2011 AZ Coues Deer (pics)

BOHNTR

Well, after 25+ consecutive years of chasing mule deer in August, I was prepared to hike into a wilderness in CO to make my annual quest. However, after a buddy of mine scouted the bowls I was going to hunt, he only saw a handful of bucks, with the biggest somewhere in the low 160’s. I wasn’t sure I wanted to back-pack in alone for 10 days with the opportunity to arrow a 160” class buck. Now don’t get me wrong, that’s a nice archery buck, but I have a few in that class and if that’s the biggest in the bowls……well, it just didn’t get me too excited.

I’ve never dedicated a bowhunt for Coues deer and have always wanted to try for one. I’ve heard they are extremely difficult to get with a bow and arrow, so I decided to turn in my CO tag for a refund and chase some velvet clad Coues bucks since I already had a tag left over from my January hunt.

I contacted a buddy from Arizona (I know from P&Y) and he was up for my challenge. So about two weeks ago Steven and I headed into the desert mountains of S/E Arizona in search of the gray ghost. I wasn’t going to be too picky on this hunt, as I really wanted to match wits with this specie of deer and get one. If I was to take a P&Y caliber buck (just raised to 70" from 65") than it would just be icing on the cake.

The first few days were HOT (low 90's)……even at 5000’ elevation. I saw lots of deer a day (30-50) and a couple of dandies. What I didn’t realize, was these deer in this region don’t shed their velvet until late September, so they were still growing. With that in mind, I glassed up a GIANT buck late one evening that didn’t afford time for a stalk. This buck, once finished, may push the 120” mark (5x5), which is well above the B&C minimum of 110”. Here’s a photo of him taken through my spotting scope:

live1.jpg

Live2.jpg

After four days of chasing these deer and two blown stalks……one of which I missed a pretty good buck (mid 90's) but arrowed a perfectly placed unseen oak tree twig. :) I was ready for some “BOHNTR luck”. I must say, these deer are TOUGH to bowhunt in August. I’ve never seen a more alert, skittish, elusive, and living on springs, type of deer. They definitely tested my bowhunting wits several times.

On the fifth morning, this buck gave me a 24 yard opportunity, quartering away. At the shot, the buck spun quickly and the arrow entered the rear hind quarter, breaking his femur, entering his chest cavity, and stopping on his opposite side shoulder. He went about 100 yards and was down.

My long quest to take a Coues buck with my bow was over…..not a big one mind you (65 3/8” as is), but a nice representative that I’m happy with. He really had some growing to do, and Steven guessed he’d be about an 80” 4x4 (counting browtines) once completed… …either way, a beautiful deer in my opinion. I also came away with some trophy chigger bites.....109 total. Nobody ever told me that had those darn things live in Arizona! Hope you enjoy and thanks for reading.

P1030269.jpg

Packing him out in one load......I like how small they are. :hump:

P1030273.jpg

Great buck and field shots....way to go.

I also sent back my CO deer tag today, but for different reasons.

Great job, Roy, and excellent field photos as usual. The one that got away is a monster.

Great story and great pics. And a great deer. Normal for you. Congrats on taking what has to be one of archery's greatest trophies.

Really cool hunt, thanks for the pictures.
Doing a shoulder mount?

Congrats on an incredible accomplishment with a bow! Great photos and a great buck to boot. I'm hoping to add one of those to my wall this fall as well.

Great pics and story! I chased them for a week in 2001 with a bow and will definitely be giving that a try again.

I also sent back my CO deer tag today, but for different reasons.
Hope it's noting too serious...

Doing a shoulder mount?

No shoulder mount....just injecting the antlers and probably put them to use for measuring courses. I'll save a shoulder mount for one that just gets my blood pumping. :)

Torn meniscus.

Man Craig....that's not good. Hopefully they get that fixed up for you. Sucks getting older, huh?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back