Wolves Have Been Released

IMO, us, "hunters" have experienced the shitty manner predators are regulated.
Lot of people unfortunately dont understand that living in a bubble. A lot harder to elk hunt these days due to ballot box biology, esp when due to lower elk numbers (from predation) youre limited to a five day spike season.

Easier to kill elk with weeks of elk seasons and multiple elk tags.

The things you don't see or haven't seen, have made a huge impact to public land elk hunting in the mountains.

They elk are on private ag fields and in big gaggles in the open because they don't want to be in the mtns where the wolves have and continue to pick them off. Elk behavior has changed. Wolves love to hunt lone elk in rougher forest country. The elk that used to creep away from bigger herds after the rut into the mountains for seclusion do not do that anymore if they want to survive, even on zero snow years like this year. Bummer deal for some folks that would prefer to have a handful in the "mountains" in the fall.
This is exactly what has happened in certain Oregon hunting units too (with general lack of predator management). Ive seen it first hand over the past few decades

I think there is something to this, It is possible, maybe even likely that wolves and other predators with there superior sense of smell can detect CWD long before the infected animal starts to feel "woozy". It would not be long and the predators would learn that the infected animal was an easy target and take them out early in the progression of the disease. This would greatly reduce the amount of prions that the animal would spread. On down side wolves and other predators likely also contribute to the spread in that they can travel long distances in a short amount of time and prions likely go through them just like chokecherry pits through a black bear.
That last piece would happen eventually anyway once the animal died. Vultures, coyotes, foxes, crows are all going to spread the prions. So much work and research still to do I guess.
From @Hyhunter q&a

Studies have shown that passing CWD-infected elk brain tissue through the coyote digestive tract reduced the amount of prions available to cause infection.

CWD and multiple other items are addressed.... rather interestingly... in their faq
1703255953982.png

I strongly believe CWD can be reduced through the selective targeting of predators. Conceding that human hunters too are predators and it’s plausible we indirectly limit CWD by reducing herd numbers. But none of us would willingly sacrifice a tag shooting a deer that we suspected was dying of CWD. Lions, wolves, bears, coyotes work year-round targeting easy prey. Yes, if these predators target livestock, manage accordingly. I think the producers most affected could be they who lease grazing and have their stock out in the mountains where it’s harder to watch the stock. Here’s something from CPW regarding lion depredation and CWD. The spokesperson makes a compelling argument based on scientific data that lions kill infected animals several months prior to the animal dying of CWD. Thereby reducing the exposure to the herd by removing the sick animal before other herd are exposed to CWD.

NEXT UP - Colorado ballot box biology: Cougars.

Initiative 101 “still honors the intent of the original initiative by calling out trophy hunting as a problem,” said Samantha Bruegger, the manager of the Cats Aren’t Trophies campaign. “Both initiatives really get at banning trophy hunting of mountain lions and bobcats.”

Enough international $$$, as shown with forced wolves onto Colorado landscape versus the natural progression of wolves, cougars are the new treat for naive Colorado city shopping "adult" signatures to introduce a ballot to ban cougar hunting.

Pandora's box has opened to the international funding $$$ campaigns for The Center for BS Diversity, Defenders of Wildlife, Earth Justice... in support of "Cat's Aren't Trophies". Ballot Box Biology has shown its success!

"Be it Enacted by the People of the State Colorado:

SECTION 1. In Colorado Revised Statutes, add 33-4-101.4 as follows: 33-4-101.4.

Wild cats – declaration of intent – hunting season - penalty. (1) THE PURPOSE AND INTENT OF THIS SECTION IS TO LIMIT THE INHUMANE AND UNSPORTING TAKING OF MOUNTAIN LIONS, BOBCATS AND LYNX AND TO PROVIDE FOR A LIMITED SEASON AS REFERENCED HEREIN, BUT NOT TO REQUIRE ANY SEASON AT ALL. THESE PROVISIONS ARE INTENDED TO MINIMIZE NEEDLESS ORPHANING OF THESE ANIMALS’ YOUNG. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION SHALL BE SO CONSTRUED."

Attachments

• Colorado Initiative 101 Cougars.pdf
    250 KB · Views: 1
Colorado Moose will be gone soon. Moose are the first animal to be impacted by wolves when they are re-introduced.
I live in the epicenter of wolf reintroduction in Wyoming, I have killed three moose since they were introduced, working on a fourth.
It's been 30 years, the moose aren't gone.

Colorado should also vote on a State recipe. Some Pueblo chile crockpot low? Yeah.

Ok, I watched the release video, I found a closeup of the gov's face as he opened the cage door:

excited the waterboy GIF

We still have moose around here.
So long as other predators are properly managed (e.g., there are no far flung restrictions on lion and bear hunting), the intro of wolves won't be as impactful.

The real danger is when there are far-reaching restrictions on controlling other predators (arising from activist DFW commissioners or ballot box biology), that over the long term (15+ years) there will be a significant change to the landscape as far as hunters/tags are concerned.

Having said that, as I've posted elsewhere in these forums via a recent article that focused on wolf/moose populations in NE Oregon, some (including biologists) believe that wolf expansion into E. Washington was why a budding herd of forest caribou could not establish, and in fact disappeared. Same with the moose population that started to establish in NE Oregon. In combination with Oregon's 1990s ballot box biology restrictions on other predator control (lions and bear), wolves moving in took care of the Oregon moose (though some are still around).

This means that assuming CO wolves establish and populate (which they will), and expand, then if CO voters also pass lion and bear restrictions, though it will take a while after that, eventually CO hunters will have a lot fewer tag options. Just my opinion (and based on what I've seen locally here in OR).

So long as other predators are properly managed (e.g., there are no far flung restrictions on lion and bear hunting), the intro of wolves won't be as impactful.

The real danger is when there are far-reaching restrictions on controlling other predators (arising from activist DFW commissioners or ballot box biology), that over the long term (15+ years) there will be a significant change to the landscape as far as hunters/tags are concerned.

Having said that, as I've posted elsewhere in these forums via a recent article that focused on wolf/moose populations in NE Oregon, some (including biologists) believe that wolf expansion into E. Washington was why a budding herd of forest caribou could not establish, and in fact disappeared. Same with the moose population that started to establish in NE Oregon. In combination with Oregon's 1990s ballot box biology restrictions on other predator control (lions and bear), wolves moving in took care of the Oregon moose (though some are still around).

This means that assuming CO wolves establish and populate (which they will), and expand, then if CO voters also pass lion and bear restrictions, though it will take a while after that, eventually CO hunters will have a lot fewer tag options. Just my opinion (and based on what I've seen locally here in OR).
Yes. The biggest problem with the wolf re-introduction in CO is the liberals will fight against management at all costs. Wolves aren’t a problem if managed but that won’t happen in CO.

Back