Caribou Gear Tarp

Where does Randy purchase his deerskin mittens at?

Here's an older thread on the very subject, unless Randy gets different ones now. Welcome to the forum!

I got tired of the el cheapos that only lasted a few seasons and that weren't as warm as they should be. When I was last visiting my Mom, who lives in Duluth, I went on a quest to find the best chopper mitts I could. These are top notch. I have two pairs and I've been abusing them for the last few seasons. They are great.

Frost River Trading Company - https://www.frostriver.com/pennsylvania-choppers/

Cost is a bit more than what you can get chopper mitts on Amazon, but very good. Maybe I am a chopper mitt snob, but these are much better than others I have used. Given how many pairs of these I've sold over the years, maybe I should start the Big Fin line of chopper mitts.

I have a pair with wool liners that I bought 30+ years ago. I still wear them. Love those old mitts. They are the only thing that keep my hands warm when it is really cold.

There is also a guy/shop (I believe in Ely, MN ) that makes bomb proof moose hide to order. I think they are 49. They don't take cards though....I'll get the website.

I have a pair with wool liners that I bought 30+ years ago. I still wear them. Love those old mitts. They are the only thing that keep my hands warm when it is really cold.
Same for me. The key to the chopper mitten warmth for me is the two layer system which includes an extra large leather chopper mitten and a military interior wool mitten with a shooting finger separate index finger pocket. Toasty warm and quickly ready to shoot.

These are a bit extreme for hunting, but they're lifesavers for ice fishing, snowmobiling, chopping wood etc all winter. Handmade mittens from local Cree craftspeople. This particular pair I was given in Fort Severn, they're brain-tanned caribou hide with polar bear fur trim, an old trapper friend I was doing some work with had them made for me the old way. The liner is thick wool felt, plenty roomy enough to wear another pair of gloves underneath. You can pick up similarly made pair, usually with commercially tanned deer or moose hide and beaver or rabbit trim for around $150 Canadian. The pair I have is priceless.

GKhTHia.jpg

When you guys say "cold" what are you meaning? What's the useable temp rating of these types of mitts?

Throw a "hot hand" pack in one, and they will go down colder then I would want to hunt in. Without the warmer, I've been in the single digits with ~10mph wind with no problems. But that was with the old pair Bigfin had an Amazon link to from another thread. These definetly look better built, but with the same liner. But when the time comes to replace my old ones, I know who I will be calling.

I got my Frost River choppers in the mail but it got me wondering... Do I need to treat the leather? Recommendations?

I don't treat the leather on mine.

My family knows that the safe gift for me is chopper mitts from Frost River; two new pairs came this week. I too often drop my right mitten while in hot pursuit and I loose it along the way. I need to find a left-handed hunter who uses these same mitts in hopes he loses as many left mitts as I lose right mitts. We could match up the strays and make some new pairs.

They should come with some sort of treatment. Read any lit included with them. Then contact them to be certain. If not, you can either oil or silicone them. Personal preference really. Neatsfoot or mink oil is more traditional and silicone more modern. All the leather chopper mitts I make get Silicone treatments and I recommend to the future owners to continue with silicone waterproofing.

Got a pair of moose hides from Henry's the other day (a write up and pics are in the campfire). They are awesome. I conditioned with Obernaufs.

Attachments

• 20191222_082758.jpg
    20191222_082758.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
I don't treat the leather on mine.

My family knows that the safe gift for me is chopper mitts from Frost River; two new pairs came this week. I too often drop my right mitten while in hot pursuit and I loose it along the way. I need to find a left-handed hunter who uses these same mitts in hopes he loses as many left mitts as I lose right mitts. We could match up the strays and make some new pairs.
I'm just curios as to what size you run?

I got my Frost River choppers in the mail but it got me wondering... Do I need to treat the leather? Recommendations?

Over time the snot driplets I wipe from my nostrils season mine like a cast iron pan. 2 or 3 yrs of this builds up a semi-waterproofness that's almost impenetrable from any outside moisture. The trick is to get it anywhere other than your off hand around the area the index finger resides in.

Forgot my choppers in Colorado this year and holy moley did I get some funny looks asking for choppers. How does any hunter in a cold climate have no clue what a pair chopper is?

Back