Anybody Buying Yet? Where’s the Bottom?

You and I know all of the stuff is just anti-Biden political fodder and none of it relevant to Putin's decision. What he sees is American's split 50/50 on pretty much everything, with a wide divide between. We are complaining about inflation and gasoline prices. He knows he can impact what we believe through flooding social media with fake posts and he knows we no longer have the stomach for sending Americans to fight across the world. Not standing together is weakness. Attacking each other is weakness. This is why I'm not sure where he stops. I don't believe Russian citizens have enough give-a-shit to see their young men die to take over Ukraine, but unfortunately we will have to see. And they can't cast a ballot and get rid of him.

So what do I do with my 401k? Park it from further loss or double down?
Always better to ride out the volatility than to park it in cash. Especially if you don't need it anytime soon. Valuations look a lot better here at S&P 4300 than they did at the end of the year when it was 4800. I am more comfortable putting long-term money to work here, but it could be a crazy ride.

Always better to ride out the volatility than to park it in cash. Especially if you don't need it anytime soon. Valuations look a lot better here at S&P 4300 than they did at the end of the year when it was 4800. I am more comfortable putting long-term money to work here, but it could be a crazy ride.

Agreed. Especially on the last part. Will probably be a wild month or 3.

I've been buying the last few weeks and this morning. Would still like to see a 2-3 day bloodbath where we lose 2,000-3,000+ points on the Dow but that doesn't always happen. Streets are bloody now but could always get worse. Need the crystal ball on that though.

Unless things get a lot worse with the Ukraine situation and the inflation/Fed, I strongly believe we'll be in the green at the end of the year. S&P 5,000 wouldn't surprise me if things just get back to semi-normal.

@BigHornRam what's the point of all your articles? Just to read them for funzies or is it supposed to be related to investing? Political reasons?

@BigHornRam what's the point of all your articles? Just to read them for funzies or is it supposed to be related to investing? Political reasons?
Its casual reading material, as is @noharleyyet 's contribution to the thread re: Ukraine.
This has been a great thread and as many investors are aware, global developments take markets on Mr. Toad's wild ride.

It's a choice to read or not.

Always better to ride out the volatility than to park it in cash.
I couldn’t disagree more. It took over 15 years for the Nasdaq-100 to recover from the dot com crash. We owe it to our children and grandchildren to manage their wealth better than that.

I couldn’t disagree more. It took over 15 years for the Nasdaq-100 to recover from the dot com crash. We owe it to our children and grandchildren to manage their wealth better than that.
Your choice. You could have cited Japan’s Nikki in the 90’s as an even better example. Neither of the examples alone are diversified portfolios. And you should have dollar-cost averaged in over the whole recovery time period as it would be irresponsible to go all-in at a single time.

Let us know how your choice works out for you.

Let us know how your choice works out for you.
I am doing extremely well relative to the S&P 500. When the bottom is in, I'll have more capital than when it topped. People (not saying you) who follow the Dave Ramsey plan of just buying growth stock mutual funds and holding till retirement could get wiped out and take years to recover. Anyone with hard earned capital owes it to themselves and their beneficiaries to learn when to take equity risk off the table and when to back up the truck. Bonds aren't risk free either BTW.

A world war might have an impact on your investments. Don't have to educate yourself if that is your prerogative.

Wars have historically been great buying opportunities. Could we go down to S&P 3500 if things go bad with Russia/Ukraine and China/Taiwan? Absolutely. Maybe things don't go quite so bad though and we don't go that low. I have zero idea what Putin and Xi are going to do and how that will affect markets in the next 3 months. I do believe they'll be higher a year from now though.

Markets historically trend up. Most of the time, that's a really tough trend to fight.

Last edited:
does dave ramsey actually recommend going all in on growth stocks and holding till retirement?

i find that hard to believe
I did FPU about 13 years ago. That was the advice he gave at the time. Maybe he gives different advice now.

Wars have historically been great buying opportunities. Could we go down to S&P 3500 if things go bad with Russia/Ukraine and China/Taiwan? Absolutely. Maybe things don't go quite so bad though and we don't go that low. I have zero idea what Putin and Xi are going to do and how that will affect markets in the next 3 months. I do believe they'll be higher a year from now though.

Markets historically trend up. Most of the time, that's a really tough trend to fight.
Good luck with your investments then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back