Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wife's First Big Game (pic heavy)

Grady

We got back from Wyoming late last week. I had gone up at the end of September to see if I could find this guy.

IMG_0196.jpg

I'd photographed him over the summer but upon arrival he was nowhere to be found. I suspect he's probably in someone's freezer already.

I hunted hard for six days and saw niether hide nor hair of him. Lots of deer, spikes and does, lots of sheds
IMG_0327.jpg

but nothing mature that I wanted to take home.

During my wanderings I found and old stone "cabin"

IMG_0349.jpg

That included the only antique gun I've ever found. Well, kinda....

IMG_0353.jpg

I bet that old Savage could tell some stories.

My wife and I also had antelope tags and when she flew in last Monday we turned our attention to antelope

I tried to do the digiscoping thing, but I think I need to get Oak, Schmalts or Miller to give me some lessons cause as you can see, my photography skills are not up to the high level set by this forum.
IMG_0363.jpg

The fearless antelope hunter.
IMG_0376.jpg

Luckily she put everything together when it mattered and put her first big game animal down with a 137 yard shot. I was pretty happy........
IMG_0379.jpg

The next day I found "my " antelope. Not big, but one of the larger ones in the area.
I had to try the before/after pictures like you guys do with my little Canon1100 with a 3X zoom that is blurry but you can recognize him.

IMG_0407.jpg

And after....
IMG_0415.jpg

As you can see, I'm a sucker for sticker points and "trash".

IMG_0421.jpg

In conclusion, we had a great time out west. Hopefully this will be the first of many hunts for her. I'm looking forward to heading up to Indiana in a few weeks to hunt whitetail there.

Best of luck to everyone on the rest of their season,

G

Last edited:
Looks like a great hunt Grady. Congrats to you and your pretty hunting partner.

Looks like a hell of a hunt.
Thanks for the pictures.

Grady, I need you to get your Wife to call mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTG on two nice bucks and also I am as Jealous as can be of all the guy who have their wives as hunting partners. Lonesome John :(

Very cool Grady. Glad you had such a great hunt. Congrats to both of you. Thanks for sharing.

That looked like a fun and great hunt with two beautiful bucks.

There is nothing like your family hunting with you. My wife, 15 yr old daughter, and 13 yr old son goes with me every chance they get. Life is good!

way to double up and with your wife to boot. Life is good! Nice find on the sheds and the old Savage. Wonder what the story behind it is? Pretty cool.

GPS coords to the shed antlers ;)??? ;)[/QUOTE said:
Probably wouldn't help you. unless you just wanted to find sheds. All things considered, I think its on a wintering ground for the deer. I was there for nine days of the season and never saw anything on the hoof near as big as the sheds I found (which included two matched sets I might add and three singles). We only saw one muley bigger than a forkhorn which was taken by a buddy of mine. Not the greatest picture.......

IMG_0401.jpg

I tend to think it would get better later in the season (or with more colder weather) but I'm certainly not one to give advice considering I had to eat my deer tag.

: )

Just got back from Wyoming and my wife got her first big game animal as well. Just a doe but I think it's got her hooked.
I'm new to this how do you post a picture.

Grady...congrats to both you and your wife on the goats, they look like nice ones...thanks for sharing the pics.
That old savage must have been from the last guy who was looking for that huge mulie in that spot...:p

That old savage must have been from the last guy who was looking for that huge mulie in that spot...:p

That would make for one old deer. Judging from some of the other stuff in that cabin/sod hut I would say its close to 100 years old. And if that were true I'd have a 200 + horn pile of sheds!

Grady...congrats to both you and your wife on the goats, they look like nice ones......:p

Thanks,

Hers was actually bigger than mine. Right at 14 but with good mass and huge bases. I was really proud of her. I hunted for several years before getting anything much over 12. But after several years of "armed hikes" you really appreciate success.

Hopefully her first trophy wasn't "too easy" for her..... : )

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back