Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

American Cities

Gimme some tips. I am there more than I prefer, but it’s usually a hit and run. Sometimes, however, I have to go for the “culture.” You know, like a Rockies game. 😉

Burgers - this is really the spot you should be after

Steak

Wings

Good 'ol Diner

Yuppy Millennial Stuff

My favorite mexican falls outside of denver proper. though hit up la loma for decent plate of rellenos. brush up on your spanish and wander into basically any counter serve carniceria for what will be top notch mexican food.

Denver's dense hispanic population makes the majority of sit down mexican fare plenty good - throw a dart. there's too many to try.

My sincere apologies to all ID residents. ;) I did not intend to call you out, it was just the first rural mountain west state abbreviation that came to mind. It could have been MT, UT, WY, etc.

With the Hunting Princess in school at Belmont we are in Nashville quite a bit now. I like it more than I thought I would as I am in NO way a fan of country music. Hot chicken is a REAL bonus, downtown is pretty fun, I have fraternity brothers in Franklin that I get to see and outside town is nice. One big negative is the traffic/road design is horrible for the size town it is.

I have traveled the entire country and a good part of the world. Outside the US my favorite big city, by a MILE, is Munich. Gorgeous, safe, best beer in the world, great food, every type of cultural experience and a stone's throw from the Alps.

In the US my entirely biased opinion is Indianapolis. It is my hometown and it is a great combonation of large (downtown), suburbs, rationally thought out and easy to navigate driving, friendly people, a walkable and safe downtown with tons to do and relatively low costs of living. Everytime I go back it takes a LOT to leave. An honorable mention, allthough I wouldn't call it big, is the previously mentioned Charleston. I have been there a few times and always had a good time and great food.

As for the "not again for any amount of money" ....Seattle, Portland, LA, New York, Boston, Chicago and I would add Denver but am forced to go there occasionally. I will say that outside of the downtown areas of these spots can be found good places but the negatives in the downtowns far outweigh the positives for me. The worst local ( not import) people for me are those in the NE. When I was small my parents divorced, was forced to live in CT for several years and have never been treated so badly in my life. The people were horrible, condescending, self important and generally unpleasant. The bigger cities in NE are disgustingly dirty, expensive and the populaces have ridiculously inflated opinions of themselves and the cities. Again, outside of the cities is a different matter to some degree.
Ahh Munich. One the most glorious hangovers I've ever had was following a night of those tasty litres of beer on the heels of a TDY in Germany. We ended up partying with a group of locals and Brits, who challenged us Merican service members to a little drinking game. We all piled into the subway system and at each stop, the challenge was to pronounce the street names correctly. If we did, the other groups would pay for a round at the nearest pub, if we didn't, we paid. Those bastards didn't pay a dime for drinks that night but we weren't about to turn down a challenge from any red coats.

Reactions: Oak
I've lived in Kalispell since 1981. I have no idea why someone would ever think it was overrun with hippie types.
I lived in Big Fork and lakeside 1970 to 1974 then moved to Missoula. That's why! Kalispell used to be a nice town. Early 1970's I'd go up to Polebridge quite a bit. Went up when I took my mom the Kalispell and never do that again, been over run with hippie type people. Can't even get a slice of rat cheese up there anymore!

My sincere apologies to all ID residents. ;) I did not intend to call you out, it was just the first rural mountain west state abbreviation that came to mind. It could have been MT, UT, WY, etc.
People addicted to the modern day version of bread and circuses are differently abled.

Then, a few weeks ago, we went to Nashville. What an example that things don’t have to be the other way. For someone that doesn’t even like cities or crowds, I really liked Nashville. It’s safe, it’s clean. The people are friendly, the food, even the hot chicken that can be ordered at scorching temperatures, are all wonderful.

What other American cities are like Nashville?
This post reminds me of Tucker Carlson's recent trip to Moscow, Russia, where he only went to the nice places and avoided the bad. Coming away with a sense that Moscow is a lovely place, and not the oppressive impoverished state that it it actually is. If you only go to the touristy spots (as this photo shows), then you probably missed the worst of it.

I've been to Tucson (my sister lives there) and the parts that are nice are really nice. Same goes for Chicago, Denver, Portland, Seattle, Albuquerque, Reno, Vegas, Kansas City, Anchorage, etc. Three hot sticky days in Nashville was all I needed to decide it was a fun place to visit, but Broadway Street is exhausting after a few days.

Abroad: Rome and Athens had some of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, and also some of the worst graffiti and petty theft. Singapore was so clean it felt stale (and is also the product of a dictatorship). Bangkok has beauty, Jakarta is pure chaos.

All that to say, a city is simply what you choose to make of it.

I lived in Big Fork and lakeside 1970 to 1974 then moved to Missoula. That's why! Kalispell used to be a nice town. Early 1970's I'd go up to Polebridge quite a bit. Went up when I took my mom the Kalispell and never do that again, been over run with hippie type people. Can't even get a slice of rat cheese up there anymore!
Yuppies and druggies.

This post reminds me of Tucker Carlson's recent trip to Moscow, Russia, where he only went to the nice places and avoided the bad. Coming away with a sense that Moscow is a lovely place, and not the oppressive impoverished state that it it actually is. If you only go to the touristy spots (as this photo shows), then you probably missed the worst of it.

I've been to Tucson (my sister lives there) and the parts that are nice are really nice. Same goes for Chicago, Denver, Portland, Seattle, Albuquerque, Reno, Vegas, Kansas City, Anchorage, etc. Three hot sticky days in Nashville was all I needed to decide it was a fun place to visit, but Broadway Street is exhausting after a few days.

Abroad: Rome and Athens had some of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, and also some of the worst graffiti and petty theft. Singapore was so clean it felt stale (and is also the product of a dictatorship). Bangkok has beauty, Jakarta is pure chaos.

Attachments

• E0AD3A0A-5F80-442F-9B8A-2D0A14D74D2B.jpeg
    E0AD3A0A-5F80-442F-9B8A-2D0A14D74D2B.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 6

I guess the difference between Nashville and the other cities is like you say they keep the bad stuff away from those areas.
The gaslamp district in San Diego is very nice, touristy, high end businesses and commerce.
Hotels were 2x as much as Nashville, condos across the road were $2-$3M and there were people living, defecating and having mental breakdowns on the sidewalks in front of all of it.
Phoenix is worse every time I go downtown. Of course, a person could go to Old Town or Gilbert and never see any of that.

I guess the difference between Nashville and the other cities is like you say they keep the bad stuff away from those areas.
The gaslamp district in San Diego is very nice, touristy, high end businesses and commerce.
Hotels were 2x as much as Nashville, condos across the road were $2-$3M and there were people living, defecating and having mental breakdowns on the sidewalks in front of all of it.
Phoenix is worse every time I go downtown. Of course, a person could go to Old Town or Gilbert and never see any of that.
Timing also matters. I predict Nashville is far nicer and cheaper in the heart of winter than late July, when I was there and wading through significant amounts of bachelorette party puke.

I love big cities for their food, events and activities.

I love the suburbs for the easy living they provide while raising kids and working hard.

I love small towns for the quirky, almost random, food and bar options as well as getting out of the echo chamber of the cities and ‘burbs to bask in its own type of echo chamber.

I love the wilderness - the ability to get away and wallow in nature.

There are upsides and downsides to all places, but why not see to glory of each and enjoy this great country fully. Like I always told my kids - happiness is a choice. You can either choose to embrace the good or pout about the bad - that’s on you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back