Caribou Gear Tarp

Doom & Gloom

Bullshot

Well… not really. Things may be tough in DIY America, but perhaps not THAT tough. I’ve been thinking about what I do (or will) have rather than what I don’t (or can’t) have regarding future tags. This is not a list to gloat, or count unhatched chickens, but I have coded many of my future hunts into “almost sure to draw” to “unlikely to ever draw”. And this list is after 26 years of western hunt app/ involvement in one state or another (started with CO). I am thankful to have these options, but several have already taken a lot of time, money and patience before even stepping foot out there. The list doesn't include past or future OTC. Hopefully if you’s all do the same, even new folks starting from scratch today, there will be a lot of great hunts to look forward to rather than cry over (too much at least)!

My Almost Sure Thing Life List:
Wyoming mid tier LE elk (my 2nd)
Colorado TOP tier LE elk
Montana mid tier LE elk
WY mid tier antelope (already had a top & mid)
WY lower tier LE deer
Colorado lower tier deer (already had a top)
Colorado TOP tier antelope
SD antelope (2)
SD deer (3+)
Iowa deer
Nebraska deer
MT antelope
MT deer

My Probable List:
AZ lower tier LE elk (hope for better)
UT lower tier LE elk (hope for better)
AZ lower tier deer
UT lower tier deer (2)

Unlikely (but still a chance):
Eastern Moose
Shiras Moose
Eastern elk
Bighorn sheep
NM elk

These hunts, if drawn for my annual trip, would get me to my 70’s once you throw in OTC, raffles. Surely I’ll add a few to my to-do list here and there along the way. Once added local hunts, there remains a lot to keep busy with over the next 2-3 decades. Hope my health holds up!

Anybody else taking stock of their “big picture” instead of worrying so much about a given year?

Last edited:
Reactions: DFS
Well… not really. Things may be tough in DIY America, but perhaps not THAT tough. I’ve been thinking about what I do (or will) have rather than what I don’t (or can’t) have regarding future tags. This is not a list to gloat, or count unhatched chickens, but I have coded many of my future hunts into “almost sure to draw” to “unlikely to ever draw”. And this list is after 26 years of western hunt app/ involvement in one state or another (started with CO). I am thankful to have these options, but several have already taken a lot of time, money and patience before even stepping foot out there. The list doesn't include past or future OTC. Hopefully if you’s all do the same, even new folks starting from scratch today, there will be a lot of great hunts to look forward to rather than cry over (too much at least)!

My Almost Sure Thing Life List:
Wyoming mid tier LE elk (my 2nd)
Colorado TOP tier LE elk
Montana mid tier LE elk
WY mid tier antelope (already had a top & mid)
WY lower tier LE deer
Colorado lower tier deer (already had a top)
Colorado TOP tier antelope
SD antelope (2)
SD deer (3+)
Iowa deer
Nebraska deer
MT antelope
MT deer

My Probable List:
AZ lower tier LE elk (hope for better)
UT lower tier LE elk (hope for better)
AZ lower tier deer
UT lower tier deer (2)

Unlikely (but still a chance):
Eastern Moose
Shiras Moose
Eastern elk
Bighorn sheep
NM elk

These hunts, if drawn for my annual trip, would get me to my 70’s once you throw in OTC, raffles. Surely I’ll add a few to my to-do list here and there along the way. Once added local hunts, there remains a lot to keep busy with over the next 2-3 decades. Hope my health holds up!

Anybody else taking stock of their “big picture” instead of worrying so much about a given year?
I’m pushing 65 and was lucky to start early so I did everything on this list, except most in premium units. Only lacking is NE deer & BH sheep. But now my body resembles the Beverly Hillbillies jalopy, less one tire.

I’m pushing 65 and was lucky to start early so I did everything on this list, except most in premium units. Only lacking is NE deer & BH sheep. But now my body resembles the Beverly Hillbillies jalopy, less one tire.
well keep driving til the other 3 fall off and see how far you can get it up the hill!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back