MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

1st Antelope Nevada 2011

huntbux

This year I got my 1st ever Antelope in Nevada 041-042. I only had 3 days to hunt and was only able to get out to scout for one day due to time constraints because of work. I was lucky enough to have my wife and my father along for the hunt and was able to harvest on the second day. Day 1 we saw a total of about 15 legal bucks and at least 80-100 antelope. We saw the buck I eventually harvested early in the morning around 7am. My wife spotted him about 300yds away from the truck as we were driving to another area. He was the 3rd buck we had seen and was very skittish and we were not able to get a very good look at him other than he had a decent heart shape and looked to have a good curl. He was all alone and in a small area of rolling hills and there was only one water source nearby so we figured we could find him later on if we did not see anything bigger. we put 150 miles on the tires that day checking out other country looking for more goats and finding places that there were no other hunters. We saw one other possible shooter which looked to be about 14 tall with his prongs right at the very top of his horns right before they curled back however, he was very far away and we could not tell much about him other than that and he walked over a hill not to be seen again. We then traveled back to where we had seen the buck earlier that morning and went hiking up to where he had been to see if we could locate him and get a better look. We found him in the bottom of the canyon and about 1000yds away. He was headed up the canyon that we were sitting in. He looked long and had great bases he was a little short on the prongs but looked to be the largest buck for sure we had seen all day. We made it within 400yds of the buck however he took off as we were getting set up for the shot. That night I decided that if he was at the water hole the next morning that I would take him.
We got up early the next morning and got into position to watch the water hole in the area. The day before we had seen about 20 - 30 antelope come into the water hole in the first 30 minutes of shooting light. Nothing this morning. We were just getting ready to leave to go check some other areas when I spotted a lone antelope coming off the ridge down towards the water hole. One look through the spotting scope and we could tell it was the same buck from the night before. We snuck within 200yds of the water hole and set up in a small rock pile. The buck was just within 40yds of the water hole when we finished getting set up and the camera into position. He spotted us up on the ridge but didn't seem to mind that we were there or may have not really known what we were. He started heading closer to the water but then abruptly stopped and started to leave. I didn't hesitate as soon as he stopped to look back at the water hole 1 shot at about 200 - 220 yds dropped him in his tracks. My antelope hunt was over, the best part was that the wife and my dad were there to share the whole trip with me. I want to thank them both for coming out and sharing my first antelope hunt with me. The buck has 6 1/2 inch bases and was 15 1/4 tall his prongs are around 3 1/2 and no matter what the score is I am happy with him and had a great time on the hunt no matter the size of that antelope.

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

Congrats on a dandy, looks like fun was had with the family as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back