Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Denver area bike shops?

Pure Fishing said they would help fix my Pflueger spinning reel and then never responded.

If your bike shop doesn't put your bike on a stand in front of you and walk you through what's wrong while offering you a beer...find a new shop.

that doesn't even happen in colorado anymore. unless maybe you live in crested butte or durango.

just assholes, everywhere.

that doesn't even happen in colorado anymore. unless maybe you live in crested butte or durango.

just assholes, everywhere.

For the most part that my experience during my brief stay in CO. Got tired of being ignored by the high dollar shops in Boulder staffed by anemic looking 30 year old Cat 3 road racers who still think they're going to make it. My Trek commuter bike wasn't worth their time. I did find Louisville Cyclery which treated me well. We do have Ft. Collins people drive up to Laramie for our bike shops and trails.

@TOGIE @rwc101 @MtnElk @GrantK
You guys know anybody who’s got a specialized with the brain suspension?
Have they had any problems with it?

is it possible to make a one ring as fast as my 3 ring on the road?
Can I switch out the last cog on the cassette to get a little extra umph out of it?

Can I switch out the last cog on the cassette to get a little extra umph out of it?
Let me copy and paste this in a text to my buddy... if he has any idea what you are talking about, I'll get your info and put you two in touch. Because I have no idea 🤣

are brains still i thing? i remember seeing that for the first time in moab on my dads friends bike nearly 17 years ago. i don't ride mt bikes much anymore but why i do feel like the brains have come and gone?

i think the math would suggest you could make a one ring as fast a three with the right cogs.

are brains still i thing? i remember seeing that for the first time in moab on my dads friends bike nearly 17 years ago. i don't ride mt bikes much anymore but why i do feel like the brains have come and gone?

i think the math would suggest you could make a one ring as fast a three with the right cogs.
I think the brain is still specialized claim to fame.
It seems pretty cool, but it has some mixed reviews and also seems to requires a bit of maintenance.

They offer an epic “evo” model that doesn’t use the brain, but for similar costs and weight it looks like you could get a sc blur for about 1k cheaper.
I think the blurs a couple lbs heavier. 23ish for the epic and 25ish for the blur from what I’ve been reading.
But with the extra lbs on the blur you get a dropper post and remote sus locks. 🤷‍♂️

What are your thoughts on electric shifting?

What kind of gravel bike do you ride?

What would you be looking for in a gravel bike?

For the most part that my experience during my brief stay in CO. Got tired of being ignored by the high dollar shops in Boulder staffed by anemic looking 30 year old Cat 3 road racers who still think they're going to make it. My Trek commuter bike wasn't worth their time. I did find Louisville Cyclery which treated me well. We do have Ft. Collins people drive up to Laramie for our bike shops and trails.
I went to a bike shop in Boulder awhile back for my franken-bike (bianchi frame covered in stickers, commuter slicks, comfy handebars) and they turned me away because my bike was too janky (eg not a fancy mtb or .5lb triathlon grade road bike) for them to demean themselves to work on. Totem is a great shop in Denver proper. Boulder can go f itself.

You can switch out the entire cassette. Not sure about individual fears, but I did this to mine a few years ago. You can also change to a smaller chain crank.

Probably isn’t much difference in top and bottom end gearing. There’s a lot of overlap in 2 and 3x gears.

What kind of gravel bike do you ride?

What would you be looking for in a gravel bike?

i still at this point in time just ride road.

i've been eyeing the giant revolt. tho it would be cool to have more of a bikepacking set up put together with a local frame.

i wouldn't be looking for too much, personally, in a gravel bike. as long as it's a gravel bike. but not too stiff, not too heavy, mid to high end componenets. otherwise as long as the price is right.

Possibly, but remember you’re balancing performance on the trail too. You looking at 1x12?
Most of the bikes I’ve been looking at are 1x12’s.
My current Kona has a 1x11 30t chainring with a 11-50t cassette.
It’s fine for the trails, but it just doesn’t have quite enough top end for the road.
I never get into the high gear on the trails so I was wondering if I could just swap out the last cog and gain some speed? 🤷‍♂️

After doing minimal research I’m going to assume the blur and the epic will both have more top end than my know since the have bigger front chain rings and a smaller cog on the back 🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nurek
Back