Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2021 New Mexico results

I was thinking that they weren’t early the last two years, but after checking my emails, it looks like they were in fact one week early for at least the last four years.

Changing my prediction to the 21st. I’ll be checking my email tomorrow morning anyway.

Last edited:
this shouldn't really affect it thought right?

in my head, doin the draw is basically a few clicks of a mouse to run some iterations and spit things onto the website and auto e-mail folks

ah if it was truly so simple though colorado's system wouldn't nearly set the servers on fire every year
Straight lottery with 223,000 apps versus pref points/pref + bonus and 685,000 to be fair.

Straight lottery with 223,000 apps versus pref points/pref + bonus and 685,000 to be fair.
Yeah CO has to do a random drawing for every hunt code where the number of applicants with the same number of preference points exceeds the number tags remaining. There are multiple extra operations to the CO draw compared to NM.

Yeah CO has to do a random drawing for every hunt code where the number of applicants with the same number of preference points exceeds the number tags remaining. There are multiple extra operations to the CO draw compared to NM.

so yeah, like, one click of the mouse, but 10x the computing time

right? ;)

right? ;)
This is my understanding not necessarily facts.

NM ranks every application, then they go from 1 to 80,000 or whatever. They look at your first three choices and if a tag is available you get it. So if your number ranked number 1 then you automatically get your 1st choice, if your number 500 and your first choice is taken, but there are some tags for your second choice left you get those. The R-N-Guide allocation happens at the quota level. Groups are assigned 1 application number.

CO has 615 elk codes, so essentially there are 615 mini draws in the first round. CO takes each hunt code, allocates tags at each point level until they get to a point level where their aren't enough tags left to give everyone at that level a tag. Then they run a draw for that point pool. They do this for every single code. For both residents and Non-residents, After all of the 1st choice draws are complete then they take the hunt codes that had more quota than 1st choice applicants, for these units they do a secondary draw similar to the first... then a third... then a fourth. This same process occurs again for youth for Resident and NR. The number of actual draws that take place is based on applications... but reasonably it's probably like 1500-2000 for elk.

So yes one click of the mouse, but way more calculations. I imagine the NM script is pretty simple... the CO one is probably insane. I left out the different quota split based on units and all the weird one off rules.

Given all that it makes sense that each species takes a day versus NM doing their entire draw at once.

Interesting fact CO did their first computerized draw in 1975.

Last edited:
After the draw they do some kind of "audit" before the results are posted, and that can require some manpower. But I'm nearly certain the offices were closed this time last year and they still got it out 1 week early I think. 2 weeks early would be great but I think that's wishful thinking.
G&F has given me an early Bday present the last 4 years so I'm hopefull.
Or I can change my name to Karen & whine. LOL

NM ranks every application, then they go from 1 to 223,000 or whatever. They look at your first three choices and if a tag is available you get it. So if your number ranked number 1 then you automatically get your 1st choice, if your number 500 and your first choice is taken, but there are some tags for your second choice left you get those. The R-N-Guide allocation happens at the quota level. Groups are assigned 1 application number.

are they not ranked by species?

i figured all deer apps got ranked, all elk apps got ranked, etc. and it sorta was a species by species draw.

i figured all deer apps got ranked, all elk apps got ranked, etc. and it sorta was a species by species draw.
Yes exactly, sorry this was just looking at elk for both states. So New Mexico does 10 different rankings/draws.

right? ;)
Depends on how much they check on and do manually. Nonetheless, from the outside in, I don’t know why it isn’t complete 24hrs after the deadline unless it’s related to payment processing or legal hoops.

While the code is probably 10X more complicated for CO than NM, I would think it’s still pretty simple code.

Last edited:
I wish. Sorta reminds me of that Yogi Berra quote about a Manhattan restaurant: “Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.”
I hope that's the case. I've been applying for the same tags since 2014 and still haven't drawn a tag. Hoping this is my year to chase NM speed goats!

Draw is one application at a time. When your number comes up they go thru all species you applied for then move to next number.
Or that was how it was explained to me by G&F folks.

Draw is one application at a time. When your number comes up they go thru all species you applied for then move to next number.
Or that was how it was explained to me by G&F folks.
Incorrect.

Applications are in a different order for each species. If they viewed applications as a whole, then the first applicant viewed would draw a first choice tag for every species he/she applied for.

Its a nice fantasy though...explaining to the wife that I drew the statewide elk tag, statewide deer tag, on range oryx, Ibex, and a bighorn sheep. :)

Last edited:
Incorrect.

Applications are in a different order for each species. If they viewed applications as a whole, then the first applicant viewed would draw a first choice tag for every species he/she applied for.

Its a nice fantasy though...explaining to the wife that I drew the statewide elk tag, statewide deer tag, on range oryx, Ibex, and a bighorn sheep. :)
OK, it goes by species. You only get one number assigned. They are all random in order.
You could draw all those 1st place choices,but odds are against it.

I've only drawn a 1st choice once in 25 years for deer or elk. But I've drawn more often than not. Luck.
Pretty sure I'll be happy by the end of the month.

OK, it goes by species. You only get one number assigned. They are all random in order.

I've only drawn a 1st choice once in 25 years for deer or elk. But I've drawn more often than not. Luck.
In 7 seasons I’ve also only drawn 1 of my first options, but a whole crap load of tags overall!
I’m expecting to be happy too here soon.

You get one random number PER species.

I’ve drawn three first choices in NM and one in AZ, BUT my first choice is usually easier to draw than most people’s first choices.

Again, if your random number was the same for every species. The highest random number would draw
first choice for every species on his app. I drew a 2.4% lope tag last year, but my missed a 20% first choice deer tag and drew my second choice. The year before I drew an 11% elk tag, but missed my first and second choice deer tags. Of course it’s possible to draw all of those tags in a single year, but you would have to win the lottery five times rather than a single time. If only one random number were assigned per person, then EVERY YEAR, the person with the lowest number would draw his first choice for every species on his app.

Because you get a different random number for every species, if your first choice was 1%, for five species, your odds of drawing your first choice on all five would be 1 in 10,000,000,000.

Last edited:
You get one random number PER species.

I’ve drawn three first choices in NM and one in AZ, BUT my first choice is usually easier to draw than most people’s first choices.

Again, if your random number was the same for every species. The highest random number would draw
first choice for every species on his app. I drew a 2.4% lope tag last year, but my missed a 20% first choice deer tag and drew my second choice. The year before I drew an 11% elk tag, but missed my first and second choice deer tags. Of course it’s possible to draw all of those tags in a single year, but you would have to win the lottery five times rather than a single time. If only one random number were assigned per person, then EVERY YEAR, the person with the lowest number would draw his first choice for every species on his app.
I think part of the problem understanding the processes for each state is ambiguous terminology. CPW for instance will call each species you put in for an application, so I put in 7 applications for CO this year. They will also call collectively applying for everything with one credit card transaction my ‘application’.

Im pretty sure it’s each species in NM because when you do a group app you have to pass your party members an application number, which I assume is your single app number that gets ranked for the group. You can then apply singly for a different species, or with a different group of individuals for a different species. There is no way my group deer app with Bill would influence my elk app with Sarah.

I think part of the problem understanding the processes for each state is ambiguous terminology. CPW for instance will call each species you put in for an application, so I put in 7 applications for CO this year. They will also call collectively applying for everything with one credit card transaction my ‘application’.

Im pretty sure it’s each species in NM because when you do a group app you have to pass your party members an application number, which I assume is your single app number that gets ranked for the group. You can then apply singly for a different species, or with a different group of individuals for a different species. There is no way my group deer app with Bill would influence my elk app with Sarah.
There are numerous reasons that NM draw results and application rules make it logically impossible for each individual to receive one random number regardless of how many species are on his application.

EACH SPECIES ON YOUR APP GETS GETS ITS OWN RANDOM NUMBER

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back