Caribou Gear

Wyoming Corner Crossing Defense Fund

I'm curious; We can't drive a truck or ATV across a section of state or BLM land off the designated 2-tracks. Is the rancher that is leasing that land for grazing rights allowed to drive a motorized vehicle anywhere he wants over top of vegetation? Sounds to me like that is what the rancher and/or employees were doing while following the hunters.

I'm curious; We can't drive a truck or ATV across a section of state or BLM land off the designated 2-tracks. Is the rancher that is leasing that land for grazing rights allowed to drive a motorized vehicle anywhere he wants over top of vegetation? Sounds to me like that is what the rancher and/or employees were doing while following the hunters.
Maybe. Maybe not. Could have easily been a two track near where the hunters were walking.

I'm not certain if a grazing lease gives them approval to drive as they see fit but I will say they are given a great deal of leeway. Many of the ranchers in this part of the State use motorcycles and ATV's to move their cattle and sheep with little regard for where they are driving. I have yet to see anyone put a stop to it.

I operate a mining lease on BLM and we can only travel on existing two tracks across native. If we want to make a new road we are required to obtain a ROW and perform reclamation to those tracks when we are done. The BLM monitors us closely.

View attachment 211092
First comment... welcome to the west. Be a good piece of shit non-resident and pay a rancher to use 'his' public land.
He owns some prime hunting land and leases inaccessible BLM land.

Feeling cute, might tell him to put his money where is mouth is and grant me permission to hunt there.

When you start looking at maps there are a lot of corner crossing opportunities outside the checkerboard.

This could get really entertaining as it seems like this fall the issue is likely going to be pressed by more than a few people in many states.
Yeah that's a great point. The legal experts have, and I think correctly, pointed out that this case doesn't change anything legally.

But... if it is dismissed and next year over the course of the season 20 people cross at that point... then 2000 folks cross in various other spots around the state.

I can't imagine the 62 game wardens not to mention the DA is going to have any appetite for citations.

When you start looking at maps there are a lot of corner crossing opportunities outside the checkerboard.

This could get really entertaining as it seems like this fall the issue is likely going to be pressed by more than a few people in many states.
I've thought this too. I also wonder though how feasible it is to cross at many of the corners...such as the corners in thick blow down beetle kill on the steep east side of Elk Mnt.

This spring we should organize a HT corner cross event. On a Saturday, hit some corners as one big huge massive group to exercise our "perceived" right to do so! The Saturday after their court date in April sounds good. Victory demonstration it would be.

I've thought this too. I also wonder though how feasible it is to cross at many of the corners...such as the corners in thick blow down beetle kill on the steep east side of Elk Mnt.
Good point. I'm sure some are not practical, especially carrying out meat, but the more I look I see some huge pieces of previously inaccessible public that are going to be accessible by corner. Finding a square mile or 3 to hunt by corner crossing is one thing but getting into a chunks of 5-10+ square miles all together is really going to be nice.

This will be fun as guys get creative. I also see some spots you could float into and then hike/corner cross and get into some prime public land.

There will be a lot of guided hunters who think they are on private wondering why there are other hunters all around and the guide can't do anything about it. LOL

I just looked and you can hunt much of the "wild horse ranch" development out by Centennial by corner crossing. That would be fun.

Yeah that's a great point. The legal experts have, and I think correctly, pointed out that this case doesn't change anything legally.

But... if it is dismissed and next year over the course of the season 20 people cross at that point... then 2000 folks cross in various other spots around the state.

I can't imagine the 62 game wardens not to mention the DA is going to have any appetite for citations.
I think you are right. Seeth nailed it. Simply make it a problem for one year with huge numbers of people doing it, document the landowner harassment that occurs, and if things to wrong just start a go fund me. The end result would be Sheriffs and DA's throwing in the towel, not thousands of hunters locked up.

This is going to hurt the outfitting business big time as these prime spots suddenly get significantly more pressure from people with much lower expectations in many cases.

This spring we should organize a HT corner cross event. On a Saturday, hit some corners as one big huge massive group to exercise our "perceived" right to do so! The Saturday after their court date in April sounds good. Victory demonstration it would be.
Seeing as the WY legislature controls trespass laws and out-of-state hunting access we probably might want to take a less antagonistic approach to the issue.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back