Yeti GOBOX Collection

A Navy Veteran’s perspective on racism

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Black 2 parent households have a 5% poverty rate.
Black 1 parent households have a 30% poverty rate.
White 1 parent households have 20% poverty rate.

Key to staying out of poverty is to get and stay married.
77% of Black children are born out of wedlock.

Graduate HS
Get a full time job
Avoid teen pregnancy

Do those three and life is much easier, regardless of race.

Good to read most of the discussion here. I don't think I saw it mentioned yet, but check out "13TH" on Netflix. We watched it over the weekend which was definitely very interesting and goes into quite a bit of history.
This interview with Lee Awater is mentioned:

A good number of people are incarcerated on simple marijuana possession charges. Possessing a substance, especially something as benign as MJ has nothing to do with disrespecting humanity. Furthermore, in regards to MJ, minorities are disproportionately arrested for possession relative to the statistics on usage. Now think about how far reaching the consequences a simple arrest can have, not only on an individual but for whole communities. The following article is a must read and its high time for those of us encapsulated in our bubble to recognize what the world is like for those outside of it.

In California people don't go to prison for marijuana unless they are doing major illegal grows.

Black 2 parent households have a 5% poverty rate.
Black 1 parent households have a 30% poverty rate.
White 1 parent households have 20% poverty rate.

Key to staying out of poverty is to get and stay married.
77% of Black children are born out of wedlock.

Graduate HS
Get a full time job
Avoid teen pregnancy

Do those three and life is much easier, regardless of race.

Pretty much the ticket for success. 1 wife, 1 house and one dog. Work and save and you’ll get there.

Link from the feed of Larry Elder.
and to tie this into hunting, I feel the ideal of systemic racism as it ties into opportunity is false based on the folks I've listened to and heard statistics from.

Last edited:
Today sure, but how long has this been the case? And how many are still incarcerated for crimes that would be dismissed today?
Well at least in this state they have been releasing prisoners at a huge rate for "non violent crimes" including drug crimes for quite a while now. Guess what direction the crime rate has been ....?

My point is, there are definitely people who are treating minorities u fairly and that needs to be addressed, but I don't think the whole system is biased.

Anyone interested in reading the article that started this post and commenting on how it applies to hunting, fishing, and the outdoors? If not, I'm pretty sure this thread will get locked before I go to bed tonight.
Well apparently if you get married and have one dog and one house, your life will be grand. And if you say the pledge of allegiance every day, your brake lines won’t get cut if you’re a black guy trying to fly fish.

Good to read most of the discussion here. I don't think I saw it mentioned yet, but check out "13TH" on Netflix. We watched it over the weekend which was definitely very interesting and goes into quite a bit of history.
This interview with Lee Awater is mentioned:
And then the strategy of Nixon was rediscovered by Clinton and Biden 20 years later.

Anyone interested in reading the article that started this post and commenting on how it applies to hunting, fishing, and the outdoors? If not, I'm pretty sure this thread will get locked before I go to bed tonight.

I triple dog dare ya to lock it now!

I don't know if it's from living in a diverse state or the people I'm around (mostly minorities) but the systemic racism thing seems to be a regional issue in our country. Where I live is very blue collar, it's about 50% white, 40% Hispanic and 5% each of black and various Asian ethnicities. I work in the ag industry where other than the actual farmers just about everyone is Mexican and a few black guys. I also have family members who are minorities ethnically, when I talk to them about racism most of them laugh at me saying it's not what people make it out to be. From their point of view this is what I've gotten from them....

Are there racist people, absolutely. Are there people in positions of power who look down on minorities of course. Does it make the entire system racist.... now that's painting with a very broad brush.

Many of these guys grew up in rough upbringings and told me that most of the arrests and issues with authorities are brought on from their own doing. Everyday on the local news there are shootings and murders and just about everytime it is gang related. Our jails/local prisons are occupied by mostly minorities, the local gangs are all minority based. Is that because the local cops are racist (many of which are Hispanic) or is it because these guys grew up not respecting humanity, many had fatherless homes and got into drugs?

What that cop did was horrible and needs to pay severe consequences. But I don't see what he did was any more racist than if a black cop did the same thing to a white guy.

The posts from the people to the guy that wrote the article was despicable. It's a bad representation of outdoorsmen that I think most of us would agree isn't the norm. I'm not discounting the fact that he has dealt with racist jerks when fishing but I don't think it can be concluded that all people who fish are racist.

I'm not trying to be the one to throw a different perspective in this thread and cause arguments. The conclusion I think we all have is no matter what race we are all human and all deserve he same respect whether from authority or anyone else. There may be pockets of racism in this country but the white privilege thing has really gotten old.... The fact that we live in America is a privilege, that we are physically able to get up and go to work is a privilege, that we had people of all races die for this country is a privilege. We might not all get to start from the same point but we all have the same opportunities to work your butt of and make something of yourself.

Agreed, I grew up in cities that were relatively racially diverse. I have just as many friends who are non white as white. I grew up hunting and fishing with Asians, Indonesians, Hispanics and even a black female who I waterfowl hunted with often in the Sacramento valley. I have never experienced or witnessed anything like what the author in the op describes. Many of these people hunt and fish with me in Montana now and hasn’t happened here either. That certainly doesn’t mean it don’t exist or didn’t happen.

I thought of commenting on this thread further but I’m not going to, for a multitude of reasons.

Messages and comments sent to him were nasty. Having your vehicle vandalized in the great outdoors can happen to anyone.
I invited my good friend, who’s Black, over for a day of long range shooting at the farm. You have to drive through our neighbors field to get to us. The neighbor stopped my friend to see who he was. I thought that was great, as we look out for each other’s property. Friend didn’t think it was so great because he felt that he was profiled.

Link from the feed of Larry Elder.
and to tie this into hunting, I feel the ideal of systemic racism as it ties into opportunity is false based on the folks I've listened to and heard statistics from.
Crickets........ur not fitting in Zach😲

Some of what the fly fisherman experienced is just the fact that he might appear out of place.
My son was getting in the blocks at the state track meet. The kid next to him said, “damn, you the only white dude out here”. Well, it was true!
Son has fly fished a bit with a Black man in both Idaho and Colorado. He hasn’t mentioned that his friend has gotten any flack for it. I’ll have to ask him.

Anyone interested in reading the article that started this post and commenting on how it applies to hunting, fishing, and the outdoors?

Two ways - One, it shines a light on one problem facing the building of the next generation of hunters as demographics dramatically shift over the next 30 years (old, rural and white is not the future). Second, threads like this give me a reminder of which HT members I don't want to share a camp with ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back