Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

WY Moose pts, quit now?

Khunter

Holding 17 WY moose points, seems just about pointless to build any more. Will be 10? years before I would ever be in the running in the max points pool so I am relegated to the random?

Thoughts from the peanut gallery? Ihter high-sh point holders loking at skipping the $150 pref point buy?

Holding 17 WY moose points, seems just about pointless to build any more. Will be 10? years before I would ever be in the running in the max points pool so I am relegated to the random?

Thoughts from the peanut gallery? Ihter high-sh point holders loking at skipping the $150 pref point buy?
I bailed at 6 a few years back, wouldn’t blame you if you did. Rock and a hard place.

Tough call. One big unknown is will WY drop quota to 10%? If so, it would make sense to bail now.

I got drawn for a cow moose tag a few years ago in a different state (not WY). Went on the moose hunt and shot a cow; the hunt itself was a great experience. Came home and ate the moose meat, decided that I prefer elk meat over moose meat, looked at the WY draw odds for a moose tag, the cost for a point, the WY trend for issuing tags, and promptly dropped out of the WY moose game. I had 10 points at the time. (Random NR drawing issues 6 tags; best odds are 2% for antlerless, most are 0.5% or less.) That was a few years ago.

You look like you have 10 years of moose hunting left in you, which is what it will take to draw the best units, unless you're satisfied with your Colorado bull and cows and want to release some of your opportunity to the next few generations.
Invite me when you get a tag, and I'll pack a leg out.

I think I’d keep at it if I were you and already had 17 points saved up. Maybe I’d re evaluate in 5 or so years and see what the situation is.

I stopped on sheep when it went from $7 to $50 (or was it $75?), mainly because of how the NR wilderness restrictions really reduced my odds.
I got lucky cashed moose points for a mid tier unit and for sheep held on I think one year longer when it hit $100 then ran.

Last edited:
I think I’d keep at it if I were you and already had 17 points saved up. Maybe I’d re evaluate in 5 or so years and see what the situation is.
LOL. Nice.

He is in the NR 17 PP pool. There are 450 other NR's in that same 17 PP pool. And there are 2412 NR ahead of them! (NR's with 18-27 points). Granted, not all of these point holders are applying for tags, as many are just buying points......but WY issued ~ 61 NR moose tags in the PP pool last year, and ~ 6 tags in the random drawing.

42 more years on points, I don't see the problem.
Your points are worthless unless they go to a random bonus structure, and then they're not, kind of, well not really. That's the carrot to keep the point fees coming in.
Exactly right! 42 years at $150 a point makes for $6300 in points alone, assuming the cost of a point never increases over the next 42 years.....which, I'm "sure" it won't! So, yeah, go ahead, apply away! (These numbers are under the current NR tag allocations....I'm sure there are other threads outlining how your chances will play out with 90/10!) Good luck, man!!!! :unsure:

I dropped WY MSG some time ago. My decision came down to investing those dollars into other hunts. While I would love to have a Shiras some day, the WY PP dollars alone over the course of my life would pay for a nice AK moose hunt. If I had that many points, I might stay in the game, and move to WY when I retire for a year then draw, hunt, and move back. Or Stay. I like WY.

Can you draw a type 4? That would be better than just quitting, in my opinion.
Well, you can try! 1 of the 6 tags in the random drawing was for a type 4 tag in unit 38. Those are the best odds, at 2.2%.

On the PP side of the drawing, unit 3 drawn with 10 points and unit 25 drawn with 12 points. If you want to draw there and cash out 17 points, that'd work. If holding out for an antlered moose tag, well, good luck!

Also you can’t put a price on the minuscule chance you might get to rub it in to people like Zim with their rational pragmatic thinking that you were “that” lucky nr SOB that drew the only random tag…someday I hope to be that guy…someday I hope to draw a sheep tag…someday I hope to win a gun…someday….😂

I applied for goat and sheep in Wyoming last night. I looked at the point totals and decided I'm not spending money on points for sheep any more out there. Just hoping the random draw works out for me one of these days.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back