Wolves Have Been Released

I was upset about the reintroduction for awhile, still bummed. We lost, it wasn't a fair and square ballot, but we lost it. I could have tried harder, a no vote and $100 to RMEF isn't enough to stop these types of actions, and frankly isn't enough to validate my frustration at the outcome. Now I'll just try harder for the upcoming mtn lion ballot....

This is the sheet that pisses me off. How about the problem is the SSS and smoke a pack a day conservatives are the issue and continue to step on their d*ck? Pretty stupid, correct?
Do you think the majority of DOW management in Oregon are conservative? From what 2011 said happened in E. Oregon with ballot box biology affecting the caribou and moose population, sounds to me that the majorit just might be anti-hunting.

This is the sheet that pisses me off. How about the problem is the SSS and smoke a pack a day conservatives are the issue and continue to step on their d*ck? Pretty stupid, correct?
My comment wasn’t meant to necessarily be derogatory. It’s pretty easy to to link the two. We can literally look at a voting map and see that the wolf initiative passed because of the population centers in CO that voted blue. It’s also easy to look at states with no/limited predator hunting and see that they are almost all dominated by Democrats. California, oregon, Colorado, Washington. To think there is no connection would be sticking your head in the sand. I’m not saying republicans have it all figured out in the wildlife management front. I’ve voiced my displeasure with MT’s current wildlife politics several times but when it comes to predator management, the states that vote blue typically are the first to shut it down.

Here’s a viewpoint from Defenders of Wildlife and not speculation about what the pro-wolf community brings as an argument. Opening is dark days of yore when 136 woofs were exterminated between 1914-26. Oh no! Well goddamn, Yellowstone Act if 1872 was when I’m fairly confident there were natives living within park boundaries who were managed in much the same fashion, but Indians are not woofs, so we continue. 1995, reintroduction. Ungulates were managed, ecosystem balanced and riparian zone restored. At the top of this article is donation amounts $50-$1000 because annimals are depending on you! As has been mentioned already, presentation mirrors NRA tactics and it works. Appeal to the audience’s emotions and you could sell an ice maker in Siberia.

It’s also easy to look at states with no/limited predator hunting and see that they are almost all dominated by Democrats.
I think the correlation is with urban centers. Those who live in a city can say "yes" to wolves or bears or unicorns or whatever. They don't have to deal with them. The state of Washington has been dominated by democrats for a while. I think the shift is more recent.

Here’s a viewpoint from Defenders of Wildlife and not speculation about what the pro-wolf community brings as an argument. Opening is dark days of yore when 136 woofs were exterminated between 1914-26. Oh no! Well goddamn, Yellowstone Act if 1872 was when I’m fairly confident there were natives living within park boundaries who were managed in much the same fashion, but Indians are not woofs, so we continue. 1995, reintroduction. Ungulates were managed, ecosystem balanced and riparian zone restored. At the top of this article is donation amounts $50-$1000 because annimals are depending on you! As has been mentioned already, presentation mirrors NRA tactics and it works. Appeal to the audience’s emotions and you could sell an ice maker in Siberia.

It would interesting to see where those funds really came from. They sure as hell didn't come from Defenders, but if you can perpetuate a lie long enough it basically becomes the truth.

Not legally. Besides .... never and always are a long time.
Will take legislation to change it in Colorado and the way that state votes it will never happen. That state will be lucky to have hunting at all at the end of their current govs term. It is no secret he wants to eliminate it. I will UPS you a 12 pack if they ever hunt wolves legally in Colorado.

Will take legislation to change it in Colorado and the way that state votes it will never happen. That state will be lucky to have hunting at all at the end of their current govs term. It is no secret he wants to eliminate it. I will UPS you a 12 pack if they ever hunt wolves legally in Colorado.
He wants to eliminate a lot of things in CO and the USA, and I'm not talking about anything to do with the outdoors.

I live in the epicenter of wolf reintroduction in Wyoming, I have killed three moose since they were introduced, working on a fourth.
It's been 30 years, the moose aren't gone.

Glad success has been in your favor. I know many skilled elk hunters in the NW MT area that continue with their success, dialed in from multi gen family well regarded developed skills.

This is not a fairy tale creation - Meh, maybe it is, maybe not. Wyoming Game and Fish released this graph to present the specific moose / wolf population from 1995-2017.

Your thirty years covers this entire time frame. Grats on your success. On the other hand...

<Removed graph - apologies. Thank you @SAJ-99 for identifying the piece of garbage graph> Left it as an attachment for others to view for sake of the b.s. someone mischaracterised that I should have caught onto.
That said - the Moose numbers have drastically declined over the past thirty years (1995) since wolves were re-introduced to Wyoming. Interesting parrallel... and coincidental? meh... To each his or her own. As mentioned in my side note: Only change from 1995 = wolves and "Climate change". Bears and cats were present up until and continuing from 1995.

Side note: Yes, many variables exist. Climate change, etc. Outside of Climate change the only change to the predators is the wolf. Bears, lions, etc have been in the Jackson area.

Attachments

• 1703280706492.png
    1703280706492.png
    538 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Glad success has been in your favor. I know many skilled elk hunters in the NW MT area that continue with their success, dialed in from multi gen family well regarded developed skills.

This is not a fairy tale creation - Meh, maybe it is, maybe not. Wyoming Game and Fish released this graph to present the specific moose / wolf population from 1995-2017.

Your thirty years covers this entire time frame. Grats on your success. On the other hand...

View attachment 307321

Side note: Yes, many variables exist. Climate change, etc. Outside of Climate change the only change to the predators is the wolf. Bears, lions, etc have been in the Jackson area.
Left scale is mislabeled Elk Population, which raises some concern for me regarding accuracy. I saw a population study of Yellowstone and the '88 fires there changed everything. Moose population steadily declined on loss of old forest, while elk population rose because of the same. This was pre wolf., so picking that as a start date may mean someone was looking at selling an idea. Even in that study they admitted up front that counting moose is hard and accurately counting them almost impossible. the drop from 6000 to 2000 makes me wonder if the counting method changed and they didn't or couldn't restate the past counts.

Heard rumor mill of 4 of them already by Oak Creek/Phippsburg. Carry on!
That would be awesome but I’ve also heard rumor of wolves over there previously. The rumor mill should be interesting in the days to come. Would be cool if they released the colar data in a year or so.

Even in that study they admitted up front that counting moose
See attached file, if interested in more detail. My response to a prior response to a prior... you get the idea... Typical HT thread, are all off the topic of wolves released in Colorado. It's an interesting read when time permits. Thanks again for the graph catch though I would differ from your info shared on Wy Moose # when reading one study re the Jackson moose herd.

Attachments

• Moose-Day-Report-2022-2.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Back