Wolves Have Been Released

Would love to see a pic of someone from WY standing over a dead-couple million dollar wolf.
Hopfully WY and not UT.
Utah Public Radio announced if a Colorado wolf is identified in UT killing livestock, it's not lawful to kill the wolf... advised to call UDWR to have a trapper collect the wolf and return to sender.

See attached file, if interested in more detail. My response to a prior response to a prior... you get the idea... Typical HT thread, are all off the topic of wolves released in Colorado. It's an interesting read when time permits. Thanks again for the graph catch though I would differ from your info shared on Wy Moose # when reading one study re the Jackson moose herd.
According to the graphics in this paper moose numbers peaked in 1988 and began declining seven years before wolves were even introduced in Yellowstone, a solid decade before packs were established in the valley.
But yeah, it's gotta be the woofs.

COLORADO - Today, Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) experts completed capture work in Oregon, finishing their work in the state. As a result of the CPW team’s work in Oregon, the agency released a total of 10 gray wolves onto state-owned public land in Summit and Grand counties, continuing the agency’s efforts to create a permanent, self-sustaining gray wolf population in Colorado. This total completes the agreement with Oregon for the December 2023 - March 2024 capture season to provide up to 10 wolves to Colorado. No further releases are planned this calendar year.

Number and description of reintroduced wolves:
NameSexAge ClassWeightColorPack
2302-ORFYearling68 lbBlackFive Points
2303-ORMYearling76 lbGrayFive Points
2304-ORFYearling76 lbGrayNoregaard
2305-ORMYearling93 lbGrayNoregaard
2306-ORFYearling66 lbGrayNoregaard
2307-ORMAdult108 lbBlackWenaha
2308-ORFYearling74 lbGrayNoregaard
2309-ORMAdult104 lbGrayWenaha
2310-ORFYearling71 lbGrayDesolation
2312-ORFYearling76 lbGrayNo Pack

Wolves are hunted in Wyoming.

Colorado governor has already said wolves will never be hunted in Colorado.
That is pretty much what we are dealing with here on Oregon. I see no path politically where we end up having even a meager hunting season for them here. They are already causing a ton of damage to livestock and the state is spending millions of dollars scrambling to deal with them but no Democrat governor will support opening a season. They keep getting elected by the people in the I5 corridor and they will not take a stand that goes against the mentality the majority of those people share.

The only saving grace here is that the numbers of wolves we currently have seems to be about the maximum we can have without extreme livestock depredation so the state has been killing quite a few (and sending a few to Colorado!) to try to keep if from getting too crazy. Our biggest problem for game animals is the 7,000 plus (and growing) cougar population which also takes a tremendous amount of resources for wildlife bios to deal with.

That is pretty much what we are dealing with here on Oregon. I see no path politically where we end up having even a meager hunting season for them here. They are already causing a ton of damage to livestock and the state is spending millions of dollars scrambling to deal with them but no Democrat governor will support opening a season. They keep getting elected by the people in the I5 corridor and they will not take a stand that goes against the mentality the majority of those people share.

The only saving grace here is that the numbers of wolves we currently have seems to be about the maximum we can have without extreme livestock depredation so the state has been killing quite a few (and sending a few to Colorado!) to try to keep if from getting too crazy. Our biggest problem for game animals is the 7,000 plus (and growing) cougar population which also takes a tremendous amount of resources for wildlife bios to deal with.
Maybe the only way people become more aware is to publish the data. I,e. $X is what we pay ranchers for losses. I don't want wolves or cougars to be "political", but if you want to argue for management, it might be made more salient for people with $ amounts. Eventually people in Portland will ask why are we paying for wolf kills when we have all these other problems.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back