Hunting mittens

sigpros

My son is wanting some mittens with the trigger finger for stand hunting. What brand do you guys like? I want to get him some good ones that will keep his hands warm.

My son is wanting some mittens with the trigger finger for stand hunting. What brand do you guys like? I want to get him some good ones that will keep his hands warm.
You might try Camofire.com
They have been featured recently with a few different options...

The best mittens I’ve used are from Kinco. Their leather outers can be waterproofed. They don’t have a ‘trigger finger’ which I prefer as it defeats the purpose of mittens. As an added bonus, they’re inexpensive and found at your local feed store.

I use a pair of Burton boarding mittens that are oversized. Hot hands inside and easy to throw off quickly for a shooting opportunity. I find this to be the best option for me. I can withstand the cold for a few minutes to take a barehanded shot.

I will use elk hide mittens with sherpa lining, or i have a hand muff. Both i can put hot hands in. Mittens do not have a trigger finger. I can easily pull the mittens off when i need to take a shot. I normally keep the mitten on my left hand that hold the bow or stock of the gun. Mitten can also fit in my jacket pocket so if i need to shoot my hand slides right out and mitten stays in pocket.

The best mittens I’ve used are from Kinco. Their leather outers can be waterproofed. They don’t have a ‘trigger finger’ which I prefer as it defeats the purpose of mittens. As an added bonus, they’re inexpensive and found at your local feed store.
I have similar but the LL Bean model. I pull off the right hand to shoot.

Manzella fleece glomitts, not waterproof, with magnets instead of Velcro. Waterproof membranes = cold fingers.

Also, a young fella has to learn they key to not losing one is to use the clip to keep them together whenever they're not on your hands.

Used a pair of Black Ovis brand glomitts for the first time this year. Hunted a couple mornings low single digits, hands were able to warm back up after taking them off and putting them back on.

10/10 would buy again.

This might seem ghey AF to some of you, but the old battle hardened Arctic mittens and three finger mittens with dummy cords still work slick as all get out!

Yeah, I'd not get a trigger finger "mitten." It will be a compromise, give poor trigger control, and not keep hands as warm as actual mittens. Buy good quality mittens, wear a thin liner underneath, and attach them eskimo style with a cord running up each sleeve and across the back. Take the trigger hand mitt off for shooting.

I like Black Diamond Mercury mittens.

If you haven’t bought them yet I’ll sell you my first light ones for super cheap. Worn maybe twice.

If youre gonna go mittens, Leather w wool inserts are great for keeping hands warm

Ive found the best thing for stand hunting, though, is a fleece hand muff with a hand warmer or two inside...can wear light gloves or no gloves at all and hands will be plenty warm.

Leather mittens with wool insert/lining for anything cold.

Some light gloves are okay/nice for cool archery mornings - but in general i have found that you lose dexterity and dont gain enough warmth for it (relative to wool liners in a leather glove) with a lot of gloves.

Waterproof treated leather with a liner will keep your hands warm and dry and come off quick when you need to use them.

I have huntworth, the kind with all fingers open until you pull the cover over them for warmth. Walmart purchase. They do the job for me.

David
NM (and yes, it does get cold here)

I’m wearing these right now with first lite 1/2 finger wool inserts.
View attachment 308520

Do these have "fingered" insulation inside of them? I have a set of kinco mitts that are super warm but the insulation inside of them separates the fingers like a glove does and makes it a pain in the ass to wear a light liner glove with them.

If he's just sitting in a blind, consider a muff. Surely someone makes one that's down filled? Seems that setup would be the ticket with a regular pair of buckskin gloves.

Back