WY GEN Elk Tag is Virtually a Once in a Lifetime Tag---Change my Mind

If the market keeps declining, and gas increasing, it will be interesting to see what it does for demand from the people that hunt multiple states a year.
Definitely makes me rethink drawing tags in other states. I have a Colorado deer tag and I’m good I don’t want anything else. I am certainly feeling the pinch.

Just brainstorming here- I think we could fix the problems within a generation if we lobby the government to absolutely ban or make videography extremely expensive on public land. Make it cost prohibitive and create real pain for any “influencer” who benefits financially in any way even if it’s getting a free t shirt. They are the real problem.

Now that the NR elk cap is most likely a thing of the past, get rid of the reduced price cow/calf/doe/fawn and make them full priced. Require PP's be used regardless of choice #. This would help in many aspects.
That would certainly make sense in some units that have a small number of type 6's, but I thought the reasoning behind the cheap cow tag in many units, was that it had to be cheap to incentivize more people to buy a tag in areas that have over-objective herds, but also have access issues. My experience is limited, but so far it has been that there's a big quality difference between type 4's and type 6's (especially if you're coming for a short period of time, from out of state).

Just brainstorming here- I think we could fix the problems within a generation if we lobby the government to absolutely ban or make videography extremely expensive on public land. Make it cost prohibitive and create real pain for any “influencer” who benefits financially in any way even if it’s getting a free t shirt. They are the real problem.
The problem was coming regardless all the influencer did was put the gas peddle to the floor. The damage has been done and there is no turning back. Growing population and diminishing and limited resource. Your idea would have had to be in place 20 years ago and it would have kept us from speeding off the cliff we were eventually headed to anyway.

Last edited:
That would certainly make sense in some units that have a small number of type 6's, but I thought the reasoning behind the cheap cow tag in many units, was that it had to be cheap to incentivize more people to buy a tag in areas that have over-objective herds, but also have access issues. My experience is limited, but so far it has been that there's a big quality difference between type 4's and type 6's (especially if you're coming for a short period of time, from out of state).
Incentivizing was a large part of the original reason to have the red price tags. But to a large degree the need for that incentive is gone. May very well still be a need but I think those units are of a small number. Just a quick glance at the leftover cow/calf tags from 2021 only shows 23 or so units/types that went undersubscribed after the leftover draw. Demand and in many cases number of tags has changed so much since these were rolled out that I think its time to revisit the pricing and draw structure.

Not sure what you mean by quality difference between 4 and 6 types. Since they are cow tags, I assume you are referring to ease of access and physical effort needed. I think this varies. My family has 3 type 6's and 1 type 4 this season. Those type 6's will take a day or two to fill, will involve elk coming out on our backs and a 2.5 hr drive from our house. The Type 4 will be done in an hour, will most likely be loaded whole in the truck and we will be hunting 15 minutes after the truck leaves the garage. 3 of us preferred the former with only my wife preferring the latter option. So I think quality is relative to the individual regardless of how much time or travel distance is involved

So I guess having 4 points in the WY Elk draw system (2022) is a good place to be for two years from now? (Sarcasm)

We burned our 3 MT points this year, CO next year 2023 (6), and then WY (6) in 2024. By that point, we will be back to 3 points in 2025 for MT again and have a lot of antelope points across the west to all the "off years" for chasing pronghorn. It is all about having a long term hunting plan and where you plan to hunt in the future.

By that point, we will be back to 3 points in 2025 for MT

I don't think you can ever have 3pts in MT without applying for a tag. Most you could have is 2pp and have to apply when you buy the 2nd. And with the way they do the returned tags decent chance a couple of your group draw.

You are correct though all about the long term planning. Just didn't want you to be banking on 3 MT pts is all.

So I guess having 4 points in the WY Elk draw system (2022) is a good place to be for two years from now? (Sarcasm)

We burned our 3 MT points this year, CO next year 2023 (6), and then WY (6) in 2024. By that point, we will be back to 3 points in 2025 for MT again and have a lot of antelope points across the west to all the "off years" for chasing pronghorn. It is all about having a long term hunting plan and where you plan to hunt in the future.
Very true but the point is your plan may need to be longer in term than you originally expected. When general tags become oil which is the way things are headed your plan may look entirely different. How do you make a plan with things changing so fast?

Incentivizing was a large part of the original reason to have the red price tags. But to a large degree the need for that incentive is gone. May very well still be a need but I think those units are of a small number. Just a quick glance at the leftover cow/calf tags from 2021 only shows 23 or so units/types that went undersubscribed after the leftover draw. Demand and in many cases number of tags has changed so much since these were rolled out that I think its time to revisit the pricing and draw structure.

Not sure what you mean by quality difference between 4 and 6 types. Since they are cow tags, I assume you are referring to ease of access and physical effort needed. I think this varies. My family has 3 type 6's and 1 type 4 this season. Those type 6's will take a day or two to fill, will involve elk coming out on our backs and a 2.5 hr drive from our house. The Type 4 will be done in an hour, will most likely be loaded whole in the truck and we will be hunting 15 minutes after the truck leaves the garage. 3 of us preferred the former with only my wife preferring the latter option. So I think quality is relative to the individual regardless of how much time or travel distance is involved
I have alot less experience with 4's and 6's than you. I just meant that in my limited experience, a DIY, public land hunter is generally going to find that type 4's offer access to elk if you're willing to work, while the type 6's often seem to have tougher access to good habitat, herds that move around alot and may not be accessible on public land, while you're there, etc.

If the market keeps declining, and gas increasing, it will be interesting to see what it does for demand from the people that hunt multiple states a year.
To your point will people be willing to continue to pump what?.. $500-$2000 into points so that someday they might have a chance at hunting some unit and species, especially with all the votes and changes to decrease opportunity.

I'm not sure what will happen but I think it's a logical argument.
I can see some dropping out of the points accumulation, but not the guys who hunt multiple states each year. Guys who line up multiple hunts per year are invested and passionate about the sport. Points are still cheaper than the actual hunt, so I think these types of hunters if money becomes a problem will just buy points instead of hunting. Potentially leading to greater point creep because instead of hunting a OTC tag they will build points.

But I'm sure some that are less passionate about western hunts will drop out and focus more on local opportunities, so it might offset.

Don't worry, we'll own nothing and like it soon and your requirement to own an electric vehicle will prevent you from getting too far out there anyway. Add in expansion of wolves, grizz and other predators to do our job and there'll be little need for us.
All these little pissing matches will be over.

Klaus_Schwab2.png
Sincerely,

Klaus

Don't worry, we'll own nothing and like it soon and your requirement to own an electric vehicle will prevent you from getting too far out there anyway. Add in expansion of wolves, grizz and other predators to do our job and there'll be little need for us.
All these little pissing matches will be over.

Looks like this forum has turned into an anti-America, anti-freedom rant and @ShootsManyBullets just beat me to seeing it.....

Well I just applied for a NR leftover cow/calf tag for $288. To add to prairie hunter and Buzz's comments, you could probably raise it to $400 or $500 and I'd still buy one if they're available, just to experience some Wyoming surf and turf every year.

I don’t blame Wyoming for wanting to match what they see around them (90/10) but I really hope they don’t split the 10% further with the outfitter pool. That will make the DIY tag in Wyoming to see point creep that we have yet to experience. It would probably have to switch to a 100% random with bonus point (still need that revenue!).

Come to Cali and you will see whats coming your way......they turn the vise a little at a time, til you lose the feelling in ur nutz, then they fall off and ya didnt even know it:(

They come from too many angles to be able to defend them all, just chipping away....AND THEY ARE VERY WELL CORDINATED/ORGANIZED....

Back