American Cities

Charleston was one of the most pleasant cities I've ever been to.

Also really enjoy San Antonio and Austin.
If I could go back to 1994 I’d go to college in Charleston. One of the coolest college towns in the country. Not sure what I was thinking when I went to college in Duluth MN.

If you know where you are going and have a few bucks, every major city in the US has some great places to visit. For example, parts of Chicago are war zones, parts of Chicago have some of the nicest walks and food in the country. Don't let TV's microcosm or political narratives drive your travel. Conventional wisdom used to be that the Twin Cities were a great place, and now some say it is a horrible place, but in fact less than 5% of the metro area has changed one bit in the last 10 years. The places that got on the news weren't places anyone with any sense would have gone to in the first place.

If you know where you are going and have a few bucks, every major city in the US has some great places to visit. For example, parts of Chicago are war zones, parts of Chicago have some of the nicest walks and food in the country. Don't let TV's microcosm or political narratives drive your travel. Conventional wisdom used to be that the Twin Cities were a great place, and now some say it is a horrible place, but in fact less than 5% of the metro area has changed one bit in the last 10 years. The places that got on the news weren't places anyone with any sense would have gone to in the first place.

Going to the city is a lesson in who grew up a little rough & ready versus those who, IDK, played Lacrosse with guys named Thad or Chaz.

I haven't been in a ton of American Cities and cities are generally awful, but I did like San Diego and didn't see anyone taking a dump in the Gaslight District, though that was 5 years ago. When I am in the cities of the SW United States, I cannot help but have a general anxiety over the fact that damn near every one in em is gonna die when the power goes out and they can't get their water. I also kind thought Tampa, FL was surprisingly nice when we were there a couple years ago.

Honeymooned for a month in Australia/New Zealand over a decade ago. Every city in those countries was far and away cleaner and safer than cities of commensurate size I've been in in the USA.

Going to the city is a lesson in who grew up a little rough & ready versus those who, IDK, played Lacrosse with guys named Thad or Chaz.
It's all about adaptation. The average urbanite would last about three days in the mountain west wild country. The average ID local yokel will last about 15 minutes in some parts of Chicago. Each knows how to survive their habitat - it's Darwin baby.

High school field trip in the late 70's. First destination was the Sears Tower. Next stop, skid row. Definitely an eye opener.

I haven't been in a ton of American Cities and cities are generally awful, but I did like San Diego and didn't see anyone taking a dump in the Gaslight District, though that was 5 years ago. When I am in the cities of the SW United States, I cannot help but have a general anxiety over the fact that damn near every one in em is gonna die when the power goes out and they can't get their water. I also kind thought Tampa, FL was surprisingly nice when we were there a couple years ago.

Honeymooned for a month in Australia/New Zealand over a decade ago. Every city in those countries was far and away cleaner and safer than cities of commensurate size I've been in in the USA.
5,000 years of human civilizations shows cities will survive and thrive - may not always be pretty, but they always come back.

Last edited:
Is Boise considered a city? I go there a couple times a year and other than growing pains it doesn't seem too bad. I haven't seen a bad part of town. I'm always glad to leave though. Too busy for me.

It's all about adaptation. The average urbanite would last about three days in the mountain west wild country. The average ID local yokel will last about 15 minutes in some parts of Chicago. Each knows how to survive their habitat - it's Darwin baby.

Idahoans have never been known for their smarts, regardless of the urban/rural split.

this thread has me wanting to pack up and go visit some more cities for some tasty food.

i always think about how i need to get back to georgetown, kentucky. that city struck me every time with a great vibe. we always ate the same restaurant in town there, Local Feed - great american/southern with good whisky and cornbread served in mini cast irons. pity my aunt moved her horse operation back to colorado. i loved going out there.

i love the socal mexican food in san diego, always nice to have a changeup from my homegrown flaming hot green chile smothered southwest mex. san diego is a great visit. basically an annual visit for us.

and denver... ugh, denver. but man what a splattering of great burgers, farm to table restaurants specializing in massive dry aged steaks and excellent cocktails, more top notch southwest mexican than you could possibly know what to do with, some spot on wood fired pizza joints, and more.

food is what will have me on return visits to cities.

denver. but man what a splattering of great burgers, farm to table restaurants specializing in massive dry aged steaks and excellent cocktails, more top notch southwest mexican than you could possibly know what to do with
Gimme some tips. I am there more than I prefer, but it’s usually a hit and run. Sometimes, however, I have to go for the “culture.” You know, like a Rockies game. 😉

i say pretty much every major city is an absolute irreconcilable shit show while almost always simultaneously filled with neat districts and neighborhoods containing an abundance of great restaurants, shops, and entertainment.
As someone who has traveled to perform work at hospitals in most major cities in the US, this is pretty much spot on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back