteboy summer around these parts.
I’m sorry, @wllm, but your boy DavidR went bankrupt at 28 so I’ve already beat him.
This thing’s fast af too.
Put up a bunch of pr’s on the strav last night.
Kept me from buying a Harley and I don’t have any kids, tattoos or a boat so it’s not really that irresponsible.
An investment in my cardiovascular health if you will.
View attachment 277305
Barry R is my guy Barry not Dave I only hassle people about buying teepees , hatchets, and bear pistols

When you add air, add about 20 psi then get on the bike and bounce up and down to cycle the suspension. Do this about 30-40 times.

Add more air, bounce, repeat until it settles in to your desired psi. You arent losing air when you disconnect the pump, it’s the shock reaching equilibrium inside.

I just got done setting mine to 275 psi and I had to repeat this about 10 times. Also, make sure you’re getting the pump fitting on tight. It can make a 5-10 psi difference in your reading.

When you add air, add about 20 psi then get on the bike and bounce up and down to cycle the suspension. Do this about 30-40 times.

Add more air, bounce, repeat until it settles in to your desired psi. You arent losing air when you disconnect the pump, it’s the shock reaching equilibrium inside.

I just got done setting mine to 275 psi and I had to repeat this about 10 times. Also, make sure you’re getting the pump fitting on tight. It can make a 5-10 psi difference in your reading.
Thanks!

You more of a bottle guy or hydro pack?
Personally, I think bottle cages look like chit, but I don’t think I can do more than 40mi on 2L of water which is all my hydro pack holds so I think I’m gonna have to put them back on the bike.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back