Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WY Moose pts, quit now?

Thanks for proving my point again.

If you insulted and argued with people like this in person, I'm guessing you would end up with your head stuck in a toilet.

Your insults and nonsense are well documented all over the internet hunting forums.
I agree. We should do a fundraiser for who gives buzz a swirly bowl. Could raise a lot of money for wildlife. He is right on a lot of things though.

Been buying them for 25 years...it's paid off in some cases, not so much in others.

Funding wildlife, research, habitat improvement, wardens salaries, biologist salaries, etc....all for an even slight chance to hunt all across the country? I pay that price....all........day......long.
Except in NM where you have said the chance is too slight. So .....no.......you......don't......

The thing about these draw systems is that somebody always feels like they are getting screwed. I agree preference points don’t seem to make much sense on these big 3 tags. Though, imagine being the 70 year old man with max points the year the draw system changes. Unfortunately little is actually “fair”.

What if if wyo switched to Bonus Points or Bonus Points squares the year one of you had max points for moose. Now that thread would be funny 🤣

I understand the frustrations, but it’s comical listening to you all argue with each other over this.

Last edited:
The thing about these draw systems is that somebody always feels like they are getting screwed. I agree preference points don’t seem to make much sense on these big 3 tags. Though, imagine being the 70 year old man with max points the year the draw system changes. Unfortunately little is actually “fair”.

What if if wyo switched to Bonus Points or Bonus Points squares the year one of you had max points for moose. Now that thread would be funny 🤣

I understand the frustrations, but it’s comical listening to you all argue with each other over this.
Yup. That would suck but so does finding out you have stage 4 cancer…just making my point that the suck is part of life

Except in NM where you have said the chance is too slight. So .....no.......you......don't......sure
New Mexico has nothing I can't hunt elsewhere. Once I drew a desert sheep in Arizona new Mexico became an easy pass. I rarely applied for anything there but desert sheep and oryx. Applied for deer once, elk twice, and pronghorn maybe 3 times over a 15 year stretch. Just better hunting to be had elsewhere.
apples and pineapples there. irrelevant.
Maybe something closer is when your state made rfw applications resident only. Or when they started requiring a turkey tag or hunting license to apply. Or was it when they stopped requiring fronting the full tag fees?

That's a bit closer to apples to apples...wouldn't you agree?

Nobody threatened a lawsuit over any of that.

Last edited:
  • “Stupid is as stupid does.” – Forrest Gump.
Yep, just stupid to apply for hard to draw tags...

moose2.JPG

dadsmoose.JPG

fredsmoose2.JPG

tomsram3.jpg

mattmoose4_1_1.jpg
199.JPG

DSCN9407.JPG

New Mexico has nothing I can't hunt elsewhere. Once I drew a desert sheep in Arizona new Mexico became an easy pass. I rarely applied for anything there but desert sheep and oryx. Applied for deer once, elk twice, and pronghorn maybe 3 times over a 15 year stretch. Just better hunting to be had elsewhere.

Maybe something closer is when your state made rfw applications resident only. Or when they started requiring a turkey tag or hunting license to apply. Or was it when they stopped requiring fronting the full tag fees?

That's a bit closer to apples to apples...wouldn't you agree?

Nobody threatened a lawsuit over any of that.
no don't agree, well maybe a bit closer but not a lot closer. Not a huge fan of colo tag allocation schema. Kinda like NM. Massive outfitter welfare tags via the landowner voucher program in both states, much of which benefits nonres disproportionately, plus a massive percent of non big 3 tags wide open to nonres (Colo) as compared to every other state.

And yeah colo has necked down the free flowing tags to nonres, some, but not to the degree WY did in one big step. Also, Colo altered those nonres prece tages BEFORE jackimg up pref point fees. Which is the issue…A state wants to ban nonres hunters, great. Just dont do it after bilking the nonres for crazy high point fees for years.

Pretty sure we have all beat this thread to death by now.

The question was, is it worth buying moose points if sitting at 17 points.The answer is….NO!!!

Yep, just stupid to apply for hard to draw tags...

moose2.JPG

dadsmoose.JPG

fredsmoose2.JPG

tomsram3.jpg

mattmoose4_1_1.jpg
199.JPG

DSCN9407.JPG
Finally...some pictures in the thread! It's photos like these that keep my hopes alive!

I will continue to buy points as long as it doesn't constrain me financially in other more important areas of life. I like to keep my glimmer of hope since I don't know what the future may hold. Each person needs to determine what the right breaking point is for themselves.

Point systems may or may not change, and tag allocations the same way. Just keep playing to what suits your needs and desires with the cards that are dealt to you. I hope lots of folks decide to quit buying now so I can move up on the leaderboard sooner.

Thank you @BuzzH for keeping my dreams alive with your pics!

It really should be what you want to do, personally me I let Utah have all my points, since my goal when I started was the henries for muleys and mnt goat somewhere, and elk I was in cause my buddy is a elk nut lol. I see no guarantee I’d ever get what I was after so I walked away, sucks but it’s the way it is. I’ll just keep hunting my muleys here in Wyoming and keep hoping for the luck of a mountain goat here also.

I do think with 17 pts there are some areas that you have decent shots now. The way I read it the points required for a NR to draw will go up drastically, even double/triple, but it will still take a handful of years to reach that?

Just my thoughts...I'd keep applying. 17 is quite a few points to lose....

In light of changes that happened since this thread was opened I would actually be SLIGHTLY more inclined to stay in if I was 17pts in AND had the money to stay in without giving up other applications. Having fewer than max preference points is worthless, but I think the allocation change is likely to force a system change which converts those preference points to some kind of bonus point. The more people think this way, the longer it will take for that change to occur. It’s also possible that WY makes so little from NRs on the big 3 that they don’t care if NRs stop applying. It’s an expensive gamble with very poor odds, and regardless of point scheme, a lot of people are chasing very few tags, and the number of tags just decreased significantly.

The way I read it the points required for a NR to draw will go up drastically, even double/triple
That's impossible.
Last year there were 2 moose units that non-residents drew tags in with 18 points.
There were 5 units that non-residents drew tags in with 19 points.
(I'm not including the anomaly that occurred in 36-1, as it's highly unlikely to reoccur.)
The maximum non-resident point total is 27, with one person that high.
2 have 26 points.
So how do the odds go up to 36 or 38 points needed to draw a tag? No one has that many.
What it will do is increase the bottom or "entry" level tags to 21 or 22 points (if the few people at the top, 23-27 points, hold out and only apply for the very best "trophy" units.)
There are 464 combined people in the 21 and 22 non-resident point level pools.
Going to take a long time to get through those people at 30 tags a year.
And there are another 424 people sitting on 20 points.

That's impossible.
Last year there were 2 moose units that non-residents drew tags in with 18 points.
There were 5 units that non-residents drew tags in with 19 points.
(I'm not including the anomaly that occurred in 36-1, as it's highly unlikely to reoccur.)
The maximum non-resident point total is 27, with one person that high.
2 have 26 points.
So how do the odds go up to 36 or 38 points needed to draw a tag? No one has that many.
What it will do is increase the bottom or "entry" level tags to 21 or 22 points (if the few people at the top, 23-27 points, hold out and only apply for the very best "trophy" units.)
There are 464 combined people in the 21 and 22 non-resident point level pools.
Going to take a long time to get through those people at 30 tags a year.
And there are another 424 people sitting on 20 points.
According to you, 888 people have 20, 21 or 22 points. At 30 tags per year, it will take 30 years to get each of them a tag. That year max points will be 50 or more(depending on how many are currently over 22 and who applies vs buys a point). According to your research, it looks like preference points required to draw will roughly double current max(27x2=54) AND roughly triple the points to draw the easiest unit last year(18x3=54). Where was rhinorv so far off that what he said is “impossible”. He did not say that it would occur immediately.

Because I don’t plan on hunting moose 54 years from now, or investing $5400(plus increases along the way) and 54 years of waiting into hoping that public land moose hunting is still a thing when I’m 90yrs old, I’m not going to start building moose preference points in WY.

Side note. If you had an investment with a 10% yield, and put in $100 today, in 56 years you would have $20,796 WITH NO ADDITIONAL INVESTMENT. Think about putting $100/year into that instead of $100 just once. Now think about sending $100/yr to WY for a slim chance at a moose tag. That is a VERY EXPENSIVE moose tag. Go hunt BC.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back