Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2013 WY NonRes App Info

The new format requires a little more clicking on stuff to get through things compared to just clicking on the booklet and scrolling through it like they had in the past, but it's not too bad to follow.

Any other max point holders wondering what to pick? The more I read HF or EJ reviews the more it seems there's not much difference in elk quality between 5% and 60% draw units in Wyoming. I'm considering going with a better odds unit this year. Don't think the ROI is worth waiting any further.

Last edited:
I'm of the same opinion as you are Zim and I think if you do your homework there are plenty of units that you can draw with 3-5 PPs and take a real good bull as long as you have a decent number of days to spend in the unit.

Seems like you see a hell of a lot of units with a top end of 320/330. Well I've already got 320, 330, 340 & 350 bulls on the wall, and won't likely mount anything below these, so what's the point? Why pay an extra $50/year?

Seems like you see a hell of a lot of units with a top end of 320/330. Well I've already got 320, 330, 340 & 350 bulls on the wall, and won't likely mount anything below these, so what's the point? Why pay an extra $50/year?

I don't imagine I'd ever get tired of killing 330 bulls. I guess that's the point for me.

Zim,

Just curious...have you ever said anything positive about another States hunting in your life?

If Wyoming elk hunting sucks so bad...save your money and dont apply at all.

Crybaby.

P.S. If you dont think theres units in Wyoming that you could potentially top the bulls you already have on your wall...you suck ass at research.

I'm missing something obvious....my understanding is that if a person is drawn for antelope or elk, they can hunt during archery and if unsuccessful, during rifle season.

Where does it show the archery season dates?

With 4 points, it's time to start applying for hunts!

T Bone, you are correct....for the most part. My understanding is that for most units, the tag you get is good for the rifle season. Then you can purchase a stamp (I think about $15) to allow you to hunt archery on the same tag. I havent read the new rules this year, but thats how it was in the past.

T Bone---Unless the unit you apply for shows as A/0 (meaning archery only) your tag is only good for the gun season. However, most units allow you to buy an archery permit ($15 for resident & $30 for a NR) and that allows you to hunt the archery season that starts in August or September. If you don't tag out with your bow, you can then go back to try and fill the tag during the gun season you drew. If you go into the Hunting Regulation section for 2012 for the animal you are applying for and scroll down to the end it will list when the archery seasons were for all the units. That's how it has been in the past, but I have no idea whether the new format they started last week will be that way. The final R&Rs will not be published until late Spring anyway, but looking where I mentioned will let you know when and they seldom change from year to year.

Last edited:
I don't imagine I'd ever get tired of killing 330 bulls. I guess that's the point for me.

Or 320 or 310 or 300....which is why you will never see me with more than one point in Wyoming. :D

Last edited:
"Just curious...have you ever said anything positive about another States hunting in your life?

Absolutely - Last year alone New Hampshire moose management and treatment of nonresidents - outstanding.. And Iowa whitetail outstanding hunt - top notch management. Search Bowsite archives for last 10 years for my reviews. In addition, Nevada for elk outstanding. New Mexico elk even the lesser know units great - 330" P&Y in 2011. Arizona outstanding management for all species - Great management and treatment of nonresidents. Search MM archives many years. Do I need to go on?

"If Wyoming elk hunting sucks so bad...save your money and dont apply at all."

Please quote where I ever said Wyoming elk hunt "sucks so bad". I never said anything of the sort on any web forum in my life, much less this one. In fact everything I have read and seen has been very good. My comments were simply pointing out that there is a fairly even distribution of quality, compared to other elk states. There aren't any large mecca units let's say like Arizona with units 9 & 10. That was my only point. Some of the units there have such low NR tag numbers it takes very few add'l applicants to swing odds over 50% from year to year. Makes it tough to pick a unit.

Nice compliment mr. positive.

Bulls topping out at 320/330....laffin'.

Buzz,

Your response totally evades my comment above.

The thread is about Wyoming applications. So I comment, in my opinion, building elk points beyond 7 does not seem to have a good ROI for $50/app & add'l years of waiting. Asking what others think. What is your problem? If you don't think my question is worthy, why trash it? Why not start your own thread and post something that is constructive and positive enough for your needs?

Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
Zim---I think I understood what you were trying to say and that was that a LOT of units had that 320"-330" potential, which I think is fantastic, but you want a lot bigger because of what you have on the wall. It did sort of sound like you were complaining, when most everybody would be more than happy to take bulls like that on a regular basis. That's why I made that game farm statement since that would be about the only place you could be assured of getting a top end bull because that's basically why they exist. I agree that continuing to build PPs is sort of silly if you're trying for one or two units that have a low tag count and many applicants because even if you draw there is no assurance you'll tag a big one. That's hunting! I especially think that building PPs for deer for those few top end units is not the way to go when there are good bucks you can get to even on Regional tags. IMHO there are going to be a lot of people cashing in their PPs this year to get out of Dodge with the upcoming large license increase looming for NRs and that will make it even tougher to draw those so-called premium tags..

Back