2021 New Mexico results

OK I don't know what I'm talking about. It's a sequence number each applicant is assigned.......each application is seperate.

Never applied for a 1st rifle in the Gila either,odds against it.

Last edited:
I saw a post on another forum from a NMGFD employee (widely known that he works there) where he said that there were (again) a record number of applications this year. For the 2020 draw there were around 220,649 applications, which was a record over previous years. For 2021 there are about 63,000 above that number. Also, another NMGFD employee indicated that the actual number of applicants (people applying) didn't go up significantly. Some increase, yes, but not a huge increase. This seems to support what others have said in this thread that folks are tending to throw everything at the wall and hope something sticks.

Best of luck to everyone who is in! Hopefully we've only got one more week of waiting....

I was hoping it'd be today but checking the website and CC statement, seems like it'll be next Wednesday. Anxiously awaiting!

This is my understanding not necessarily facts.

NM ranks every application, then they go from 1 to 80,000 or whatever. They look at your first three choices and if a tag is available you get it. So if your number ranked number 1 then you automatically get your 1st choice, if your number 500 and your first choice is taken, but there are some tags for your second choice left you get those. The R-N-Guide allocation happens at the quota level. Groups are assigned 1 application number.

CO has 615 elk codes, so essentially there are 615 mini draws in the first round. CO takes each hunt code, allocates tags at each point level until they get to a point level where their aren't enough tags left to give everyone at that level a tag. Then they run a draw for that point pool. They do this for every single code. For both residents and Non-residents, After all of the 1st choice draws are complete then they take the hunt codes that had more quota than 1st choice applicants, for these units they do a secondary draw similar to the first... then a third... then a fourth. This same process occurs again for youth for Resident and NR. The number of actual draws that take place is based on applications... but reasonably it's probably like 1500-2000 for elk.

So yes one click of the mouse, but way more calculations. I imagine the NM script is pretty simple... the CO one is probably insane. I left out the different quota split based on units and all the weird one off rules.

Given all that it makes sense that each species takes a day versus NM doing their entire draw at once.

Interesting fact CO did their first computerized draw in 1975.
How is the ranking done? Are residents ranked differently than NR's? This is my first year with the process in NM and I've lived there 20+.

How is the ranking done? Are residents ranked differently than NR's? This is my first year with the process in NM and I've lived there 20+.
Every person’s application for each species is given a random number. Then all the applications for each species are placed in numerical order. Resident, non-resident, and outfitted applicants are all mixed. When they get to your application they check the availability of tags for your first choice, if one is available, you get it, if not, they check your second, and again for your third choice. Where resident, non-resident, and outfitted applications comes into play is based purely on availability, not application order. If there are 15 tags for a hunt code, 13 are reserved for residents, 1 for outfitters, and 1 for non-residents. When they get to your application, it only matters if a tag is available for your pool of tags(resident, non-resident, or outfitted...in your case resident). It’s entirely possible for you to be denied a tag because there are no tags available for your pool, while there are still tags available for another pool. Ie. if the 13 resident tags have already been given to residents who drew before you, but one of the outfitted tags is still available, it will be saved for the next outfitted applicant with that hunt as a choice. It could also go the other way. Ie. an outfitted applicant would not get a tag from the resident or non-resident pool.

Last edited:
Every person’s application for each species is given a random number. Then all the applications for each species are placed in numerical order. Resident, non-resident, and outfitted applicants are all mixed. When they get to your application they check the availability of tags for your first choice, if one is available, you get it, if not, they check your second, and again for your third choice. Where resident, non-resident, and outfitted applications comes into play is based purely on availability, not application order. If there are 15 tags for a hunt code, 13 are reserved for residents, 2 for outfitters, and 1 for non-residents. When they get to your application, it only matters if a tag is available for your pool of tags(resident, non-resident, or outfitted...in your case resident). It’s entirely possible for you to be denied a tag because there are no tags available for your pool, while there are still tags available for another pool. Ie. if the 13 resident tags have already been given to residents who drew before you, but one of the outfitted tags is still available, it will be saved for the next outfitted applicant with that hunt as a choice. It could also go the other way. Ie. an outfitted applicant would not get a tag from the resident or non-resident pool.
Everything is correct except your allocations, they changed that to remove rounding up last year. 84%+ HAVE to go to residents.

Everything is correct except your allocations, they changed that to remove rounding up last year. 84%+ HAVE to go to residents.
That was meant to include the new rounding. I screwed up. It’s just one outfitted tag. I didn’t mean to say two.

That said, the change to the rounding rules was stupid. The rule change didn’t add any tags to the resident pool, and on a lot of hunts changed nothing at all. It reduced total tags per hunt by 1 on some hunts and zero on others BUT those reduced tags were were at the NR price, which means that NMGF got a budget cut of over $200k on tag sales alone, plus a $200k cut to potential P&R funds all without adding one single resident tag.

84% OR MORE of the published allocation ALWAYS went to residents. Residents always rounded up under the old rules. The old rules would allow one additional tag(in excess of the published number) to go to NRs or outfitted applicants(which does not exclude residents by the way) if rounding up resulted in more than the published number to be issued. Ie. 15x.84=12.6=13 resident tags, 15x.1=1.5=2 outfitted tags, 15x.06=.9=1 NR tag, 13+2+1=16. Again, I didn’t mean to put 2 outfitted tags in the earlier post.

2020 antelope tags. 2019
Resident 2098 2086
Non-res. 96 149
Out. 173 184

2020 elk tags. 2019
Res. 19,849 19882
Non-res 1,022 1037
Out. 1500 1533

Last edited:
That was meant to include the new rounding. I screwed up. It’s just one outfitted tag. I didn’t mean to say two.

That said, the change to the rounding rules was stupid. The rule change didn’t add any tags to the resident pool, and on a lot of hunts changed nothing at all. It reduced total tags per hunt by 1 on some hunts and zero on others BUT those reduced tags were were at the NR price, which means that NMGF got a budget cut of over $200k on tag sales alone, plus a $200k cut to potential P&R funds all without adding one single resident tag.

84% OR MORE of the published allocation ALWAYS went to residents. Residents always rounded up under the old rules. The old rules would allow one additional tag(in excess of the published number) to go to NRs or outfitted applicants(which does not exclude residents by the way) if rounding up resulted in more than the published number to be issued. Ie. 15x.84=12.6=13 resident tags, 15x.1=1.5=2 outfitted tags, 15x.06=.9=1 NR tag, 13+2+1=16. Again, I didn’t mean to put 2 outfitted tags in the earlier post.

2020 antelope tags. 2019
Resident 2098. 2086
Non-res. 96. 149
Out. 173. 184

2020 elk tags. 2019
Res. 19,849. 19882
Non-res 1,022. 1037
Out. 1500. 1533
Agreed that it really didn't make anything better to stop the rounding up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads