Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

American Cities

MTGomer

In the last couple months, I’ve been to Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas, Reno, and San Diego, which left me thinking the same thing you hear a lot- our cities are going to shit. San Diego could be super nice but the homelessness, open air drug use, people taking a dump on the sidewalk in front of a High-rise in the gaslamp district, etc. isn’t all that wonderful.
Then, a few weeks ago, we went to Nashville. What an example that things don’t have to be the other way. For someone that doesn’t even like cities or crowds, I really liked Nashville. It’s safe, it’s clean. The people are friendly, the food, even the hot chicken that can be ordered at scorching temperatures, are all wonderful.

What other American cities are like Nashville?

IMG_1437.jpeg

I think many major cities have their nice parts, it’s just the headlines get made off the non-touristy areas. Chicago, Atlanta and Miami quickly come to mind in this regard IMO.
I think you are probably right. I guess my question should be which cities make you take a shit and shoot heroin in the ghetto, and which ones allow you to do it in front of children and tourist/ in the city’s core areas, in front of expensive real estate, hotels, restaurants, and centers for business and commerce?
I realize that everywhere that has people will always have issues to some extent.

What is a city?
Fairbanks is the second largest city in Alaska with a population of 33,000.
It is a city? It has the box stores (Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart)
and 3 MacDonalds.
It serves about 100,000 people within the surrounding 200 mile radius.
It has an international airport, a research university, state offices, federal offices (NPS, USFWS, BLM)
Is it a city?

Missoula is a city to me. mtmuley
At one time Missoula was quite alright. Started driving road trucks out of there in 1973, I think that was the year. Mountain Pacific Trucking. Back then for a city Missoula didn't bother me. haven't been in Missoula for years but have heard things that just don't sit well with me. Took my mother up to see my sister in Kalispell maybe 2002 and couldn't believe the shape of Kalispell. Over run with hippi type's! Not a place I'd want to be anymore. Haven't been in a big city I can recall other than Bend, Oregon since I retired almost 20 yrs ago! And need a damn good reason to go to Bend!

I’m not well traveled when it comes to cities but Omaha is only 90 miles east of me, so it’s always fun to spend a weekend there.

I visited Seattle a lot when my wife was working there for a 1 year residency. It was a pretty cool spot. Rented boats and salmon fished one weekend. Went to Pikes Place and and ate some really nice meals. One of her coworkers invited us over for a clam boil right off the sound which was pretty cool. Got a little weird towards the end when mobs started taking over entire streets. Haven’t been back since.

Columbus, OH was a pretty cool city to visit when I was younger. Lots of sporting events, vibrant college town feel. Hockey, college football, good food.

Went to Boston for a work trip recently and thought it was a pretty nice spot to visit. Crazy seeing all the people packed into such a tight area and how all apartment buildings are integrated in with the stores and restaurants. Never felt unsafe walking around, at least where we were. Now Vegas and San Diego and all the homeless stuff and drugs aren’t places I’m really interested in going back to.

Last edited:
I’ve got a lot of people in Nashville. I’ve lived there previously and have been visiting for decades. Great town for the most part, but it’s got its dumpy areas and other problems all the same. not really surprised by Oak’s post at all.

How hot did you go on that chicken?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back