2013 WY NonRes App Info

I never posted "I want a lot bigger". I never complained about WY elk quality. Anyone thinking that is simply making assumptions. That is not a good idea. I clearly stated this was about ROI from the get go.

I never posted "I want a lot bigger". I never complained about WY elk quality. Anyone thinking that is simply making assumptions. That is not a good idea. I clearly stated this was about ROI from the get go.

Not to put a downer on you because it doesn't really matter but think of it this way. If we all see your comment as has been stated above maybe it's not us that is wrong Just a thought
Merry Christmas

You are definitely half right........................"it doesn't really matter". So I'll try to return to my original question.

From what I have gathered, it seems building WY elk points beyond 7 does not seem to have a good ROI for $50/app & add'l years of waiting. Asking what others think.

I would equate the situation in WY to that in CO where building elk points beyond 3 or 4 does not result in a good ROI.

Last edited:
your only chance at one of the "perceived" top end units, in a reasonable length of time, is to have max points. those units are 10-30% currently. i think the roi works for them.

max - 1, you won't draw those units for maybe a decade or longer. I think the max-1 crowd fits your roi better, if those guys are only looking at those few top end units. i am max-1 and will cash in this year or next. i don't see the difference in units worth another decade of waiting, especially when it's a one off deal at my age. i can hunt a gen unit every year and have a good hunt. antler size doesn't mean much to me.

Even though the research services have listed one of my favorite Wyoming units, messing up the odds in the process, I hope people continue to follow the recommendations of these research services.. Especially the people who want those supposed "top end" units.

Last year, while antelope hunting, a guy saw us and stopped, recognizing the truck. He had arrowed a top end bull from a very "low end" unit. He wanted to show it to us. He said the taxi who did the Euro mount scored it at 365. It was perfectly symmetrical and looked to be bigger than that.

He laughed while telling the normal non-resident application strategy being heavily tied to the research services. He showed me some phone pics of his buddies, all being in that 350 category. They all hunt units that can be obtained by non-residents with no more than three points, mostly two.

I am glad to apply in those spots, drawing every couple years, while many NRs continue to hold out for those glory units. I hope I never accumulate more than three points for elk in Wyoming. Same for antelope. If I do, I have wasted chances to hunt Wyoming and the great animals that live on some of these "average to below-average" units.

But, maybe I am different. If I was promised 320 bulls every year in exchange for never shooting a 350 bull, I would take that in a heart beat. I love those 320" leftovers.

Amen BigFin! That's exactly my philosophy and what I was trying to get across. That 357 3/8" bull in my avatar was taken two years ago by my Wyoming buddy and he draws the LQ unit we hunt in almost every year and takes a good bull along with NR friends who draw a tag every few years.

Last edited:
Very good. That is what I was looking for. In 2011 I was able to take a 330" in a NM unit that didn't even make HF's "Best of the Rest" page. No listing at all! But I know it very well as I used to hunt there in the 90's when it was darn near a 100% draw unit.

I have two PP now and dont plan on applying for any of the highly coveted units. What do you guys in the know recommend for the two to three PP range, I would like to burn them this year or next but have never hunted elk in Wyoming just deer and goats. PM if you have any advice, I would appreciate the help.

I have a question for any WY experts on NR tags. I might be looking to hunt WY in '13. are there any units a NR w/0 pts can get an elk and mule deer tag during the same season/dates? I can do bow, rifle, or muzzleloader but would like to get both tags on the same hunt. I plan on doing this in CO but if I can do it in WY too that'd be great.

I am glad to apply in those spots, drawing every couple years, while many NRs continue to hold out for those glory units. I hope I never accumulate more than three points for elk in Wyoming. Same for antelope. If I do, I have wasted chances to hunt Wyoming and the great animals that live on some of these "average to below-average" units.

How about putting in for "glory units" knowing in a few years a tag is coming, in the mean time scouting those units to be very prepared when the "glory tag" does arrive?

I'm eager to burn my points for both elk & lope because it will be the last time I wait for a better tag. After that I will also strictly be hunting 3/4 point units.

OK guys I have 7 deer points (max) in WY. What's your suggestions for me? I'm wanting to cash them in this or next year and get back to hunting areas I know that don't need but 2 or three points. I would also like to hunt in the northern part of the state so I can drive there for weekend hunts. You can PM your suggestions if you wish. thanks for the input.

OK guys I have 7 deer points (max) in WY. What's your suggestions for me? I'm wanting to cash them in this or next year and get back to hunting areas I know.

I found time this p.m. to look at Eastman's research. I'm thinking about area 90 as first choice (probably high price to get it over with) and one of the general areas for second. Feedback? Anyone hunt are 90 in WY?

Good luck getting one of the few tags in 90 as it was only a 17% chance of drawing in the regular and 20% in the special draw last year with max PPs. It could get even worse this year with guys cashing in their PPs before the fee increase in 2014.

Drat! Back to the drawing board. I did not read the % correctly in Eastman's spreadsheets.

If you are applying for elk in Wyoming, this is your reminder to make sure you have completed your application by January 31st, this Thursday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back