MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Any Montana bulls down?

Just out of the woods in New Mexico and checked this thread to see some great bulls killed. Congrats to all. Some amazing bulls hit the ground every year in the Montana archery season.

Heading out for a short four-day MT archery hunt later this week. Hope I can find one to add to this thread.

I take it that New Mexico was not kind to you this year Randy?

GH. I can only imagine the bulls you pass on to shoot the ones you do!! You are the most humble elk hunter in the world. Maybe I should move to MT...next time a job opens up over there I'll discuss it with the wife. Heckuvabull!!

You and me both, place looks better all the time

Great bulls guys. I like the pink call Greenhorn. Camo to match someday? Congrats. mtmuley

Holy moly. Threads like this are going to be the demise of elk hunting in MT as you guys know it, but thanks for sharing. ;) Congrats to everyone.

That is a stud, GH! So where do all these monsters end up hanging? I don't know how you could have a house big enough. Not to mention you got another one in the house now racking up a taxidermy bill.

Congrats to you and your boy!

Holy moly. Threads like this are going to be the demise of elk hunting in MT as you guys know it, but thanks for sharing. ;) Congrats to everyone.

But wait, this can't be, SFW and Toby Bridges proclaimed the wolves ate them all. :eek:

Really, it amazes me how good the archery elk hunting is in Montana and somehow we still have left-over tags. The general archery elk tag in MT is as good as anywhere, but for some reason unknown to me, guys will wait five years for a limited entry non-resident tag in other states, for areas that do not have the quality of archery hunting that the general units have in MT.

I know of at least four other bulls over 350+ that will never make it to a website, as those guys do not post anything about their hunts. I am sure there are many more of that category we will never hear about. And, all the bulls I am talking about were taken self-guided, on public land.

The thing most people fail to realize is that our bulls are mostly on public during archery season. The cows are still high up, so the bulls are still high up. That high ground is predominantly public. After the rut, when the snow and rifle hunting pressure come, it gets tougher, as many of these elk areas have private ground in the low country, most of which is off limits.

But, maybe we should just delete this thread and keep it a secret. :rolleyes:

Headed out tomorrow for four days in hopes that I can add one to this thread.

Will be in MT 2.5 hours with bow in hand. Sitting in Salt Lake waiting for my connection. The Big Hole is covered in snow so it should be interesting. Guessing not much rutting activity but it should be easy to cut tracks and find the elk.

Had a brutal Archery hunt but still thinking about coming back again or later for rifle season. Just wish I drew the tag for Columbus. Going from an area your family knows really well to other areas is tough especially in Big Sky country.

I was out last weekend and they were bugling like crazy from around 2:00 am till 5:30 am then went as silent as a ghost.

Lots of out of state hunters doing a lot of bugling in this area and the elk are rather wise to them.

There should really be an entrance fee on this thread. More great bulls and awesome stories than any rag you could subscribe to. Congrats to all those who've killed bulls. I nearly pulled the trigger on a cow last weekend but this dumb thread haunts my aspirations.

As far as rut activity I hear people say this or that and the other, and lots of them seem to claim they know what's going on with elk hormones and how the weather effects it. I'll admit that I don't know didly as far as that goes, all I know is sometimes their vocal, sometimes their not. Sometimes big bulls are with cows and sometimes I see a big bull hanging out a few hundred yards out while a smaller bull is tending cows. What does it all mean? I haven't the first clue. This year the first 2 weekends I spent 3 nights out and hardly slept a wink as elk bugled pretty consistently from dusk until about an hour or two after dawn, then last weekend I was hearing bulls bugle until 11AM and then 2-5PM and nothing after that. Other guys I've talked to think its all over and the big bulls have already grouped up and vacated, but I don't buy that. To sum it up, I don't know what they are doing, I just hope one makes more mistakes than I do and takes an arrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back