Wyoming Corner Crossing Defense Fund

I never heard anything about the lawyers motion to dismiss. Was it just ignored by the judge or hasn't he looked at it yet?

I never heard anything about the lawyers motion to dismiss. Was it just ignored by the judge or hasn't he looked at it yet?
I’ll hazard a guess that the County Attorney will ask for a date to respond in writing to the motion to dismiss. On that note, if anyone knows where a copy of the complete filed motion to dismiss could be located as a public record or if they have a copy they would share, I’d love to give it a read through.

Who knows. Some judges rule quickly to frame issues for settlement or kick things early. Others wait until right before trial. A few have even been known to hold potentially dispossitive motions until after trial (super frustrating and should be grounds for impeachment).

More press.

That article is total crap...restatement of all the facts that have been out for a long time.

Quoting 2 groups/orgs hired help, that are doing absolutely nothing about this case, other than hiding under the bed in fear of upsetting the legislature.

Not the best reporting I've seen on this case.

There's going to be more press on this, and it will be more interesting than this "piece".

Last edited:
I’ll hazard a guess that the County Attorney will ask for a date to respond in writing to the motion to dismiss. On that note, if anyone knows where a copy of the complete filed motion to dismiss could be located as a public record or if they have a copy they would share, I’d love to give it a read through.
Its 66 pages...I have a copy of it but not sure how to post it here as its in a PDF.

Send me a pm and I can get it to you via email.

That article is total crap...restatement of all the facts that have been out for a long time.

Quoting 2 groups/orgs hired help, that are doing absolutely nothing about this case, other than hiding under the bed in fear of upsetting the legislature.

There's going to be more press on this, and it will be more interesting than this "piece".
This won' turn out well for TRCP & WWF. They use public access in their fundraising pitch, but when a real chance to open 700,000+ acres comes, they cower under the sheets, afraid to get in the fray. Legislatively, it will hurt these groups even more when it becomes obvious that their message is not clear.

This won' turn out well for TRCP & WWF. They use public access in their fundraising pitch, but when a real chance to open 700,000+ acres comes, they cower under the sheets, afraid to get in the fray. Legislatively, it will hurt these groups even more when it becomes obvious that their message is not clear.
Correct and it's pretty tough to claim you want to stay out of an issue then comment on the record about it.

Even worse their comments align closer with those wanting to keep people off public land than those fighting for public land access.

Bill currently in the pipeline. In my uneducated opinion, this would make it illegal to corner-cross and enable wardens to cite hunters: https://www.wyoleg.gov/Legislation/2022/HB0103
No it won't...

For starters, go back and read the title 23-303-5 AG opinion, it specifically refers to "corner crossing" as the action that is not prosecutable under title 23, as there is no "intent" to hunt the private.

Further, what private property is being entered upon or through corner crossing?

IF, and that's a big IF, the first time a warden scratches a ticket disregarding the AG opinion, even under this new language it would be thrown out.

This bill is what you get from frustrated landowners who feel like they have to do something, so they can lock us out of public land.

Last edited:
Buzz, would this make it a Game and Fish violation to corner cross IF corner crossing is deemed traveling through private land? This all of a sudden makes corner crossing a much more risky proposition for hunters if that's the case.

Its seems appropriate that Senator BONER is a cosponsor.

Further, what private property is being entered upon or through corner crossing?
I agree with everything you say, but it could be argued that by corner crossing, one is going through private land. As the statue is now, I have no problem corner crossing. The proposed language would make me think twice until having a conversation with the warden in my hunt area.

Buzz, would this make it a Game and Fish violation to corner cross IF corner crossing is deemed traveling through private land? This all of a sudden makes corner crossing a much more risky proposition for hunters if that's the case.

Its seems appropriate that Senator BONER is a cosponsor.
I don't believe so, the AG opinion specifically names CORNER CROSSING as the action that does not violate title 23.

That's been the case all along, that corner crossing specifically does not violate 23-3-305 due to intent. There would still be no intent to enter upon, through, or whatever verb they want to use, to trespass on private property while stepping from one piece of PUBLIC property, to another piece of PUBLIC property.

I agree with everything you say, but it could be argued that by corner crossing, one is going through private land. As the statue is now, I have no problem corner crossing. The proposed language would make me think twice until having a conversation with the warden in my hunt area.
Through what "land"?

I would argue that through private land means traveling by foot, horse, vehicle setting foot on private land...which is already illegal under 23.

Through what "land"?

I would argue that through private land means traveling by foot, horse, vehicle setting foot on private land...which is already illegal under 23.
I'm going through the air space above the land. Some think that constitutes going through the land. I cannot see how current statutes can be successfully litigated against a corner crosser. I can see how simply adding the word through could change that, enough to make me think twice and think Pat Crank's opinion becomes less relevant. If the language is changed, I want to be certain a warden won't cite me before I corner cross. I know that I am still not violating criminal trespass statute.

I'm going through the air space above the land. Some think that constitutes going through the land. I cannot see how current statutes can be successfully litigated against a corner crosser. I can see how simply adding the word through could change that, enough to make me think twice and think Pat Crank's opinion becomes less relevant. If the language is changed, I want to be certain a warden won't cite me before I corner cross. I know that I am still not violating criminal trespass statute.
No disrespect; but don't think you should corner cross due to all your expressed trepidations concerning this issue. You will likely be so nervous about liability that you could not make an accurate shot if you did find deer or elk across the corner.

Read the statute...its ridiculous to believe that passing through air space at a corner is trespassing with intent to hunt the private LAND.

As straightarrow said, don't do it if you're that concerned...

That's what they're trying to do, intimidate public land owners from accessing public lands. They know they don't have a leg to stand on changing that language or they would specify corner crossing, which they don't.

This one is going to the State SC I think...

I am a little torn on this, would like to know if there intention was to hunt or get a ticket? Would like to make sure this isn't just a guy trying to make a name for himself on some platform as the guy who is fighting "the man". I would like to see tracks and profile on people (did they even have a tag) before I can put more than a few bucks towards a issue. Hopefully someone with knowledge of case at Wy BHA could vouch or acknowledge merits of case to us. Could just be 4 Dbags mad at a limited access unit and got caught trying to cheat. Just remember it may not turn out the way everyone expects/wants on this site so be careful what you wish for...

Pretty sure they had animals down so hunting, yes. I may well be wrong but I thought that was part of it.

Pretty sure they had animals down so hunting, yes. I may well be wrong but I thought that was part of it.
Its all in the record, they did have animals down both elk and deer. They had also hunted the same place, the same way the year prior.

Also Angus got out over his ski's on this one with the title, the bill Sponsors we've heard from says this is NOT about corner crossing, but specifically about vehicle travel.

While this corner crossing case was going on, another group of hunters cased their rifles, unloaded them, and drove across private to reach public. Their claim was that since there was no intent to hunt, they didn't trespass. Which is total BS, that's title 23 trespass and they got cited, which they were 100% guilty of.

They attempted to beat up WYBHA saying we were cherry picking who we supported on public access and who we weren't.

They were put in their place...big-time.

Safe to say the WYBHA board vote to support the Defense Fund was not unanimous?

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back