Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Anybody Buying Yet? Where’s the Bottom?

Sold all my rentals and flips whether they were finished or not during the peak of the Realestate craziness. Waiting for the bottom to finish falling out and then I’ll reinvest the money I’m sitting on

Rising interest on the debt means the debt will continue to go up, unless of course the government reduces its spending which is very unlikely. The inflation snowball will just keep getting bigger. Fed will keep raising rates, and the CNBC dunces will keep whining.
Bighorn, what are you even talking about? You're saying government debt is the reason for inflation and it's going to cause inflation to keep increasing?

Apparently, Wells Fargo is stepping out of the mortgage business. They will instead keep and maintain in-house only.
I hope this is more about their recovery attempt from the 2015 fiasco than it's about interest rates, regulations, and future housing outlook.

Their 'folio was 40% mortgage operations. News released from the recent earnings conference.

Must be some pretty impressive bar bills to get your share over the originally proposed $600 threshold for reporting.

It's not going to take much human involvement for the IRS to match up reported payments to income on the corresponding tax returns. They already do that right now for most reported sources of income. Just forget to include a 1099 on your tax return and they will go ahead and send you a notice with the tax that is due.

I'm really surprised that there hasn't already been a push for W-2 earners who take the standard deduction to no longer have to file a tax return anymore. I think it because so many people over withhold and the IRS would actually lose money if it when ahead and calculated their tax owed. As a partner in a CPA firm I think the window for basic tax preparation revenue is probably less than 10 years from ceasing to exist.
I bought a box of shots at a wedding one time. Circa early 2000s. $180. Adjust that for inflation

Bighorn, what are you even talking about? You're saying government debt is the reason for inflation and it's going to cause inflation to keep increasing?
How old are you? Obvious you weren't around in the 70's.
Sound a lot like what we are in the midst of in the 2020's? Cheap money and out of control government spending, that leads to out of control inflation and debt. Then high unemployment. Add a string of incompetent elected leaders. (Johnson, Nixon, Carter-Obama, Trump, Biden) Once the snowball starts rolling downhill it feeds on itself. That's where we are headed. That's why I don't have much faith in the market in the next several years. We will find out soon enough who is right and who is wrong.

I had a concrete sub-contractor that did a lot of work for me way back. He wasn't great at numbers and made a few mistakes on his taxes. One Friday he took a check from me for the latest job to the bank to deposit it. It was also payday for his crew. He came back a little later saying the IRS siezed his bank accounts. The teller told him to make sure his crew came in immediately to cash their checks before his account was locked. Nice of her to tell him that....probably could have got her fired.

$5,000 tax mistake was blown up to $100,000 with fines and penalties. It ended getting resolved for a lot less, but the IRS doesn't screw around when they go after you.
I've hired good accountants over the business years and have been fortunate to have never been audited.....yet.
What a crock of bs, could you mis represent any harder to maintain your narrative? He had to deliberately ignore years of communications before they're seizing assets.

Every contractor I know brags about all the ways they dodge the law on taxes, insurance, and bennies, it's the contractor way, just like jacked up trucks.

What a crock of bs, could you mis represent any harder to maintain your narrative? He had to deliberately ignore years of communications before they're seizing assets.

Every contractor I know brags about all the ways they dodge the law on taxes, insurance, and bennies, it's the contractor way, just like jacked up trucks.
Don't how long his tax problem was going on. It was back in the 90's. Contractors didn't drive jacked up trucks back then. Just beat up trucks. Should of said his bank accounts were frozen. The issue was resolved. My point was back then the IRS was very aggressive in getting money owed to them. Today they might be quite lax. If every contractor you know brag about how they cheat the system, it's only a matter of time before they get an audit. It always catches up to you. Ask Hunter.

Sound a lot like what we are in the midst of in the 2020's? Cheap money and out of control government spending, that leads to out of control inflation and debt. Then high unemployment. Add a string of incompetent elected leaders. (Johnson, Nixon, Carter-Obama, Trump, Biden) Once the snowball starts rolling downhill it feeds on itself. That's where we are headed. That's why I don't have much faith in the market in the next several years. We will find out soon enough who is right and who is wrong.
Were you alive in the 1930's? Here is what happens the last time the government tried to run a balanced budget in the middle of an economic downturn.

*Every contractor I know brags about all the ways they dodge the law on taxes, insurance, and bennies, it's the contractor way, just like jacked up trucks.
neffa, a huge portion of building customers prefer dealing with contractors who skirt regulations...until it bites them, and it often does. Residential is the worst but it exists plenty in commercial also. I have to laugh when I overhear someone 'misrepresenting' a successful builder or subcontractor as being too expensive. We've had many a GC or owner contact us to finish or remedy a subcontract for incorrect install or failure to perform.

(Bolded) You really should meet better craftsmen/businessmen. ; )

Were you alive in the 1930's? Here is what happens the last time the government tried to run a balanced budget in the middle of an economic downturn.

A study by two economists at the University of California, Los Angeles estimated that the New Deal extended the Great Depression by at least seven years.
But it is possible that the relatively quick recovery, which was characteristic of other post-depression recoveries, may not have occurred as rapidly post-1929. That's because it was the first time the general public (not just the Wall Street elite) lost large amounts in the stock market.

neffa, a huge portion of building customers prefer dealing with contractors who skirt regulations...until it bites them, and it often does. Residential is the worst but it exists plenty in commercial also. I have to laugh when I overhear someone 'misrepresenting' a successful builder or subcontractor as being too expensive. We've had many a GC or owner contact us to finish or remedy a subcontract for incorrect install or failure to perform.

AMEN!

A study by two economists at the University of California, Los Angeles estimated that the New Deal extended the Great Depression by at least seven years.
But it is possible that the relatively quick recovery, which was characteristic of other post-depression recoveries, may not have occurred as rapidly post-1929. That's because it was the first time the general public (not just the Wall Street elite) lost large amounts in the stock market.
The statement isn't exactly worded correctly in my opinion. The study (actually, they created a model and concluded from that model, so typical of university economists) that said some of the policies designed to give labor more power in negotiations hampered the economy's ability to return to trend growth. Lots of ways to pick apart economic models because they have a ton of assumptions and none of them prove anything. You also have to remember that US economy was largely Agricultural at the time and the entire country was in a prolonged drought. Not surprising it couldn't get back to trend.
The main causes are pretty well agreed up. All the other models are tweaking around the edges. I can't wait to see the models that come from the last 10-15 years.

What Really Caused the Great Depression?​

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what specific factor caused the Great Depression. But economists and historians generally agree that there were several mitigating factors that led to this period of downturn. These include the stock market crash of 1929, the gold standard, a drop in lending and tariffs, as well as banking panics, and contracted monetary policies by the Fed.

Back then all you needed to be a contractor was a dog and a truck. Now I guess you need a dog and a jacked up truck.😁
And excuses. Every contractor now says "the last contractor to work on this didn't do it right". Those were probably the guys in the beat-up trucks. I've seen enough of the work to agree it wasn't done right. God blessed contractors when he invented caulk.

Bingo........

Nope I sure wasn't. I didn't make my appearance til the 80s. That article though talks a lot more about Fed policy driving 70s inflation than debt.

If there is one thing that should be crystal clear after these last few years, it's that little to nothing matters besides the Fed. The Fed is the 800 pound gorilla. Things like government debt, the Ukraine war, the POTUS, China/Taiwan, and debt ceiling shenanigans don't matter. They're nothing burgers. They make great talking points and people get worked up about them but none of that crap hardly matters. Monetary policy is king.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fred Powell Sr
Back