MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

WY GEN Elk Tag is Virtually a Once in a Lifetime Tag---Change my Mind

The good thing is there will soon to be guaranteed outfitter tags so you will be able to hunt every year!

Ever heard the saying "the cure for high prices is high prices?"

If point creep is the problem then points need to become more expensive.

Not sure what the Supply-Demand curve looks like on Nonresident tags, but when there are more MAX point Applicants than available tags those points are worth more. What if points (point only option) 1-10 were price X, and points 11-15 were 2X and points 15-20 were 3X and points 20-30 were 5X ?

You see this in New Mexico where High demand elk tags sell for more than regular

Last edited:
You know what would help, recruiting more hunters, more people applying for tags, more people buying points, more people, more people, more people. Hunting is dying don’t you know!

I’ve got a billion dollar idea: Transferable resident vouchers!! Hear me out; any resident could sell their voucher (it would be theirs after all!) to another resident or NR, state gets a cut of the sale, say 30%. Then the NR would still have to buy a $1-$2k license from the state. Set it up like gunbroker, “tagbroker” maybe? Hmmm…
Game and Fish Revenue problems? Solved. Opportunity issues? Solved. Tags for outfitters? Solved. Every one makes some $ or goes hunting, win-win-win!! I don’t think anything could go wrong???

We were lied to for years by government organizations and hunting based NGOs that we needed to increase recruitment, that hunting was dying, that it was going to go away. All those were just lies to increase funding and budgets. Hunting has never been decreasing.

Now we are paying the price for those falsehoods.

In my mid (oh crap, late 😬) 40’s. Using points I expect I might get 1 more decent WY elk tag, 1 fair deer tag, 1 or 2 good antelope tags. After that, its a total crapshoot in the random.

In Colorado, I am definitely looking at 1 excellent elk tag, 1 excellent Antelope tag, a basic deer tag and then cow tags or low-pt hunts thereafter.

In Montana, I expect 1 elk, 1 deer, 1 antelope, then I’m done there most likely.

Some other random tags here or there if I am lucky over the next 20 years.

Add these up, I’m into my 60’s and probably ready for more fishing! LOL

Sad to see it change from the “good old days” but this is my time, I’ll enjoy what I can and do the best to “beat the system” as if thats possible. I expect to hunt a lot still, including some really good hunts, never as much as I would want to, but more than a lot of people starting out now probably. “Once in a lifetime” just shifts the priorities to other opportunities while they last. Enjoy every hunt!!!

We were lied to for years by government organizations and hunting based NGOs that we needed to increase recruitment, that hunting was dying, that it was going to go away. All those were just lies to increase funding and budgets. Hunting has never been decreasing.

Now we are paying the price for those falsehoods.
You are conflating completely separate issues.

If you think Matt Rinella looks like a genius now, wait till 2025. Stop supporting the people who profit off of manufacturing new hunters before it's too late (it probably already is).
Should we be mad at those proponents for public land hunting/access? Or these idiots who completely blow units up on public forums/social media?

The most specific I’ve seen any of these “manufacturers of new hunters” be is regions or how to draw a tag. Never “unit XX” or “region XX”.

I dare say these individual idiots who can’t keep their mouth shut about specific units/locations are the real problem. This site being no different, guys stoked about drawing a unit, post all about it, post a scouting trip, post a hunt, recap, etc., essentially doing a free unit report for every swinging’…bino harness on the internet. Most of the time, these are complete with pictures WITH distinguishable landmarks in the background. I’m a firm believer that loose lips sink draw odds.

As with anything, we are our own worst enemies.

Exactly! Watch how many new members show up since the Wyoming draw is out.

Hey guys, drew unit 666. Dont know much about it, does anyone have info they would be willing to pass on. I am a diy public land meat hunter so not to picky but would like Boone and Crockett buck/bull. BTW probably just take information and disappear for the rest of the eternity but it’ll be posted on here and searchable for the rest of time as well. Thanks for helping me get this done.

Ever heard the saying "the cure for high prices is high prices?"

If point creep is the problem then points need to become more expensive.

Not sure what the Supply-Demand curve looks like on Nonresident tags, but when there are more MAX point Applicants than available tags those points are worth more. What if points (point only option) 1-10 were price X, and points 11-15 were 2X and points 15-20 were 3X and points 20-30 were 5X ?

You see this in New Mexico where High demand elk tags sell for more than regular
Well, we do need to increase tag costs across the board.

Should we be mad at those proponents for public land hunting/access? Or these idiots who completely blow units up on public forums/social media?

The most specific I’ve seen any of these “manufacturers of new hunters” be is regions or how to draw a tag. Never “unit XX” or “region XX”.

I dare say these individual idiots who can’t keep their mouth shut about specific units/locations are the real problem. This site being no different, guys stoked about drawing a unit, post all about it, post a scouting trip, post a hunt, recap, etc., essentially doing a free unit report for every swinging’…bino harness on the internet. Most of the time, these are complete with pictures WITH distinguishable landmarks in the background. I’m a firm believer that loose lips sink draw odds.

Rinella is right....

The number of tags in units isn’t changing that much as a whole, the number of people putting in is. What’s the common driver of that? The hunting celebs and influencers that everyone is fanboying over use all the right buzzwords and have most hunters convinced that they are public land advocates that are somehow conserving hunting from all the boogie men. The reality is that they use it as a front to sell products to gullible people who think they need $5k in gear, a $1k elk hunting Boot Camp and application strategies in 7 western states to be a badass internet hunter like they are. The picture of the dude on the bear thread that was hunting the M in Bozeman is a prime example

My uncle just drew a Colorado unit 10 archery tag with 23 points as a resident, that's a once in a lifetime tag! It will be the same for units 1,2, and 201, as a non resident now, it isn't a pretty picture.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back