PEAX Equipment

youth gun

choc dogs

Since deer are now under his belt, Logan wants to hunt elk. I know a well placed 243 with well constructed bullets at reasonable ranges is adequate, I'm looking for an excuse to buy a gun. Kid is 12, but small, 75 lbs or so. I've got components for both, and assuming I'm loading both with 140 grain partitions, 260 or 7mm-08, and why?

I have been shopping for a gun for my daughter. After a lot of research, I have pretty much come to the conclusion that a Weatherby or a Howa in 7-08 is about as good as it gets, followed closely by a .308.

Of course, I'm factoring in a smaller and lighter gun for a female. The Weatherby Vanguard has a lot of bang for the buck, and is a very good quality firearm.

That's about the size I was when I was 12. Started with a 30-06 that my dad had the stock cut down on. It kicked like a mule but never noticed it when I was shooting at hair

7mm-08 has a pretty strong following around here. Manageable recoil and good bullet selection make it a great choice. You'll enjoy shooting it after he turns 18 and decides he has to have a .300 Win Mag.

7mm-08 has a pretty strong following around here. Manageable recoil and good bullet selection make it a great choice. You'll enjoy shooting it after he turns 18 and decides he has to have a .300 Win Mag.

....then after ten years of lugging around a heavy rifle and suffering from the recoil, he'll get the 7-08 back out and realize that it's all he really needed. :)

+1 on Howa or Weatherby Vanguard in 7-08 or .308 win. Son has a Vanguard in .308 win. and at 18 he still loves it. He was around your sons size when he was 12 so I simply loaded a lighter bullet and load until he became accustom to shooting a hotter load. If you reload you can't miss with either cartridge.

If he's comfortable with the 243, just have it rebarreled. It'd be cheaper than a whole new gun and probably have a better barrel than the new one.

There's not a lick of difference between the 7-08 and 260 with 140gr bullets, so just pick one.

The Weatherby Vanguard is very hard to beat for the price. Of the calibers you mentioned I would add the 270 and 280 into the discussion. My son is now 14 and wanted to move up from his 25-06 (Weatherby Vanguard) for the same reason you mentioned. I had planned on a Vanguard in 308 until my dad decided he wanted to give my son his 270. So now both my son and I will be shooting 270's. My dad and I have taken many elk over the years with 270's. Just like most calibers, good bullet choice with well placed shot at reasonable range.

If he's comfortable with the 243, just have it rebarreled. It'd be cheaper than a whole new gun and probably have a better barrel than the new one.

There's not a lick of difference between the 7-08 and 260 with 140gr bullets, so just pick one.

This is true but then there is no excuse to buy another rifle, and I'm sure we all know you can't have too many firearms.

1 pointer, now there you go using logic and sound reasoning to ruin all the fun. :D

Obviously, folks that reload have a LOT of flexibility when it comes to chamberings. A 30-06 and a can of H4895 is a fabulous combination for young shooters. You'll be hard pressed to find a more versatile pairing.

Heck, if he's comfortable with the 243...load some partitions for it and rock on. For something new pointer has it right, 260 or 7-08, pick one.

You might think of buying a adult sized rifle with a 22" barrel and then buy a cheap wood stock to chop down for him to shoot with until he grows a few inches. He hits a growth spurt and he might need a full sized rifle pretty quick, and you can then just mount it back in the original stock and you won't be left with the short barrel.

In 2008 when I worked at Sportsmans Warehouse in Helena The Youth Vanguard came with 2 stocks the youth version and a standard for when the youth grew out of the youth model. I'm not sure if that option is still available but it was a good idea.
At 12 my Nephew used my Daughters Model 7 youth in 243 to get his first buck. A 100 grain core lock did the job. He then bought a Ruger MKII in 7-08 at 13. He got the laminated stock stainless version. I took him hunting and he scored on a nice cow at 220 yds with Federal Fusion 140 grain. It was a double lung broadside shot with complete penetration. She went about 40 yards and piled up. I was one proud Uncle.
From what I've seen the 7-08 is a good all around caliber for Youth, Ladies and Guys. It comes in a huge variety of makes and models and can be in a light weight rifle or a heavy barrel. Choices are unlimited. When you look at the ballistic charts it boils down to what trips YOUR trigger and only Yours.
Dan

Yeah, I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to pipe in with the "30/06, do anything/everything for everbody" mantra.

I'll not demean a 260, but if you think 7mm/08 ammo is limited, start looking for 260 at the local Wally World. Brass is harder to find and more $$ also, if you reload.

I shot a 7mm/08, and I like it, a lot. And you should get one for your son because I said so.

I'd get a nice compact 7mm-08. Something with a 20" barrel and maybe smaller LOP for him. Would also be a good choice for deer in thick woods. Since you're reloading, I'd go with 140 grain Barnes bullets, but Partitons are probably just as good, and any elk will go plop.

I'm with everyone else, no practical difference between the two calibers, a tiny bit better ballistics I n the 6.5 bullets, a tiny bit faster in the 7. I'm wanting to get a rifle for Logan to use because I'm having a problem in making a perceived need for myself, and at least this way I can lie to myself and say it's bigger than his 243. Hell, if all I wanted was something with heavier bullets, the 6.5 and 7mm mausers in the safe have been doing the same things for the last 100+ years as the 308 based cartridges that are so popular today. Gunner, thanks for sending along a reason, I'm leaning 7-08 currently, partly because of loaded ammo availability in his future, when he doesn't live with me, but mostly because you said so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back