Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

2021 New Mexico results

My bonus points just jumped up 1. Looks like no tag for me...
tenor.gif

So 5 more days till we’re all disappointed 😢
Matt
Sadly, you’re probably right. :(

WY and AZ used to remove quite a few hunters from the pool before NM apps were due. WY has now figured out how to make sure they still get everyone’s application fee before they draw a tag anywhere else, but not let you know if you’ve drawn till later...That change meant that 7250 more traveling elk hunters did not yet have a tag on the NM deadline than in previous years. Then the AZ disaster... I would expect a SERIOUS drop in draw odds, which were already declining. :(

I may finally have to become familiar with CO.

WY and AZ used to remove quite a few hunters from the pool before NM apps were due. WY has now figured out how to make sure they still get everyone’s application fee before they draw a tag anywhere else, but not let you know if you’ve drawn till later...That change meant that 7250 more traveling elk hunters did not yet have a tag on the NM deadline than in previous years. Then the AZ disaster... I would expect a SERIOUS drop in draw odds, which were already declining. :(

In past years before WY changed the elk draw the results would be out by late February and I think more people would jump into NM after those results.
Another thing is the number of NM applications increased this year but the number of applicants wasn’t a huge increase.
My personal opinion is that many of us now apply for multi species or more than previous years in NM due to the fact of having to buy a license now to apply. Stretch the license fee out over more apps now. At least for me that’s how I view it.

Last edited:
In pasts year before WY changed the elk draw the results would be out by late February and I think more people would jump into NM after those results.
Another thing is the number of NM applications increased this year but the number of applicants wasn’t a huge increase.
My personal opinion is that many of us now apply for multi species or more than previous years in NM due to the fact of having to buy a license now to apply. Stretch the license fee out over more apps now. At least for me that’s how I view it.
There was still an increase in total applicants. The fact that it wasn’t a 1 to 1 increase in applicants and applications only indicates that some of them applied for more than one species.

For people who apply in WY, AZ and NM, most of them would only hunt one elk tag per year. In years past, about 8125 non-resident elk tags would have been given out prior to the NM draw deadline. No, not everyone who drew one would apply in NM if they hadn’t drawn, but a meaningful number of them would. Pushing the results from both of those states past the NM deadline, definitely caused people to apply in NM who would not have if they knew they already had a tag.

There was still an increase in total applicants. The fact that it wasn’t a 1 to 1 increase in applicants and applications only indicates that some of them applied for more than one species.

For people who apply in WY, AZ and NM, most of them would only hunt one elk tag per year. In years past, about 8125 non-resident elk tags would have been given out prior to the NM draw deadline. No, not everyone who drew one would apply in NM if they hadn’t drawn, but a meaningful number of them would. Pushing the results from both of those states past the NM deadline, definitely caused people to apply in NM who would not have if they knew they already had a tag.
Don’t forget you can also withdrawl from the WY draw until May.
Also Social media is one aspect that I feel has greatly affected draw odds especially in recent years.

Don’t forget you can also withdrawl from the WY draw until May.
Also Social media is one aspect that I feel has greatly affected draw odds especially in recent years.
That’s exactly why the change in WY increased applicants to NM. You don’t have your WY tag yet, and you’re not commit there. Back when you committed in Jan, and had results before Mar, 7250 people already had an elk tag in WY before the NM app.

That was not the reason for the change WY made...

That’s exactly why the change in WY increased applicants to NM. You don’t have your WY tag yet, and you’re not commit there. Back when you committed in Jan, and had results before Mar, 7250 people already had an elk tag in WY before the NM app.
I still highly doubt that 7250 extra people who applied for WY just automatically applied for NM due to the change in draw dates in WY. I’m sure some did but many people only apply for 1 hunt/state a year also.

I still highly doubt that 7250 extra people who applied for WY just automatically applied for NM due to the change in draw dates in WY. I’m sure some did but many people only apply for 1 hunt/state a year also.
I never said that all of them did, however, when you’re talking about non-resident hunters(the only ones getting those 7250 tags...or about 875 in AZ), then you’re talking about people who are willing to travel, and willing to pay non-resident prices. Of those people, a high percentage apply in more than one state. I sure do. Last year about 22,500 NRs applied for elk in NM(if you assume that most outfitted hunters are NRs). A high percentage apply in more than one state, and a high percentage are not going to hunt more than one out of state elk tag in a single season. Changing the WY results date to be after the NM application deadline absolutely impacted how many people applied in NM on a given year.

I always apply in NM. Last year I drew an AZ elk tag. Guess what...last year I left elk off of my NM app.

This year when AZ had their poop show, we had multiple people on this forum openly claim that they were reluctantly going to apply in NM just in case they didn’t draw in AZ. Normally, they would apply in NM if they knew the hadn’t drawn AZ, but if they had drawn AZ, they would stay out. The same was true of WY.

I never said that all of them did, however, when you’re talking about non-resident hunters(the only ones getting those 7250 tags...or about 875 in AZ), then you’re talking about people who are willing to travel, and willing to pay non-resident prices. Of those people, a high percentage apply in more than one state. I sure do. Last year about 22,500 NRs applied for elk in NM(if you assume that most outfitted hunters are NRs). A high percentage apply in more than one state, and a high percentage are not going to hunt more than one out of state elk tag in a single season. Changing the WY results date to be after the NM application deadline absolutely impacted how many people applied in NM on a given year.

I always apply in NM. Last year I drew an AZ elk tag. Guess what...last year I left elk off of my NM app.

This year when AZ had their poop show, we had multiple people on this forum openly claim that they were reluctantly going to apply in NM just in case they didn’t draw in AZ. Normally, they would apply in NM if they knew the hadn’t drawn AZ, but if they had drawn AZ, they would stay out. The same was true of WY.

I agree that the WY change a few years ago added more NM apps but the increase this year was more than likely AZ and their ridiculous draw but also just a general increase in applications total. MT and Colorado also posted record numbers as well. I’d be inclined to think it was due to stimulus funds for a lot of people also.

I agree that the WY change a few years ago added more NM apps but the increase this year was more than likely AZ and their ridiculous draw but also just a general increase in applications total. MT and Colorado also posted record numbers as well. I’d be inclined to think it was due to stimulus funds for a lot of people also.
There are more people in most states in most years than previous years.

WY’s change left 7250 more traveling hunters still looking for tags at the AZ, MT, NM, and CO deadlines than before the change. UT and NV aren’t that important in this context because guys applying there are just going to deal with conflict if they ever draw a tag.

AZ’s debacle this year had an impact no doubt, but it’s going to be smaller than the WY impact. AZ hands out under 900 NR tags, and applying in both leaves you open to significant conflict. In WY, you can change your app, and avoid conflict.

Yes, stimulus checks probably increased applications considerably.

Back