Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming Corner Crossing Defense Fund

Here's a thread detailing the discussion of the incident Buzz mentioned, complete with commentary by the high flyer.

Here's a thread detailing the discussion of the incident Buzz mentioned, complete with commentary by the high flyer.

In Oregon we've been through the courts to determine that ODFW cannot regulate possession of firearms, so the presence of a firearm in a pickup could not be used to establish the action or intention of hunting. I can see criminal trespass in the story, but I can't quite wrap my mind around there being a hunting/wildlife violation. Is Oregon different from Wyoming?

QQ

Bill currently in the pipeline. In my uneducated opinion, this would make it illegal to corner-cross and enable wardens to cite hunters: https://www.wyoleg.gov/Legislation/2022/HB0103
Some folks previously cited state legislature responses as a reason not to push this issue. Even if this bill were more clear about explicitly addressing corner-crossing...I say keep the pedal down BHA...vagueness is not the friend of the public land hunter on this issue...and politically it will be a long-term loser trying to keep public off public lands.

There wasn't a hunting violation, it was simple trespass as Buzz noted. The perps did everything correctly to make sure it wasn't a game violation but evidently forgot driving across private land without permission was simple trespass.

I remember when ODFW got their hand slapped. I believe OR and WY are essentially the same; you can carry a weapon in the woods without a license, even during season, as long as you aren't hunting. Second Amendment stuff, personal protection, etc..

There wasn't a hunting violation, it was simple trespass as Buzz noted. The perps did everything correctly to make sure it wasn't a game violation but evidently forgot driving across private land without permission was simple trespass.

I remember when ODFW got their hand slapped. I believe OR and WY are essentially the same; you can carry a weapon in the woods without a license, even during season, as long as you aren't hunting. Second Amendment stuff, personal protection, etc..

OK, then my non-legal mind understands this the same as you. I try to avoid reading that other forum too closely, because I can feel my brain cells dying when I do. ;)

QQ

Who knows. Some judges rule quickly to frame issues for settlement or kick things early. Others wait until right before trial. A few have even been known to hold potentially dispossitive motions until after trial (super frustrating and should be grounds for impeachment).
or opens motions for mistrial... correct?

Its 66 pages...I have a copy of it but not sure how to post it here as its in a PDF.
Use "attach files" at the bottom of your post portion - paperclip. It's specifically set to attach .pdf's. I've attached a 200+ page pdf without issue.

Would be quality for people to learn the actual process.

FWIW - an opinion letter from a former AG is not binding on any court or any future AG. Hell even the originating AG can later flip-flop on their position.
The AG specifically stated this in his opinion. Refer to attached .pdf

Attachments

• 01-2019060313-04Trespass-CornerCrossing(1) (1).pdf
    382.9 KB · Views: 22
No it won't...

For starters, go back and read the title 23-303-5 AG opinion, it specifically refers to "corner crossing" as the action that is not prosecutable under title 23, as there is no "intent" to hunt the private.

Further, what private property is being entered upon or through corner crossing?

IF, and that's a big IF, the first time a warden scratches a ticket disregarding the AG opinion, even under this new language it would be thrown out.

This bill is what you get from frustrated landowners who feel like they have to do something, so they can lock us out of public land.
If passed as is, this would reverse the AG opinion letter, but would still not address whether "hopping" over corners is trespass in the first place.

The AG's letter said corner crossing to hunt public behind the corner is not a violation of 23-303-5 because there is no intent to hunt on the private land at the crossed corners regardless of trespass or not. 23-303-5 at the time focused on the location of the intended hunt, not the path to get there. The posted bill reverses this and would make corner-crossing a violation of the amended 23-303-5 to the extent the "air space" above those corners are the private owner's property. It also brings into play folks who in fact trespassed by missing the proper corner even though their hunt was entirely on public.

Last edited:
If passed as is, this would reverse the AG opinion letter, but would still not address whether "hopping" over corners is trespass in the first place.

The AG's letter said corner crossing to hunt public behind the corner is not a violation of 23-303-5 because there is no intent to hunt on the private land at the crossed corners regardless of trespass or not. 23-303-5 at the time focused on the location of the intended hunt, not the path to get there. The posted bill reverses this and would make corner-crossing a violation of the amended 23-303-5 to the extent the "air space" above those corners are the private owner's property. It also brings into play folks who in fact trespassed by missing the proper corner even though their hunt was entirely on public.
No offense, but we're going to get an opinion from the lawyers involved.

No offense, but your remarks were misleading to other readers, but we all look forward to the involved lawyers thoughts.
I think you need to re-read the AG opinion, I don't agree with your previous assessment and I wasn't misleading anyone.

Thank you for your concern in Wyoming's AG opinions...I can give you Cranks phone number if you want to argue with him.

Anytime you want to move to Wyoming and tackle these issues and co-chair the WYBHA board...I'll write you a letter of recommendation and gladly let you take it over.

Back