A Navy Veteran’s perspective on racism

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
GF was not a good person. Career criminal with numerous felonies and multiple convictions and prison terms. His last arrest was for trying to push a counterfeit $20 onto an unsuspecting citizen who was on it. During this guy’s initial contact with the Leo’s he dropped a dime bag of white; obviously racist” powder on to the ground. Oops 😬. His autopsy showed fentanyl, cocaine and mj in his blood. Snap! Yeah this is the guy I’m gonna riot for. :cautious:
Wow!! You're so delusional I'm shocked you weren't picked to be the vice-president.

I think the amount of misinformation as well as very polarizing opinions has made for a lot of confusion on the issues within the movement. Today I heard 4 very different meanings of "defund the cops" and to be honest, I have no clue which one is correct or rather what the majority of people want.
A lot of these polarizing opinions also seem to squash any hope of a conversation that will lead to change because either people arent willing to speak for fear of being attacked because they arent quite sure how to say what they believe or people wont listen because they believe things should only be done one way. I saw so many posts that very plainly put, were in the form of "us vs. them" and I dont think that helps.

There is much truth to this. People are easily distracted as well, and then their focus of the conversation shifts. Some of this talk is entirely reactionary and based on raw emotion and frustration.

I’m not sure there is a “right way” to go about undertaking drastic societal change. For sure though, the wrong way is to get hung up within our own tribal camps and do nothing.

I'm not familiar with the MPDF and not disagreeing w/ your thoughts of protective unions, to an extent...
With that in mind, Union strength is not created from thin air. It's the response/result of extreme abuse of autoworkers, steelworkers, electrical, police, fire, etc by the company or governing entity.
Far too often, w/in election cycled Management - sacrificing a firefighter, medic or officer to quell a fickle mob is political and far from legitimate review boards.

There is a reason unions must be protective. It's a process. As is our legal system, better to let a few criminals walk than to trample on the innocent and even still innocent are found guilty.

I.e. fruit of the poisonous tree.

Again, not disagreeing w/ the basis of union strength though far from supportive of a weak union.
I was talking about one individual in a position of power, not raising a broad discussion on unions in general.

The right side is the willingness to acknowledge we still have Americans in America that are subjected to inequities soley based on the color of their skin.
You are never going to rid the country of that, ever. That is true of every skin color available in the US. And the black folks who oppose this mentality, they are sworn off as Uncle Tom's. Coincidently, Larry Elder has documentary of the same name coming out soon.

I am hesitant to post this, as it is fairly graphic and hard to watch. It's not something to watch with children around. But my wife and I saw this woman, Kimberly Jones, speak last night and I have been thinking about what she said ever since. I am all too comfortable in my white bubble, and so it is necessary for me to push past that, and get uncomfortable so that I can better understand others' perspectives. This video puts a lot of what I've been struggling with into perspective, and addresses what systemic racism is, does, and looks like.

Thats a hell of a message and it really displays the reality of life. I was unaware of tulsa and rosewood, thats terrible....

Watched the service where Al Sharpton spoke of the wickedness of men. Wickedness of men in high places. Also mentioned we’ve come a long way, but that we have a long way to go.

Monumental task to undo the wrong-doings of the past. But you know what isn’t monumental is being nice to one another. A lot could be said for just not contributing to the hurt of people. Told a friend it’s hard to not be wicked...to have the will power and fortitude to be good.

I don’t know a fix to this problem, but I know how to not contribute to it.

I’m not sure there is a “right way” to go about undertaking drastic societal change. For sure though, the wrong way is to get hung up within our own tribal camps and do nothing.

Maybe we could get back to this simple rebeginning. I swear allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands. One nation under GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. E Pluribus Unum

My ignorance is so profound it's daunting, I've struggled to discuss the current protest with my children as everything starts with "I've read, or I've heard..." and when they ask what the protesters want I often struggle even worse. I don't know the specifics, and some of the specifics I don't agree with (no police?).

I also don't know what I personally could be doing better from a racism point of view, I don't feel racist, I don't think anyone is born better than anyone else, but should be judged on the decisions they make in life, I try to keep equality on my mind when I vote, I try to teach my children that everyone is equal, yet it seems like the media is telling me that I should be doing more and oddly that I should feel guilty for who I am, and I struggle with that. I'm proud of who I am and where I came from.

Call your representative and tell them to support Justin Amash's ending qualified immunity bill

Thats a hell of a message and it really displays the reality of life. I was unaware of tulsa and rosewood, thats terrible....

And many others.

Maybe we could get back to this simple rebeginning. I swear allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands. One nation under GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. E Pluribus Unum

Why stop at 1954 instead of the original? “I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands; one nation indivisible, with liberty and Justice for all.”

I think the amount of misinformation as well as very polarizing opinions has made for a lot of confusion on the issues within the movement. Today I heard 4 very different meanings of "defund the cops" and to be honest, I have no clue which one is correct or rather what the majority of people want.
A lot of these polarizing opinions also seem to squash any hope of a conversation that will lead to change because either people arent willing to speak for fear of being attacked because they arent quite sure how to say what they believe or people wont listen because they believe things should only be done one way. I saw so many posts that very plainly put, were in the form of "us vs. them" and I dont think that helps.

And you are not alone.

Without taking any sides here but stating what is obvious if we stop, look and listen . Many will attempt to hijack "todays" issue, whatever that issue is and make it there own. It doesn't take much to change a word or two or even a sentence or two and suddenly what your hearing is what someone wanted you to hear ( and believe ) but is not what was initially said, or done. This is not like the old game "telephone", this is much more calculated and in some cases dangerous.

And it has been going on for a long time. Christians vs Jews. Black vs White. Man vs Female. Democrat vs Republican. Cowboy vs Indian. Hunters vs Non-hunters. City vs Country. Country vs country. People seeking "POWER" will actually view an issue as an opportunity to gain more power in one way or another. IMHO way to many times and way to many people believe that the end justifies the means.

2020 has been a tough year and it has created division's, but at least IMHO not irreparable division's, at least I hope not. I might add that as bad as 2020 seems, other years in my past seemed pretty bad as well. World War II, Korea, Viet Nam, Dessert Storm, Aids, and plenty of financial hiccups as well. I cried on 9/11 ---- I believe we will come through this stronger. I refuse to believe otherwise.

I may be naive . In fact I have been told I am. But the men and women on this forum, and the group that discussed and dissected this issue with me a week ago, is proof that most of us can work together and will!

If someone will give me a hand I will get off my soap box now.

JLS. I just saw your post on the same subject . I type so slow, I started this post before you made that post. I agree

Last edited:
You are never going to rid the country of that, ever. That is true of every skin color available in the US. And the black folks who oppose this mentality, they are sworn off as Uncle Tom's. Coincidently, Larry Elder has documentary of the same name coming out soon.
No, it will never absolutely be eliminated. Doesn’t mean we can’t try.

No it will never fully elminated from man's hearts, similarly we never wholly stamp out ignorance. However that fact should never stop us from trying educate as well never tolerating discrimination.

Justin Amash has gotten a lot right lately. (Remember how both sides were enraged at him for wanting a little accountability on the vote for Covid corporate welfare bailout?)

Although they are opposite of me on public land, I’ve long agreed with the libertarian leaning republicans such as Rand Paul and Justin Amash on many issues. Drug war, gay marriage, prisons reform, criminal justice, etc have all been a major part of who they are and what they stand for, for a long time.
Unfortunately, mainstream R politicians have been pretending racism doesn’t exist and D just nominated someone that built his political career as a 36 year senator implementing law and policy that have imprisoned a generation of young black men.
Solutions to this aren’t going to come from mainstream politicians that currently hold power, because they are the problem and they benefit by not solving it.

I realize a ‘real’ libertarian would be all in on defunding the police, but I fail to see how the more extreme calls to literally dismantle a PD could be helpful.

There are people out there unable or unwilling to protect themselves that need police.
The rest of us that would/could take action ourselves before dialing 911 if we were physically threatened still need police for civil matters, such as determination of fault for insurance claims.

I’ve called them twice at work in the last year to help our guys secure a scene where hot, live power lines were on the ground.

I don't know if it's from living in a diverse state or the people I'm around (mostly minorities) but the systemic racism thing seems to be a regional issue in our country. Where I live is very blue collar, it's about 50% white, 40% Hispanic and 5% each of black and various Asian ethnicities. I work in the ag industry where other than the actual farmers just about everyone is Mexican and a few black guys. I also have family members who are minorities ethnically, when I talk to them about racism most of them laugh at me saying it's not what people make it out to be. From their point of view this is what I've gotten from them....

Are there racist people, absolutely. Are there people in positions of power who look down on minorities of course. Does it make the entire system racist.... now that's painting with a very broad brush.

Many of these guys grew up in rough upbringings and told me that most of the arrests and issues with authorities are brought on from their own doing. Everyday on the local news there are shootings and murders and just about everytime it is gang related. Our jails/local prisons are occupied by mostly minorities, the local gangs are all minority based. Is that because the local cops are racist (many of which are Hispanic) or is it because these guys grew up not respecting humanity, many had fatherless homes and got into drugs?

What that cop did was horrible and needs to pay severe consequences. But I don't see what he did was any more racist than if a black cop did the same thing to a white guy.

The posts from the people to the guy that wrote the article was despicable. It's a bad representation of outdoorsmen that I think most of us would agree isn't the norm. I'm not discounting the fact that he has dealt with racist jerks when fishing but I don't think it can be concluded that all people who fish are racist.

I'm not trying to be the one to throw a different perspective in this thread and cause arguments. The conclusion I think we all have is no matter what race we are all human and all deserve he same respect whether from authority or anyone else. There may be pockets of racism in this country but the white privilege thing has really gotten old.... The fact that we live in America is a privilege, that we are physically able to get up and go to work is a privilege, that we had people of all races die for this country is a privilege. We might not all get to start from the same point but we all have the same opportunities to work your butt of and make something of yourself.

No it will never fully elminated from man's hearts, similarly we never wholly stamp out ignorance. However that fact should never stop us from trying educate as well never tolerating discrimination.
Which is why I cited Mr. Elder. He's got some great material to learn from.

The problem I'm having with all of the things happening is that if someone expresses thoughts that do not align perfectly with the values of others you are racially suspect. mtmuley

This is a problem, and a point of friction for me personally. It’s why I mentioned the requirement of so many that you speak the specific incantations being a bad thing. We live in a world of purity tests.

I know it is important for me to listen. But I also feel that when talking about the directions our country may take moving forward, we cannot abandon the ideal that arguments live and die based on their cogency, and that the most fundamental thing about you or I is not the demographic groups to which we belong. I see a tendency to the opposite during this time of change appearing to have momentum, but also hesitate to speak to the contrary at the risk of apoplectic internet rage.

It is a balance and fine line to speak up when you deem it appropriate but still respect perspectives that don’t belong to you. Maybe it’s too early, but things sure seem to be happening fast.

Lest you be called a Karen.😉

I saw this thread earlier today on improving policing and thought it was interesting.

Our jails/local prisons are occupied by mostly minorities, the local gangs are all minority based. Is that because the local cops are racist (many of which are Hispanic) or is it because these guys grew up not respecting humanity, many had fatherless homes and got into drugs?

A good number of people are incarcerated on simple marijuana possession charges. Possessing a substance, especially something as benign as MJ has nothing to do with disrespecting humanity. Furthermore, in regards to MJ, minorities are disproportionately arrested for possession relative to the statistics on usage. Now think about how far reaching the consequences a simple arrest can have, not only on an individual but for whole communities. The following article is a must read and its high time for those of us encapsulated in our bubble to recognize what the world is like for those outside of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back