WY Moose pts, quit now?

All you guys with your math😂😂. Go read the sheep tag draw thread and tell all those clowns and their lucky tag drawing a$$es about the math. I’m in with 8 moose points!! It’s a stupid tax for me but you can’t win if you don’t play right?
Lol I’ve already drawn WY & NH and scored on both. No need for me to play or win anymore at this price & ROI. 😂

You will probably never catch up and it will get harder with the quota cuts.

I would dump it and stop giving Wyoming your hard earned money for nothing.

Your can find better chances in another state for less money.

All you guys with your math😂😂. Go read the sheep tag draw thread and tell all those clowns and their lucky tag drawing a$$es about the math. I’m in with 8 moose points!! It’s a stupid tax for me but you can’t win if you don’t play right?
Stupid tax might be right, and I don’t mean to be offensive.

I don’t know exactly how WY does moose, but for elk, you don’t have to buy a point to get into the random, AND the random is random(not bonus). SO, if you don’t have max points, your draw odds have absolutely nothing to do with your points, AND since you can get in the random without buying points, why pay the $150 point fee when there are 42yrs worth of applicants ahead of you?

Again, I’m not familiar with whether or not WY conducts their moose draw differently than their elk draw.

If the WY system for OIL species is the same as it is for elk, then the only reason to buy points if you’re not already near max would be if you were currently 12yrs old and planning to hunt MSG in your 70s.

I looked at who is applying and who is just buying points, who was applying for 38, and who applied in the no-random-NR- tag units, and my assessment is that you could draw in the next 3 years if you just want any old bull tag. If you want any of the high demand units... stop buying points, become cynical, convince everyone else to give up too.

Last edited:
"Don't stop believin'! Hold on to that feelin'!"

I keep telling myself to give up, but I can't make myself do it. If I were in your shoes, I would stick with it. Worst case, you're out some money with no moose tag. I waste more money than that every year on other crap. Best case, you get a sweet moose tag!

Personally, I would probably bail if I were heavily invested in Colorado and just keep it to one state since it does get expensive if you're doing it lots of places, but I only invested in WY early on, so I'm hanging on. I believe you already drew CO? If so, I would hold on in WY. Something tells me you'd easily be able to find some friends to help you pack a moose out if you don't draw until you're much older.

Idaho has gotten too expensive to apply if not hunting there for something else.

Stupid tax might be right, and I don’t mean to be offensive.

I don’t know exactly how WY does moose, but for elk, you don’t have to buy a point to get into the random, AND the random is random(not bonus). SO, if you don’t have max points, your draw odds have absolutely nothing to do with your points, AND since you can get in the random without buying points, why pay the $150 point fee when there are 42yrs worth of applicants ahead of you?

Again, I’m not familiar with whether or not WY conducts their moose draw differently than their elk draw.

If the WY system for OIL species is the same as it is for elk, then the only reason to buy points if you’re not already near max would be if you were currently 12yrs old and planning to hunt MSG in your 70s.
Not offensive at all when your right.😂😂. That being said you are making the assumption that the system will never change…it may not but if it does all of sudden points might mean something…who knows. For now I definitely can’t argue with your logic

"Don't stop believin'! Hold on to that feelin'!"

I keep telling myself to give up, but I can't make myself do it. If I were in your shoes, I would stick with it. Worst case, you're out some money with no moose tag. I waste more money than that every year on other crap. Best case, you get a sweet moose tag!

Personally, I would probably bail if I were heavily invested in Colorado and just keep it to one state since it does get expensive if you're doing it lots of places, but I only invested in WY early on, so I'm hanging on. I believe you already drew CO? If so, I would hold on in WY. Something tells me you'd easily be able to find some friends to help you pack a moose out if you don't draw until you're much older.

Idaho has gotten too expensive to apply if not hunting there for something else.
Yeah I always think back to right after college when I was still young and stupid but finally wasn’t completely broke. I bought a box of shots at a wedding bar. It was like 80 shots. Wy moose points are my “box” of shots now I guess. 😂

Yeah I always think back to right after college when I was still young and stupid but finally wasn’t completely broke. I bought a box of shots at a wedding bar. It was like 80 shots. Wy moose points are my “box” of shots now I guess. 😂
Is this a "pissing it down the drain" reference? ;)

Tough spot to be in. I had looked at the odds yeas ago and I bailed on sheep in WY when the point went to $75. I did stay in the draw for moose and drew my tag in 2018. Had a wonderful experience and killed a good bull with my bow. If I was in your shoes I’d probably drop out, but only you know what you want.

Not offensive at all when your right.😂😂. That being said you are making the assumption that the system will never change…it may not but if it does all of sudden points might mean something…who knows. For now I definitely can’t argue with your logic
I do think that you can count on things changing. The fact that most point buyers are behind the curve and points don’t help you in the random portion of the WY draw will make a change to the system benefit WY and the majority of applicants.

The questions are A) will the change benefit you? And B) will the benefit be worth the cost of buying all the points between now(when points don’t help you in any way) and the time that the change does benefit you in some way?

Last edited:
I do think that you can count on things changing. The fact that most point buyers are behind the curve and points don’t help you in the random portion of the WY draw will make a change to the system benefit WY and the majority of applicants.

The questions are A) will the change benefit you? And B) will the benefit be worth the cost of buying all the points between now(when points any helping you in any way) and the time that the change does benefit you in some way?
I agree. With 90/10 looking like a probable done deal, buying points for anyone but the top point holders is looking dumber and dumber. But looking at the point totals it appears their are a bunch of morons like me with low point totals still buying points. I suspect maybe they don’t realize the waste of money points are right now for them. I realize it yet am still buying. That makes me extra special unless the system gets changed.

I agree. With 90/10 looking like a probable done deal, buying points for anyone but the top point holders is looking dumber and dumber. But looking at the point totals it appears their are a bunch of morons like me with low point totals still buying points. I suspect maybe they don’t realize the waste of money points are right now for them. I realize it yet am still buying. That makes me extra special unless the system gets changed.

Can someone elaborate on this thought a bit more? Im not quite following on why going to 90/10 devalues points for NR. For the record I have 3 elk/deer/antelope right now no MSG.

But my thoughts if the tag allocation becomes less, wouldn’t the value of having BPs increase?

Can someone elaborate on this thought a bit more? Im not quite following on why going to 90/10 devalues points for NR. For the record I have 3 elk/deer/antelope right now no MSG.

But my thoughts if the tag allocation becomes less, wouldn’t the value of having BPs increase?
Less tags available both in the random and preference point draws. Since the points are for preference points only they only help you if you are one of the top point holders which with 90/10 will make your wait even longer for even the top point holders. For example, I have 8 moose points. I probably have 60-70 years of point holders in front of me right now. With 90/10 there will be even less tags available so now I have like 100 years of point holders in front of me. Where things get wonky is that we are talking an amount of years where death loss plays in but that would totally depend on ones current age.

Back